SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#156334 - 08/10/07 09:10 AM Talked to Yamaha/NP-30 Sustain Problem
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Well I just got off the phone with Yamaha. The tech thinks the keyboards sustain jack is faulty. He said that if I got it to work one time out of 50 points to a faulty sustain jack. Plus the pedal works with my other gear-showing that it's not a faulty pedal.

I'll be testing it out tomorrow with a Yamaha FC-5 pedal. If it does the same thing.. MusiciansFriend is getting this back, they can kiss my ass, and I'll have my wife order from a more reputable retailer.

**side note.., a local store down the street from me is selling the NP-30's (this is where I'm buying the FC-5), and he said he's got them at a great bargain of $399. Well if the FC-5 doesn't work I think I will try and work this guy down to the online price of $299 and buy it locally.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#156335 - 08/31/07 12:32 PM Re: Talked to Yamaha/NP-30 Sustain Problem
AndySocial Offline

Hi Folks
New to the Forum from UK - just bought NP-30 yesterday - very happy -but just sat down & Pedal polarity is now all wrong & can't find how to change it back...apologies if I've missed the solution in yr discussions
Andy

#156336 - 08/31/07 03:19 PM Re: Talked to Yamaha/NP-30 Sustain Problem
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I think I read it auto-sensed polarity on startup...

So switch off, make sure you aren't holding the pedal down, and restart...

Post back if this works or not, please.

#156337 - 08/31/07 05:30 PM Re: Talked to Yamaha/NP-30 Sustain Problem
Creepy-Fingers Offline

squeak_D already got it working, well, I mean he got a new one.

He even posted some demos!

#156338 - 09/02/07 05:07 AM Re: Talked to Yamaha/NP-30 Sustain Problem
AndySocial Offline

This is a bit annoying but...I solved it but I can't remember exactly how! It's just too stressful to replicate the problem now (wimp) -maybe later - however it seems that if the Polarity is reversed by stepping on the Pedal at Power-on - restarting the Np-30 and then some combination of holding down a note(s) while depressing and then releasing (or vice versa?) the pedal will fix it...maybe the more adventurous among you will establish exactly what works...But I think the answer is it ain't broke but is wired in an unusual way? Hmm...

#156339 - 09/03/07 05:38 AM Re: Talked to Yamaha/NP-30 Sustain Problem
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
The way I read the manual is, as Diki says, that the pedal type is auto-detected on powerup.

There is no indication in the manual that the polarity setting is remembered after power-off.

I would suggest that you should always power up the NP 30 with the sustain pedal plugged in and not depressed to ensure that the switch type is correctly identified.

#156340 - 09/04/07 05:30 AM Re: Talked to Yamaha/NP-30 Sustain Problem
AndySocial Offline

Thanks - and you are right -however the issue is what to do when after a few pints I fire up with my stupid foot on the pedal! But I'm grateful to find here is help out there for inebriate NP-30 users...Keep up the good work folks

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online