SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#15582 - 04/03/00 12:29 PM General tips for using Synth
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Hello to all,

On the Sk880/SK760/WK8/WK6/WK4 there are extensive synth capability. I have never used it before but I hear that some of my friends are able to create good sounds and even enhance the default sounds that come with the keyboard.

I was wondering if generalmusic-keyboard users can contribute some intructions, tips, procedures on how to use the synth option.

Greatly appreciated and hopefully this will start a good discussion.

Thanks

#15583 - 04/06/00 03:50 AM Re: General tips for using Synth
Equinox61user Offline

Hi,

One thing I did on my S2 and also on my Equinox61 is making sounds that use only one oscillator so I do not run out of Polyphony so early. Of course you can't do this with all sounds (especially not with the rich synth sounds), but for instance the Piano, the Electric piano, Organs etc still sound acceptable (not always). I believe this must be also possible on the WK/SK series (on the WX it was not possible, it had no editable synth engine, except for some simple params).

[This message has been edited by Equinox61user (edited 04-06-2000).]

#15584 - 04/06/00 10:22 AM Re: General tips for using Synth
sk880user Offline

Equinox61user,

Thank you for the input. Well that brings more questions to my mind. How would you do the following:

Have a complex sound that consists of two oscillators. when you play soft, the first will play, when you play hard the second will play.

Also I am very interested in creating a good piano sound. Have you ever enhanced the existing piano sound? It seems that the piano sounds on the GEM keyboards in general are lacking base in the middle octaves. What can you address this in the synth?

Thanks

#15585 - 04/07/00 02:57 AM Re: General tips for using Synth
Equinox61user Offline

sk880user,

You have several possibilities to let a different sound play depending on how soft/hard you play. I do not know which parameters the SK exactly has, but I expect at least the same as in the S-series. On the S, you can create a Drum kit. In a drumkit, the user can specify for each key (C1-C8) which sound (not only drum sounds are possible, but all sounds) must be played. In fact, the user can specify TWO sounds per key, the one played for example in the key velocity range from 0-60 and the second from 61-127. Such a drumkit acts as one really powerful soundpatch.
Another possibility on the S (must be on the SK also I think) is to create two tracks in a performance and divide the key velocity range between the two tracks. In that case, the range can also overlap: 0-70 for track 1 and 60-127 for track 2 for instance. Of course you can add another track, track 3 and divide for instance from 0-50, 40-80, 70-127. Drawback: each "layer" takes one track.
Again another possibility on the Equinox (maybe also on the SK, I do not know) is to create more than one layer in the sound patch, and to divide the velocity range between those layers.

How to create the coolest Piano sound?? The problem is that I am already a bit satisfied with the standard piano in the Equinox, but most users of GEM instruments are not satisfied I agree. The options you have are: Use the sample translator, or buy the Bosendorfer Piano sound (I believe this is an S Sound disk, must be really good, but takes more than one meg of sample ram) and replace the piano sound with the new one.
When you want to create the best piano with the sounds already present in the SK, then I say: use the drumpatch and/or sound layers. On the Equinox there is a pianosound (MKPiano I believe) that mixes a pianosound and a hammer-sound, sounds nice, but again especially in the higher regions.
When creating a drumkitpatch, you can keep the standard piano for the lower and higer regions and a "new" piano for the middle.

Changing the basic sound of the piano can be done via the filters (Cut Off/Resonance). I always have the Cut Off parameter connected with an analog pedal (I connected my standard volume pedal to the Pedal 1 port, and configured this Pedal to be Analog and assigned the Cut Off parameter to it). Changing the Cut Off parameter makes a sound changing between dark and bright. This is really nice with a sound like the Strings. Maybe that's what you want with the piano sound, to make it more dark or bright in the middle?
(Also try out the Resonance, but watch out for your speakers!!)

I wished there was an electronic version of the SK manual, like there is for the Equinox so I could read the specs of the SK...

I hope I helped you at least a bit!

[This message has been edited by Equinox61user (edited 04-07-2000).]

#15586 - 04/07/00 12:48 PM Re: General tips for using Synth
sk880user Offline

Equinox61user,
Thank you very much. I appreciate the time and effort you put in to answer these questions. To be honest with you, when it comes to programming sounds, I am only a beginner and all kinds of tips help.

I am hoping also to rekindle deep discussion in this area between GEM users.

#15587 - 04/10/00 07:57 AM Re: General tips for using Synth
Equinox61user Offline

sk880user,

;-) I am not a professional synthesizer user, I have used a WX2 for three years (but didn't use the styles...), and only a few months ago I got my first synth. Programming takes much, much time (I don't do it often, even on the Equinox, I only created four, five sounds in three weeks) but it is really cool (if you like it of course).
Start with the simple things and take a few nights to learn. Maybe it is nothing for you - programming and playing are two different things. I myself am a software engineer, so I like this kind of stuff: on the other side I'll never become a real music player. For me, playing is a hobby.

But, getting back to the point, how is the documentation of the sk880 regarding the synthesizer engine?

Btw, sometimes I get the feeling that there are users of this keyboard discussion that think the name "GeneralMusic" stands for "Generic", and post all kind of questions (not related to GEM).

#15588 - 04/10/00 11:23 AM Re: General tips for using Synth
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Quoted;
Btw, sometimes I get the feeling that there are users of this keyboard discussion that think the name
"GeneralMusic" stands for "Generic", and post all kind of questions (not related to GEM).

I absolutely agree with this, as since the new bbs, I actually wanted to ask to Nigel to change the name into "GEM" ...but completely forgot about it since his illness.
While he is back now we could all ask him to change the name...
Fred

#15589 - 04/10/00 12:00 PM Re: General tips for using Synth
sk880user Offline

The documentation for sk880 are not too bad. They are precise, cover every feature, and organised. In other words, a good manual.

What I would really like to see is a book, by GEM or a third party, that covers tips, tequniques, and detailed procedures on how to get the best of a keyboard. I bet you that a book like this would be purchased by every single GEM keyboard owner.

This is also a great buisness opportunity.

by the way, I agree with you guys about changing the forum name to GEM.

P.S. there are no online documentations. I have no problem with this as long as they have hardcopy documentation which I take with me to studios, performance gigs.. and so on.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online