SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#154050 - 07/09/06 08:04 PM T2 Elec. Power In and Out
TP123 Offline

Loc: Fla. / Nashville
Scott Yee? Can you or another T2 owner help
this nice person? I don't have a T2 so...
Maybe you could email her?
Thanks,
Tom

Hi,
As you know, I have a Yamaha Tyros 2 made for USA. I am living down at Karon beach in Phuket. My friend plugged the key board directly in to a standard 220 V wall socket here (scared me to death), and it worked fine. When I plug the keyboard into a step down converter (220v down
to 110v) and then into the wall socket, I get a mean buzz in my amp. Is it possible that the Tyros 2 keyboards made for the US are dual voltage.....no one here has a clue...I hope you can advise us.

Sawasdeekrab,

Clai Carlton
Ph 094750141
claibourne.cloud@gmail.com

#154051 - 07/09/06 08:27 PM Re: T2 Elec. Power In and Out
cwalkeralso Offline

Loc: State of Washington, US
Despite my best intentions, I apparently passed along incorrect information by quoting the T2 manual. Sorry.

Charles

[This message has been edited by cwalkeralso (edited 07-10-2006).]

#154052 - 07/09/06 08:59 PM Re: T2 Elec. Power In and Out
kla4 Offline

Loc: NL
Because nowhere in the specifications/manual Yamaha writes about AC voltages, I think the built in power supply works at voltages between 110 and 240 VAC.

Modern equipment have switching-powersuppl.

The mean sounding buzz probably comes from the step-down converter. Mostly the power that comes from it ís 'dirty' (no perfect sinusoide) If you use the SDC ánd the T2 switching one..... this will give trouble.

#154053 - 07/10/06 05:08 AM Re: T2 Elec. Power In and Out
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Clai,
It's good to know you are still around! Thought you were in Hawaii?
DonM

#154054 - 07/10/06 06:55 AM Re: T2 Elec. Power In and Out
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hello All
Clarification on power supply operation.
A switching power supply has nothing to do with the input voltage, but relates to the way that the power supply works, and which does away with the need for a large transformer, to get the correct voltage and current out.
A lot of power supplies these days, tend to be rated at 100 – 250 Volts, and will also operate at 50 or 60Hz, but CHECK with the manufacture first.
The fact that you have already connected your 110V tyros to 220V and it worked, means it’s probably universal, but please DO CHECK with the manufacture or a QUALIFIED electrician first.
The best case scenario of the wrong voltage being applied is a BIG BANG and a FLASH from the power supply, which would then have to be replaced.
The worst case is in addition to the above, the surge actually fries (Destroys) some of the computer chips in the keyboard.
The simplest method for reducing voltage is to use a transformer which maintains the sine wave; it also helps reduce some of the dirt in the mains supply. (Just remember that it also produces a magnetic field, so keep it away from delicate components.
Hope the above helps.

Bill

#154055 - 07/10/06 07:26 AM Re: T2 Elec. Power In and Out
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I got in late last night, so apologize for the delayed response. My Tyros2 owner's manual (english-american) states this on page 3, under IMPORTANT SAFETY INSTUCTIONS:

"2. Main Power Supply Verification: Yamaha products are manufacturered specifically for the suppply voltage in the area where they are to be sold. If you should move, or if any doubt exists about the supply voltage in your area, please contact your dealer for supply voltage verification and (if applicable) instructions. The require supply voltage is printed on the name plate."

The metal name plate mounted to the underside of my Tyros2 (purchased here in the USA) reads:

Model: Tyros2
120V
45W
60Hz
Made in Japan

Scott

#154056 - 07/10/06 10:10 AM Re: T2 Elec. Power In and Out
kla4 Offline

Loc: NL
Bill and Scott,

Thanks for your additional information. (I was at work as I did my first reply)

Bill I realize I was not complete enough in explaining Swtiching-power supplies. TNX!

I hope a yammie rep is able to answer the voltage question ?
The manual could be telling a 'standard' story ?

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online