SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#155063 - 02/24/06 09:25 AM Re: All you Mac users
Booby Offline

Hi,

I'm running my Windows XP since several years and I've never reformatted it (something I did few times with the old Win98). The major problems are with internet but with an antivirus and a spyware I'm reliably working all the day with my pc. I've seen instead a lot of Mac users loose a lot of time while fighting with the 200 versions of OsX available with compatibility problems, plug in validations and the like. Since 2002 I'm with the service pack 1 load and it's still running. Nobody I've heard considering this: how many time Mac user have lost passing from Os9 to OsX ? How many of the beautiful graphical skill are really useful ? How many time will they spend with the migration to Intel platform ?

I've nothing against Mac, but I've never found a person able to demostrate me the superiority of this system all considered: costs, reliability, servicing, spare parts, software available.
Everything must be weighted in the right way.

Cheers.

#155064 - 02/24/06 11:14 AM Re: All you Mac users
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Chony,

Most of the keyboard related programs, such as those created by Michael Bedesem, Jorgen Sorensen, Heiko Plate, and others, programs that we use on a daily basis, are not available in Mac format. Additionally, I am not aware of an Acid Pro Mac version, but one could exist.

All of my topographical mapping programs and marine navigational software is not available in Mac format either. And, to my knowledge there is no version of Dreamweaver, Versa Check, and dozens of other applications I use daily in the operation of a small business.

I have a few friends that switched to Mac during the past two years, and all but one came back to the PC claiming they were encountering problems. Guess I'll stick with the PC and the few headaches it produces.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#155065 - 02/24/06 12:22 PM Re: All you Mac users
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
I just added a mac mini last week. Mostly for internet. I'm looking for a good cheap sequencer program for the mac if any of you guys kow any.
I use both I couldn't download DonM's lying eyes with my pc but with the mac I clicked on it and it started playing.
I have XP and I haven't had to reformat it yet, and Gary is right my problem may be self inflicted but I'm getting too old to keep learning a new operating system and now windows is gonna come out with a new one this year.
I know people using 15 year old macs everyday.
I have both hooked up to one monitor and one mouse with a kvm switch.Push a button to switch between pc and mac, also they are networked together and on DSL.
One more thing I got the mac home last week plugged it into the trackball the tablet the mouse the network and the keyboard and monitor turned it on and everything worked instantly.
There is a little learning curve and some things I still do on the pc because it's there and I'm used to it.
But only time will tell if I have to replace this everytime MS says so.

#155066 - 02/24/06 02:39 PM Re: All you Mac users
ocomain Offline

Peter,

In late January I made the switch to the new Intel iMac after being a Windows user since 1990. I have no regrets and absolutely love learning my way around Mac OSX and using new and different applications, especially Garageband. One thing that I find especially exciting about the new Intel Macs is that the possibility of dual-booting and\or virtualization of Windows on the new Macs (at near-native speed) is becoming more feasible than ever before (if interested, I can provide a lot more details with appropriate links). I'll still run Windows because of certain software that I use but I am confident that soon I'll be able to run almost everything I need on the Mac!

Michael

#155067 - 02/24/06 04:59 PM Re: All you Mac users
shiral Offline

Loc: IL, USA
I hammer all these systems (automated/parallelized and run for most of the day) with production software for living. We run both memory intensive and CPU intensive jobs. My experience somehow is, if the program goofed, Linux and Unix systems kick out the program or stop execution without giving in to much sabotage. Macs to a little bit lesser extent. Windows is most likely to succumb to such and freeze. As a result Linux and Unix systems run for months without needing a reboot. Macs again to a little bit lesser extent. We had to schedule daily auto reboots on Windows machines to get things going smoothly on those.

Some people say Linux/Unix/OSX(Unix backend) machines are stable because not many programs run on them, but some say that's mostly because they are hard to crack due to their solid design.

This is just my experience. I don't meant to argue with or contradict anybody.

Shiral

[This message has been edited by shiral (edited 02-24-2006).]

#155068 - 02/24/06 05:57 PM Re: All you Mac users
ptram Offline

Gary,

Quote:
Most of the keyboard related programs ... are not available in Mac format.

Well, there are a few that are only available on the Mac. I'm just thinking to SoundDiver, Unisyn, and K2000 Companion (a remote control for the Kurzweil).

