SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#154014 - 01/02/05 09:21 PM Don't Cry Daddy!
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
Hi all,

For the past couple of months I have been a little lost musically... probably because I've been so busy at work.

I really want to get back to writing stuff but have no motivation. I'm begining to feel that it's just not in me anymore.

Today for the first time in ages I actually wanted to sit and play the keyboard and really, really enjoyed myself in the process. (believe it or not I was almost at the point of putting the Tyros on ebay! )

Anyway I decided not to push myself into writing my own stuff until I have an idea or at least some inspiration. I decided to record a couple of covers to ease myself back into it.

Now I don't usually record covers because others are far more competent at doing so than I am. However I was rather pleased with how this one came out.

It is a song I used to listen to Elvis sing but I don't have the LP anymore (that's how long ago it was!) so it is from memory I'm afraid. If I have got it wrong please forgive. I'm almost sure there should be another verse but I could not remember it so there are just two here
Don't Cry Daddy
Hope you enjoy it
Best wishes
Tony

#154015 - 01/02/05 10:04 PM Re: Don't Cry Daddy!
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
Tony.....Nice Pipes my friend, and a pretty little piano intro.
A very good (IMO) rendition.
If I had one suggestion, and it's minimal, would be in the chorus (the 2nd line "Daddy please don't cry") personally, I would have opted for the F#min, as opposed to an "A".
Again...very nice job Tony, and I'm most impressed with your voice.
Ain't those old Elvis tunes great to play around with?

------------------
...L

#154016 - 01/02/05 10:43 PM Re: Don't Cry Daddy!
Tony W Offline

Thanks shboom,
Your comments are much appreciated.

I shall give the F#min a try next time I play it and see how we go

You are right about old Elvis tunes. I was having a play with 'Easy for You' earlier but it really sounded dreadful! A shame too because I adore that song.

Thanks again
best wishes
Tony

#154017 - 01/02/05 11:36 PM Re: Don't Cry Daddy!
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
Just an Idea.....to ALL zoners.
Let's see what other can put together as a Elvis collage. I'm willing to bet, there would be some pretty interesting covers.
Hey..it's just for fun and practice, and there's so much to choose from.

------------------
...L

#154018 - 01/02/05 11:56 PM Re: Don't Cry Daddy!
beachbum Offline

Loc: Austin
Hey Tony...
I get the same way sometimes about creating new stuff... When nothing is going right... During the holiday break I tried a new way of making up my tunes.. I would do bit by bit and try to do a short bit of music and do the vocal with it and record... Then the next day I'd listen to what I did and delete or change or add to and so forth... in a week I came up with this... And to think I was out of ideas to begin with... important point I learned during this exercise was to not sit in another room and think up lyrics... play it over and over again even if your going "yada yada yada" It's funny how stuff will come out of the blue when doing something creative...
DJ

One more thing Tony, I always think I have nothing more I can do when facing the keys... Try this just go from style to style and spend 1 hour or so each night... just fool around and something always comes to me... Try it for the hell of it... You might be surprised...

[This message has been edited by beachbum (edited 01-03-2005).]

[This message has been edited by beachbum (edited 01-03-2005).]

#154019 - 01/03/05 12:52 AM Re: Don't Cry Daddy!
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
Hi Tony

Thanks for posting this new song.
As usual I really do like to listen to your vocals.I am becoming your #1 Fan!
Actually I am doubly grateful for your song because I have a treasured book called 'The Compleat Elvis'(yes, that's how it's spelt!) and it has 76 of Elvis 's songs with full notes and lyrics. I had not heard Elvis sing this one before so I was not too sure how it should be played until I heard your interpretation. Now I can have a go with it myself!
BTW,shboom's suggestion to use F#m is almost as Scott Davis wrote except he went for a straight F# although Scott wrote it in the key of D. He also wrote the lyrics.
cheers
Eddie

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info

#154020 - 01/03/05 04:53 AM Re: Don't Cry Daddy!
RichUK Offline

Loc: England
Hi Tony,

Really, really enjoyed your rendition (and fresh arrangement chord-wise) of Don't Cry Daddy. Incorporating part of your favourite chord progression into the first line of each verse was also a nice touch!

Vocals sound great (and sincere) and sit just right in the mix.

Nice work indeed... and it's always good to hear these Elvis numbers.

Thanks,
Rich

[This message has been edited by RichUK (edited 01-03-2005).]

#154021 - 01/03/05 06:18 AM Re: Don't Cry Daddy!
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Very nice, Tony. I enjoyed your version very much.

As for burnout, it happens. After a heavy run of gigs, sometimes I won't touch the keys for a couple of days. But, they always lure me back.

