SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#155645 - 07/13/03 02:47 PM Re: 6/8 time
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
A little "Drifters heavy"....... perhaps?

#155646 - 07/13/03 08:16 PM Re: 6/8 time
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
.. and nobody mentioned the original?!? .... "Earth Angel" by The Penguins .... When we would do "the oldies" at a gig (sorry UD ) and go into that chord progression, our sax player (who NEVER liked RnR) would say I knew a million of them ....
Which brings me to a question .... in 1958 one of the #1 hits in the country was "Little Star" recorded by The Elegants ... 5 guys I knew from Staten Island, NY ... a couple of nights ago I was riding in the car, changing stations on the radio and I came across an 'oldies' station playing "Little Star", but it was NOT by The Elegants .... I had never heard a cover of the song before, and the DJ never said who it was.... Anybody out there know???
t.

#155647 - 07/14/03 06:25 AM Re: 6/8 time
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Dan,

I might be missing it but I never could find a good 12/8 pattern on my X1.

Tom

Tom

#155648 - 07/14/03 01:31 PM Re: 6/8 time
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Tony, that song Little Star[I always thought it was "where are you little star"] was #1 for 1 week in 1958[ Aug 25,]..Words and music. Vito Picone and Arthur Venosa..Were they your pals? I don't recall any other group charting that song..Vito was lead singer with the Crescents before the Elegants, Along with Carmen Romano,Ronnie Jones and Patti Croccitto[all from New Dorp H.S. in the Bronx] combined to release Vito's "Darling come home" it sold locally but the average age of the group were 15 , and nationally did not fair well. Pat left and worked as a June Taylor Dancer.Ronnie left in '56.. Vito and Carman hooked up with James Moschello, Frank Targona and Arthur Venosa and along came "Little star".. I believe a group called the Secrets also did Little star..Later the Elegants toured with Bobby Freeman,Jack Scott, and Dion and the Belmonts.. DNJ may also recall some of the guys..Were you close to the group Tony? Did you go to New Dorp H.S.?

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 07-14-2003).]

#155649 - 07/14/03 01:51 PM Re: 6/8 time
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Cavanaugh:
Dan,

I might be missing it but I never could find a good 12/8 pattern on my X1.

Tom

Your right , were did that come from ?

#155650 - 07/14/03 02:27 PM Re: 6/8 time
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I alternated sets with the Elegants last year at a show in New Jersey. Pretty sure the guy I talked to was Vito, the lead singer. He told the story of how an 8 yr old wrote the original melody (Beethoven) and he took it to the R&R charts !
Anyway - I believe the popular oldies remake is by the Tokens (Lion sleeps tonight).

#155651 - 07/14/03 10:45 PM Re: 6/8 time
Big Red Offline

Loc: Canada
Sorry, UD. Little Star was covered by Dion and the Belmonts.

#155652 - 07/14/03 11:52 PM Re: 6/8 time
KN_Fan Offline

"Hopelessly Devoted To You" Is this 6/8?

#155653 - 07/15/03 05:41 AM Re: 6/8 time
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Fran .... How do you know so much about the Elegants? .... did you visit the web site, or did you know them personally? ...
Funny story about how I first met Vito ... I'm in high school and I'm attending one of the usual Friday nite "sock hops" at one of the schools ... there is this really pretty girl putting the '45s' on record player, so I go over and start 'laying down the line' ... we're talking for a while, and I think I'm doing ok when one of my buddies comes over and says 'are you nuts?!?' ... that's Vito Picone's girl friend!!! ... about a second later, over walks Vito to reclaim his girl ... Staten Island being a small place (BTW New Dorp HS, which I did not attend, is in SI, not the Bronx), some months later I find out that the girl I'm dating (who is now my wife) is first cousin to 'Vito's girl' !!! ...
I 'knew' the guys because while they were on the road to fame and fortune (however fleeting) they would appear at HS dances we were playing ... and as I said, SI being a small community at the time, we pretty much knew about everybody, especially in the Italian neighborhoods ...

UD ... Yes, Vito is still 'touring' with a group he calls The Elegants ... he is the only original member, but that group has been together for some time... and I believe the 'original' was written by Mozart? ....

Big Red .. thinking back to the recording I heard, I believe it did sound like Dion ... It was a voice I thought I knew but at the time, couldn't place .....

PS New Dorp HS also lays claim to having one of its alumni later become a first round draft pick of the Oakland Raiders in the early 70s .... Mike is my first cousin ... I TOLD you SI was a small community ...
t.

#155654 - 07/15/03 06:16 AM Re: 6/8 time
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Dan,

It came from Uncle Dave's comment (the second one on this thread). I thought maybe you would tell me that there was a 12/8 pattern and I was somehow missing it.

I find it a little odd that the X1 has every conceivable obscure ethnic style as standard equipment but no 12/8 pattern when thousands of songs use that style.

Tom

Tom

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online