SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#153687 - 01/23/06 07:13 AM Re: Just Back From NAMM
Esh Offline

Loc: Hilton Head, SC, USA
Scott: I couldn't disagree more about settling for 61 keys as an option for a pianist. There's too many times when I have to access both high and low ends of the piano at the same time and 61 keys just won't do it. But as I said in George Kaye's NAMM report, I am through waiting for Yamaha to produce a Tyros Pro or a portable version of their CLP series.

The real solution is for Yamaha to update the QY-series with the Tyros 2 sound engine/samples and create a top-notch tabletop arranger unit. This is especially true now that Yamaha is distributing the CME controllers, which would allow anyone to choose the size and weight of keyboard they need. I'd like to see a Yamaha "QY-T2" also be compatible with the PLG series of expansion cards for additional sounds and polyphony. But that's just wishing.

#153688 - 01/23/06 07:54 AM Re: Just Back From NAMM
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Esh:
Scott: I couldn't disagree more about settling for 61 keys as an option for a pianist.

Hello Esh. I concur, that as a pianist, 61 keys definitely doesn't cut it! Then again, Tyros2 is marketed as a portable auto-accompaniment arranger workstation, not a piano. Yes, of course I would prefer having 76 keys (or 'better yet': 88) to accomodate traditional piano style playing, but for arranger playing, 61 keys adequate at least for me, affording a smaller package size. For those gigs which require solo piano playing, I'd prefer bringing a lightweight controler along, and having the ENTIRE 88 note piano keyboard range at my disposal, of which brings me to the following controller I checked out at NAMM:

M-Audio ProKeys 88SX

I felt the semi weighted keys nicely responsive, keyboard very lightweight & it comes with a nice collection of built in sounds as well, making it suitable (by itself) for 'solo piano' only gigs too. Currently, I'm using a Roland A-33 76 note controller for gigs which require traditional piano playing, so may eventually consider upgrading to the M-Audio 88sx.

Esh: I realize that we all have unique keyboard needs and requirements, as well as how much we're willing to compromise to get (as much as) everything we want, and I respect your decision of leaving Yamaha. I'm looking forward to your reports (in addition to Frank Rosenthal's) about softsynth style keyboard arranger alternatives like Open Labs Miko. I'm sure I too will be eventually going the soft synth arranger route as well, once rock solid software stability & reliability are assured. - Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 01-23-2006).]

#153689 - 01/24/06 01:01 AM Re: Just Back From NAMM
doc-z Offline

Loc: Norway
I'm curious about the new DGX-505, what new features does it have apart from the keyboard? Can it use more than one userstyle for instance?

Doc-Z

#153690 - 01/24/06 10:42 AM Re: Just Back From NAMM
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Hi Guys,

after talking to Scott several times I made the choice to go from the 76key 9000Pro to the 61key T2.

I must say that it did take a little time to adjust, but with the octave up and down button as well as agjusting my playing I'm quite happy

For most of us 61 keys is really sufficient, but I do agree with Esh: for piano style playing you need 76keys.
I guess there are not enough people out there anymore who use piano style playing on an arranger.

Of course we have to remember that the US market is only about 5% of worldwide sales.
The rest goes mostly to Europe.
As we all know by now their needs are quite different than ours.

Eric

#153691 - 01/24/06 04:38 PM Re: Just Back From NAMM
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I only looked at the new YPG625 for a few minutes at NAMM. The display looked the same to me as the DGX505. The button layout is different though. I do think it has the same 1 user style load functin but I'm not sure. The YPG625 has the GHS weighted piano keys and the YPG525 has the semi-weighted keys of the DGX505.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online