SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#154227 - 08/14/07 07:14 AM Re: As successful as we are....
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
I don't know Zuki, but I too am happy for his success, because if what he is saying is all true, (and since that seems to corroborated by those here than know him) it means there is hope for the others in what has appeared to be an ever-shrinking landscape of opportunity for live musicians in this country. After rereading Zuki's later remarks, I apologize for my last post asking him for his secret, since he already gave his version of it--but i missed it first time around. From his own words re his doggedness and persistence, and the fact he posted here to ask help for overcoming a single drop of rejection in an ocean of acceptance, his secret is, evidently: CHUTZPAH! gotta get me some mo' o' that stuff, fo sho..MO

#154228 - 08/14/07 08:26 AM Re: As successful as we are....
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Yeah, I know this was a different century but for most of my gigging life the average gig was from 9pm to 1 or 2am. 45 min sets seperated by a "short call for (copious amounts of) alcohol". The end of the gig was followed by 1) a trip to IHOP for a 3am breakfast (if we were "unlucky") or 2) a long night of "partying" if we WERE lucky. This pattern could be repeated 3-4 nights a week. We lived like vampires and just the thought of playing a second gig during a 24 hour period would have us throwing up (which we were probably already doing).

Obviously, to be able to play 2-3 gigs in a 24hr period and still have time to practice, telemarket yourself, browse the net, kiss the wife, feed the dog, etc., requires that one live an exceptionally clean and wholesome life. However, us old guys know that this is not only counterproductive to the creative process, but goes against everything we musicians stand for. Damn, I hate progress.

chas

BTW, you can check the accuracy of the above with any of the old geezers on this board, at least those who can still remember the "good ol' days".

#154229 - 08/14/07 10:13 AM Re: As successful as we are....
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Still 'living the life' chas, here

Admittedly, if I get in two gigs a day, it involves playing from 1 p.m. until maybe 9 or 10 p.m., but at least I don't have to do the 4 am IHOP routine any more...!

And, as financially rewarding as the senior circuit can be, us 'old schoolers' might have a problem calling a 1 hr show to a captive audience a 'full' gig, especially as the time spent traveling between gigs (if you are doing three or so!) is probably longer than the time onstage...

Me, I like playing, not driving!

Don't get me wrong... the senior circuit is a 'real' job, just completely different in time scale to just about anything else in the live music industry. Restaurants, clubs, pool decks, most gigs will want at least three hours or more of music. Do you do any gigs outside of senior homes, zuki?

#154230 - 08/14/07 10:34 AM Re: As successful as we are....
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Chas, you "nailed it". That's the way the club days were. I actually played at the Sportsman in Lexington after hours for years. 1:00 AM to 4:00 AM six nights. All the nightime folks gathered there. Went to work at 7:30 AM the next day. Worked 5:00 PM to 4:00 AM on week-ends. Of course, for me, there was no equipment moving when I had a house job, which was most of the time.

Now I limit my week to 5 jobs-two house jobs and three Country Club jobs a week. These are three-four hours, so thats a little easier and more lucrative than in an out of nursing homes and assisted living places, which I don't do (except as a volunteer-money goes to Kentuckians for Nursing Home Reform, a charity I am involved with). Plus, my sons move, install and test my second set-up while I'm playing the first job. I also love my 3-4 nights a month at a country club where my B-3 and Rhodes live.

Zuki does it differe3ntly, and it works for him.

Congratulations!

Russ

#154231 - 08/14/07 02:03 PM Re: As successful as we are....
Beakybird Offline

I am probably about as successful as Zuki, and I haven't posted any demoes. But I will soon, I promise.

Zuki, the same happens to me. You live in a big metropolitan area. If you are good, which apparently, you are, then there will always be enough work for you. You don't have to have the trophy of every place on your roster.

There's always going to be jerks out there. Don't let them get to you. You are very blessed to be making a living.

Zuki, to make yourself feel better, you should do retail therapy and get yourself a PSR-S900. I am having so much fun, playing with the new voices. It's also great to hear a lot of styles I have been playing with some of the new megavoices, especially the Mega Nylon guitar. A lot of the Tyros 2 styles that I have sound better on the PSR-S900 as there are a few more Mega Voices. The same goes for the CVP-409 styles that a friend just sent me.

I have also been enjoying the Keyfax organ voices made for PSR1500 and above, that picked up at www.arrangerworkstaton.com. They are really cool.

Zuki, you are busting butt gigging. You deserve a new keyboard!

Beakybird

#154232 - 08/14/07 02:41 PM Re: As successful as we are....
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Bebop... Roland-arranger.com can host all the demos you care to post... We even have a dedicated forum for exactly this purpose.

Just open the 'additional options' sign on any post, and attach the file there. Nothing could be easier, and then just post a link to it here...

thanks Diki,
I got it posted in the Roland Forum but in the wrong place but it has now been moved. I will have to get the url an post it in the snythzone. thanks for your help.
Thanks To Donnie for your good words about this song in the email you sent me.
best to all,
Bebop

#154233 - 08/14/07 06:23 PM Re: As successful as we are....
zuki Offline

OK friends,

Not sure how this escalated into looking like some star with multiple bookings. It was not meant to become that and I am not a star - if so, I'd be in Hollywood

I am simply one who works hard at his craft, both in booking and practicing. I think if everyone busts their butts to get bookings, they will. I guess that's why I don't have time to post demos or other things because I put my all into performances and preparation.

I am very lucky to have grown kids and a wife that does most things around here so I can do the love I've always wanted. Some husbands/Dads don't have that freedom and that factors into the equasion too.

Enough of me please, but thanks to those who took time to respond - much appreciated.

I promise one day to post some instrumentals and vocals, all arranger style playing (sorry Fran)

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online