SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#123110 - 07/15/03 08:55 AM Alternitive entertainment.....
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I've been hosting a Trivia game on Sunday nights, and having a ball doing it. The club called me to ask for a recomendation for a host, and I was open at the time, so I took it ... not knowing what to expect.

Well, it's been a lot of fun, and although it's not a rest for my voice ... it's not as demanding as 4 song sets either. I do 2 games starting at 7 and 8:30, and I mix in lots of "Name that tune" or "Who sang this..." as well. It's a 3 hr show in all.

It's been a popular addition to the club, and it makes for some good, wholesome family fun that people can do over dinner or drinks. Kids even have a ball with it. They are the best at Movie, TV and Pop Stars questions.

As you know, I am somewhat of a spokesperson for the "Anti-Karaoke" movement, so this was a great way to add some additional entertainment value to the local market where I work. Actually ....the "K" word is diminishing around here. About 10 years ago, it was everywhere and the host got BIG$$$ to do it, but today's hosts are mostly out-of-work musicians, or dj's who are working at the same pay scale as the rest of the pack. It all comes around in circles. It's still very popular in some places, but there are lots of rooms that are finding out that the figthting, cursing and rudness that follows this "entertainment" is not worth the trouble.

I would never pay premium prices for entertainment, bring a date to dine at a place where some drunken bozo is trying to impress some barfly with his masterful impression of someone I don't like anyway! (But that's just me.....)The most popular song requests are usually loud rock stuff, like Bob Jovi and Joan Jett. Simple, moronic lyrics that anyone can do. The ones that try Sinatra really crack me up.... Everybody thinks they can swing. Sheesh.

Trivia gives me an outlet to entertain on a personal level, mix in some music questions, and small song snippets, and meet alot of nice people along the way. I recommend it to any of you that copuld use another night of work ... especially on the weekdays. It's even led to some paying music jobs because in talking to the people .... I'm passing out cards too ....... gotta keep up the marketing !

#123111 - 07/15/03 12:10 PM Re: Alternitive entertainment.....
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
The owner is OK, but don't we miss Jim Leary;maybe the best club owner when it comes to music and respect of musicians..Have you heard anything from him? Is he still with us?

#123112 - 07/15/03 12:16 PM Re: Alternitive entertainment.....
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
No clues. As far as the new owner goes:
I had a sub fill in for me a few weeks ago, and he went to the bar for a beer, and the bartender told him about the Entertainer's "NO DRINKING" policy. I fully agree with that, and it never affected me anyway. No one should drink at work. I don't care WHERE you work. It belittles the job and compromises performance. Hurray for Jack in taking a vocal stand against amature behavior, while accepting professional salaries.

#123113 - 07/15/03 01:07 PM Re: Alternitive entertainment.....
beachbum Offline

Loc: Austin
That's what Cocktail waitress are for to sneak you a couple brews. I Dj'd in LA five nights a week for 4 strait years and thank God for beer. You where not suppose to drink thier to. (but either bartender or waitress would always float you your fre-beeze. Some folks don't belive in it and that's your choice. Sometimes a little pick me adds to the performance... At least mine performance, since I'm such a moody b*stard.

DJ

[This message has been edited by beachbum (edited 07-15-2003).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online