Quote:
Additionally, I am not aware of an Acid Pro Mac version

The original author of Acid is now at Apple, and is the author of GarageBand. Consider it an updated, way more modern version of Acid.

Quote:
And, to my knowledge there is no version of Dreamweaver

DreamWeaver has been created on the Mac, and still exists. Plus, there are some nice easy web creation tools, like RapidWeaver and iWeb, that do not exist on Windows.

Best,
Paolo

[This message has been edited by ptram (edited 02-24-2006).]

#155069 - 02/24/06 06:06 PM Re: All you Mac users
ptram Offline

Mike,

Quote:
I'm looking for a good cheap sequencer program for the mac

If you think GarageBand, coming with every Mac, is not enough for your needs, you can order the inexpensive Tracktion (www.mackie.com) or Cubase SE (www.steinberg.de).

If you work mostly with audio, look at the free Ardour (www.ardour.org). Also, if you buy a MOTU or M-Audio audio interface, you get AudioDesk or ProTools LE/M-Powered.

Best,
Paolo

#155070 - 02/24/06 06:10 PM Re: All you Mac users
Musicman22 Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, Fl.
Quite an interesting topic....PC or Mac?

I'm so glad there were so many responses to this topic. When I originally started with computers I started with a Mac and my friend convinced me to switch to a PC which I did and he taught me allot about them. Everyone here has valid reasons for using the system they are using.
My friend that I just spoke of just had a major problem "again" with his PC and swore up and down he was switching to a Mac...well he didn't. My friends in California and N.Y. all use a Mac and of course love them and are in the music business.
For me, I'm having a hard time making this decision. My heart tells me to go with a Mac. My pocketbook says PC, and there won't be any learning curve with a PC which is a strong point.
There a other considerations too. If I go with a Mac...then it seems like starting all over again, although I'm not completely sure about that point.
If I go with a PC, well I'm not starting over again and it would certainly be much easier.
One point I found kind of interesting, I'm not sure if Gary or someone else made it and that is, 'the Mac usually has less programs running on it.' Well, if that's true, what difference does it make if it has fewer programs running on it as long as it runs without breaking down?

Well, back to my research and Michael please send me those links....email me.

To PC or not to PC? That is the question.

Peter

#155071 - 02/24/06 10:00 PM Re: All you Mac users
Jørgen Sørensen Offline

Loc: Denmark
Hi

=====================
travlin'easy wrote:,
Most of the keyboard related programs, such as those created by Michael Bedesem, Jorgen Sorensen, Heiko Plate, and others, programs that we use on a daily basis, are not available in Mac format.
=====================

Just to inform the Mac users:
Some of my programs will run on Mac. However I can not assist you installing the programs. Sorry.

These programs will run on Mac:

MDB Editor 1.00
midi2style 4.18
MIDI and Style Player 1.01
MIDI Mega Voice Cleaner 1.02
MIDI Note Event Cleaner 1.00
MIDI Revoicer 1.06
OTS Editor 2.04
Style Old Format Converter 1.04
Style Revoicer 1.08
Style Split and Splice 1.00
Voice Finder 1.07

Check http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software.htm

Regards
Jørgen

#155072 - 02/25/06 04:32 AM Re: All you Mac users
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Quote:
Originally posted by ptram:
Mike,

If you think GarageBand, coming with every Mac, is not enough for your needs, you can order the inexpensive Tracktion (www.mackie.com) or Cubase SE (www.steinberg.de).

I've tried to open a midi file in garage band and so far have not been able to do it. I haven't spent alot of time with it but I read in a forum somewhere that it won't open midi files, unless you load them in one track at a time. If you know of a way I'd be willing to give garage band a try.
On the PC I use powertracks pro a $49 program my needs are simple. I like to take a GM file change the volumes, the key, the instruments, maybe delete a couple of parts.
If I could add a vocal or guitar part that would be nice but I don't even use all the features built into power tracks.

I paid $499 with 512 of meg and a DVD burner and all the software, except midi, I need.
I'm new with a MAC and only time will tell if I made a good choice but I was going to replace my backup win 98 machine so instead of a cheap XP machine I thought I would try a mac for all the reasons outlined here.
The most amazing thing so far, like I've said, I plugged it in and everything worked no drivers to install.

qqqwq@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 02-25-2006).]

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online