SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#154121 - 10/30/04 11:00 AM OT: Test your Internet Connection speed plus other interesting stuff... for free
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
You will need Java Runtime installed to do the tests. This is a good measuring tool to gauge your download, upload, and internet browsing speed. 'Maxspeed' shows your maximum thoroughput capability whilst 'YourSpeed' tells you your realtime (actual) speed. The other utilities are interesting too.

You can also determine if you are having connection speed problems by comparing your speed with actual sample graphs with true to life statistics for various Modem connection types. Also you can determine if your ISP and or Modem is giving you stated and or claimed speeds. In other words; is that 56K Modem really giving you 56K {limited to 53K by the FCC} speed capability? Same holds true with a Cable or DSL Modem. Or is your ISP shortchanging you by saying in your contract you get "****" this amount of speed (throughput/bandwidth) when in actuality you are consistently only getting "**" this amount?

Here is the link:

Maxspeed

Best regards,
Mike

PS: Have a good weekend everybody!

Off topic again:

Btw Gary, that pic of the new you looks like your sucking your gut in big time for the camera. Am I right? Even if everything else looks slim and trim and you still have a considerable ponch you could be putting yourself at risk for health related problems. According to the latest medical news anyway. Alcohol, notably your Kickapoo Juice is full of sugar and carbs and the resultant outcome is it goes straight to your waist as fat as you well know. Same with Beer drinkers. I've seen beer drinkers with bigger guts than a woman who's 9 months pregnant carrying twins.

Of course exercise is a great way to trim down excess belly fat. We all could use more exercise in are daily lives that's for sure.

On the upside, you look a whole lot better than you did in the "before" pic Gar..

#154122 - 10/30/04 12:01 PM Re: OT: Test your Internet Connection speed plus other interesting stuff... for free
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by keybplayer:
Gary, that pic of the new you looks like your sucking your gut in big time for the camera . . . even if everything else looks slim and trim and you still have a considerable ponch you could be putting yourself at risk for health related problems. On the upside, you look a whole lot better than you did in the "before" pic

Mike, huh?! Perhaps your remarks were intended as merely tongue & cheek, but it seems to me that you don't appreciate (or understand) the amount of hard work & dedication required to successfully accomplish the kind of weight loss Gary achieved. Gary has a lot to be proud of and imo, looking terrficly trim, but more importantly . . . healthy!

The great thing about the SouthBeach diet is that author, Arthur Agatston MD, promotes a 'heart healthy' diet, of which losing weight, remains the 'side benefit'.

Scott

#154123 - 10/30/04 12:20 PM Re: OT: Test your Internet Connection speed plus other interesting stuff... for free
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by keybplayer:
measuring tool to gauge your download, upload, and internet browsing speed. 'Maxspeed' shows your maximum thoroughput capability whilst 'YourSpeed' tells you your realtime (actual) speed. The other utilities are interesting too.

Mike, thanks for sharing the very informative internet connection speed test site.

Here are the results I get with my DSL connection here in the San Francisco area:

Download Speed: 1.62 megabit/sec
Time: 17876 milliseconds
Bytes: 70752 bytes
Latency: 170 milliseconds
Accuracy is: Fair

Upload Speed:
349.42 kilobit/sec
Time: 1031 milliseconds
Bytes: 136300 bytes
Clocktick: 16 milliseconds
Accuracy is: Excellent

Curious if the above results are considered decent or not, and how they compare with other people's results.

Scott

#154124 - 10/30/04 01:05 PM Re: OT: Test your Internet Connection speed plus other interesting stuff... for free
Nigel Online   wise
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Your results look good Scott. Here in LA I got 1.21 MBit download with latency of 689 MSecs and 209.41 KBit upload. Only my Accuracy was better but according to their FAQ that doesn't mean anything much anyway.