Eddie

#154022 - 01/03/05 06:26 AM Re: Don't Cry Daddy!
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Tony, your pensively wistful rendition of this song is very moving. Really nice personal vocal phrasing as well. Tony, I remember on some of your early tunes, it was rather a struggle for me to understand the words, but this is no longer the case. I'm very IMPRESSED with your diction. The 'emotion' behind your words really hits the mark as well. Nice style arrangement selection, especially the organ pad, guitar & piano fills. If you don't mind, please share with us which specific Tyros STYLE was used. I also like how you changed a couple of the melody notes in the first line of the Chorus, where you sing: "Don't Cry Daddy" giving the song your unique signature. I'm definitely ADDING this one to my iPod Synthzone member favorite song collection playlist. - Scott

#154023 - 01/03/05 06:56 AM Re: Don't Cry Daddy!
Jerry Mullikin Offline

Loc: Grand Junction, CO USA
Tony,

Very smooth and easy on the ears. You also did the ivories justice. Great for a slow dance. I'd give it a 10.

Jerry Mullikin

#154024 - 01/04/05 05:27 PM Re: Don't Cry Daddy!
Tony W Offline

Hi All,
Thanks for the replies. Apologies for the delay in replying but I was stuck at Manchester Airport yesterday for much longer than I anticipated dropping some friends off.

shboom,
I think your idea of an Elvis collage is an excellent idea. All the different styles and interpretations of the musicians here would make it something different and fun. Especially now that the holidays are over .... we need something to buck us up until spring comes along

DJ
Nice to see ya and thanks for listening to my tune I will certainly give your ideas a try. I am hoping that playing covers will give me a little break and some ideas as well. I was/am a little disenchanted because I seemed to fall into the trap of repetitive writing and a lot of my stuff started to sound the same.... well the melodies anyway. The lyrics never tend to be a problem (I've always had a lot to say ) and once I have the opening line the rest seems to write itself. It is the music that gives me problems. I need an Arthur Sullivan to my Gilbert (Oh lord! Now I will be humming 'Three Little Maids' all evening!)

Eddie,
Wow, I have a fan!!! You are definately the number 1 fan... as to my knowledge I have no others It certainly does the ego good though.... Thank you. Am so glad that the song was useful for you as well. When I was younger I seemed to latch on to certain songs and play them over and over, (much to my Mothers annoyance). I thnk that is why I remembered much of this one. I am told that Lisa Marie Presley made a recording of this as a duet with Elvis (much like Natalie did with Nat King Cole). I have never been able to find a copy though. Whe you have recorded your version you must post it for us so that we can ave a listen.

Rich,
Thanks for the listen. I wondered if anyone would notice the chord progression I adore it, I think it sounds so nice and natural. I had better not use it quite so often though if you are all noticing Your comments on my vocals are indeed a compliment coming from a master of the art of singing. Thank you so much.

Eddie (btweengigs)
Thanks for your comments. I don't perform in public myself so I can't blame that but I hear what you are saying. It rather shocked me that I did not want to play at all as music / playing is the only thing I have ever felt passionate about since my schooldays. I never thought I would see a day when I did not want to play. To be honest it frightened me a little as it has always been so important to me in the past (if that makes sense!). At least I am playing again (and more importantly enjoying it too!)

Scott,
Thanks for your comments my friend. It is funny but whenever I record anything now I am obsessed with trying to make the words as clear as possible (precisely because you once advised me that you did not hear every word clearly.) That is what constructive critiques are all about imho. Most of what I know about recording/ phrasing/ and such is only because the folks on here have given advice and (more importantly) solutions. You know I am not one to blow my own trumpet but even I have to admit that when I listen to some of the early stuff I posted in comparison with the later stuff, there is a vast improvement. That is largely down to the advice and support given here at Synthzone. It always amazes me that people like you, busy professional musicians, are quite as patient and nurturing of rank amateurs like myself. Thankyou Scott and all those like you who continue to help and encourage. (Sorry if I embarrased you there but I wanted to say a public Thank you. You are very much appreciated)

Jerry,
Again thanks for the listen. I am glad you enjoyed it. I might start getting a bit bigheaded though if you start handing out 10's just like that (well unless it was 10 out of a hundred of course )

Thanks again everybody
Best wishes
Tony

#154025 - 01/04/05 05:27 PM Re: Don't Cry Daddy!
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
Hi Tony.

Great and sensitive performance.
I am waiting for more and more

Cheers
Chico

#154026 - 01/05/05 03:50 PM Re: Don't Cry Daddy!
Tony W Offline

Sorry Chico,
I nearly missed you there!
Thanks very much for the listen and for your kind comments. They are very much appreciated.
Best wishes
Tony

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online