SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#153997 - 11/22/04 04:56 AM Decisions, Decisions...
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
BACKGROUND:

My Main keyboard is an Ensoniq SD1. I use this keyboard as my main "piano" but also for some legacy sequenced numbers. It is midi'd to an MU80 and PSR2000.

My other keyboard is a PSR2000. I'm using this for solo / string pad work and midi file playback. In my normal "duo" situation I don't use styles or harmony.

I use a Yamaha MU80 module for extra "fullness" of the Ensoniq, and it is also used by sequences played on the SD1.

I use a Boss DS220 for some solo and emergency keyboard noises, driven by PSR2000. I like the ease with which I can get a basic voice just using the buttons.

The upper part of the PSR is midi'd from the SD1 and used for Strings.

PROBLEM:

The Ensoniq is telling me it wants to retire to a keyboard stand in the country.

I like the 2000 but the idea of total elimination of the floppy disc shuffle means I find the PSR3000 (or even the 1500) a very tempting option

THOUGHT PROCESS

I don't think I can afford to replace both keyboards.

Those of you who have used Ensoniqs will be aware that it is very easy to select alternative layers "on the fly" by double-clicking on the soft buttons that surround the display panel. I haven't seen anything at the "budget" end of the market that provides anything like the playability and flexibity that I have at present. The nearest I've spotted is the Yamaha S30 but they've stopped making that. The S90 is just too big. The "budget" 61 and 76 note "master" keyboards don't give me enough layers (I need at least 3)(I've currently got up to 12!!!)(not that I use that many).

So, if I can't run the job the way I am used to I may just have to change the way I do the job altogether.

I have demonstrated to myself that the "Performance" mode of the MU80 (up 4 voices simulateously, key and velocity zones definable for each voice, some independant FX channels; similar to the Layer option ob the S30/80/90) may give me an acceptable level of flexiblity in that I can define over 100 "user" performances which will easily cover all the variations in splits / layers that I currently do "on the fly".

I can drive the MU80 from the PSR2000 by setting the 2k to output "Upper" and "Lower" on different midi channels and setting the MU80 performance system to "Omni". In this state the MU responds only to keyboard events and is not affected by style or sequence use on the PSR. This would seriously conflict with my use of the Boss module.

But if I'm using the MU80 for "bread and butter" noises, I can use the 2k for solo work only. Setup using registrations and then use the "Right 1" and "Right 2" buttons to bring in the voices.

So now I don't need the Boss module anymore.

CONCLUSION

So maybe I've talked myself into a situation where I only use one keyboard. And then I can definately justify getting a 3k, and having the 2k available as backup.

Downside - I can envisage situations where this could be a problem; having 2 keyboards allows totally contrasting noises to be available instantly. However I do this extremely rarely and could probably mimic the effect by careful use of velocity ranges on the MU80.

Your comments on this argument, and any alternative viewpoints, are invited!

Thanks

John

#153998 - 11/22/04 06:25 AM Re: Decisions, Decisions...
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
It's been over 15 years since I carried two keyboards to work, and so far there has never been a situation that made me wish I had the second board. The advantages of the 2 manuals/sounds etc is FAR outweighed by the convienience/price/space saving.

I can't speak for you, but I really doubt that you NEED to have two kbs at your hands. Lighten the load - you'll feel better and want to play more !

#153999 - 11/22/04 06:53 AM Re: Decisions, Decisions...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
It has been three years now since I stopped hauling two keyboards around. Thanks to Uncle Dave and Donny Pesce and their helpful advice, my load is minimal and for this I am eternally grateful.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#154000 - 11/22/04 07:16 AM Re: Decisions, Decisions...
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
As it is in my set-up, both keyboards are completely different. I love my VR760, but most times I find if I just take the 2k, things work out just fine. The audience doesn't know what I'M missing. I'm hoping the G70 solves the 2 keyboard problem for me. As a duo/solo performer most of the time I still want/need the arranger section for requests and special songs. I've been working with my bass pedals and drum machine, but haven't come to any conclusions on if I want to go back to that.

#154001 - 11/22/04 08:32 AM Re: Decisions, Decisions...
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
Interesting topic John.
I guess I'm a die hard of sorts. The material we do in the band warrents me having to bring along 2 kbs.
One is my dedicated piano, along with some string and piano combinations, plus I use my synth for all organs, and other effects and the nature of the material requires me to use both, often simutaneously.
'Course...that's just me, and it does make for less stressful patch changes.
again...Good topic John

------------------
...L

#154002 - 11/22/04 09:15 AM Re: Decisions, Decisions...
MacAllcock Offline

Thanks folks. I suppose I am a die hard as well; I've been carting two keyboards around ever since since I've possessed two keyboards.

And the deciding factor is clearly going to be weight versus function. And at present, as the bones creak slightly more on a daily basis, unless I find a total killer reason not to, then I'm drifting towards the 3k + (carefully setup) MU80 solution. It may even force me to be organised for once!

And I suppose if after a while I find I really hanker for two sets of keys I could always shift the 2k and the 3k about, but two "nearly the same" seems a rather less appealing than two "definately different" even though I know the sounds could be drastically different. I'd still have to organise the MU80 somewhat because I still wouldn't have sufficient "remote" control out of a PSR.

I'm going to absolutely understand that I really can setup the MU80 as envisaged (Anyone got a good editor, by the way?) and I'll get keep you posted.

Thanks again.

#154003 - 11/23/04 04:33 AM Re: Decisions, Decisions...
MacAllcock Offline

Late breaking news - I may be able to get a 9000pro for slightly less outlay than a PSR3000.....

Would this be considered a good idea?

#154004 - 11/23/04 06:01 AM Re: Decisions, Decisions...
Dnj Offline

"And the deciding factor is clearly going to be weight versus function. And at present, as the bones creak slightly more on a daily basis, unless I find a total killer reason not to, "

You anwered your own question

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online