#154125 - 10/30/04 11:11 PM Re: OT: Test your Internet Connection speed plus other interesting stuff... for free
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Download Speed: 607.59 megabit/sec
Time: 3865 milliseconds
Bytes: 35384 bytes
Latency: 3050 milliseconds

Upload Speed:
67.09 kilobit/sec
Time: 8.38 milliseconds
Bytes: 5568 bytes
Clocktick: 27580 milliseconds

That's what mine tested at.

[This message has been edited by Uncle Dave (edited 10-30-2004).]

#154126 - 10/30/04 11:55 PM Re: OT: Test your Internet Connection speed plus other interesting stuff... for free
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
OK; time for a little sppeding contest, uh?
Here are my results:
Download speed: 1.20 megabit/sec
Latency 524 msec
Accuracy: excellent
Upload speed 274,97 kilobit/sec
Accuracy: excellent

Hmmm.... Scott, looks like you will soon get another speeding ticket!

#154127 - 10/31/04 06:51 AM Re: OT: Test your Internet Connection speed plus other interesting stuff... for free
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Off topic again:

Btw Gary, that pic of the new you looks like your sucking your gut in big time for the camera. Am I right? Even if everything else looks slim and trim and you still have a considerable ponch you could be putting yourself at risk for health related problems. According to the latest medical news anyway. Alcohol, notably your Kickapoo Juice is full of sugar and carbs and the resultant outcome is it goes straight to your waist as fat as you well know. Same with Beer drinkers. I've seen beer drinkers with bigger guts than a woman who's 9 months pregnant carrying twins.

Of course exercise is a great way to trim down excess belly fat. We all could use more exercise in are daily lives that's for sure.

On the upside, you look a whole lot better than you did in the "before" pic Gar..

Mike, I don't have to suck in my gut--I don't have one anymore. My waistline has dropped from a 42 to 36 and even the 36 size pants are a bit loose. On this particlar diet, the first thing you loose is the gut, and anyone that has been on it knows this is the case. As far as working out, yes, it too is an essential ingredient of any fitness program. I hop on the treadmill 5 nights a week, do a brisk mile with at 3 MPH with a fairly steep incline, then do another 20-minute workout on the weight bench. GUT! I Don't think so Mike. At 64 my gut is now fairly solid--not six-pack abs mind you, but damned close to a 3 pack!

And, for those who enjoy good booze, yes the Kickapoo Joy Juice is full of sugar. Consequently, the last time I enjoyed any was about 4 months ago. About the only thing I drink now, and it's in moderation, is an occasional Green Coconut Margeretta.

I believe the only downside of this program is I have to buy a lot of new clothes, which for guys is something we rarely do.

Gary

[This message has been edited by travlin'easy (edited 10-31-2004).]

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#154128 - 10/31/04 05:01 PM Re: OT: Test your Internet Connection speed plus other interesting stuff... for free
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
Good job Gary, you sure look great. Have you established your target weight with your doctor using BMI (Body Mass Index)?

------------------
Graham

#154129 - 10/31/04 05:05 PM Re: OT: Test your Internet Connection speed plus other interesting stuff... for free
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
Download Speed: 2.82 megabit/sec
Time: 1578 milliseconds
Bytes: 154288 bytes
Latency: 379 milliseconds
Accuracy is: Very Good

Upload Speed:
369.97 kilobit/sec
Time: 731 milliseconds
Bytes: 27740 bytes
Clocktick: 16 milliseconds
Accuracy is: Good

Interesting how varied this is. I have roadrunner cable connection.

Uncle Dave, are you sure your download speed was 607 mbit/sec, that would be the winner!!

------------------
Graham

#154130 - 10/31/04 05:55 PM Re: OT: Test your Internet Connection speed plus other interesting stuff... for free
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Here's mine (Bellsouth DSL with 3 computers on network)

DL Speed: 1.17
Time: 1870 ms
Bytes: 109880
Latency: 627 ms
Accuracy: VG

UL Speed: 218.26
Time: 1151 ms
Bytes: 30485
Clocktick: 60 ms
Accuracy: Excellent

Going to check my laptop later to see if there is any difference.
DonM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online