SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#153436 - 10/21/07 07:16 AM Re: After working with teenagers....
zuki Offline

Awesome UD - hope you find time. I always like your work

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#153437 - 10/21/07 02:36 PM Re: After working with teenagers....
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Among the many things I've learned from Dave, Donny and Fran over the years is to utilize every tool at your disposal to entertain your audiences. I strictly adhere to this rule, and it has paid off with more jobs than I can handle. I guess I've said this a zillion times, but it bears repeating--this is the entertainment business and that's why we get paid to do what we do.

One of the neat things I recently discovered about a friends S-900 was the ability to record vocal backing tracks. What an incredible feature. You can record the vocal harmony track for a song such as "In The Still Of The Night" by the Five Satins, record the midi file, then provide the lead vocals and lead instrumentals live--WOW! And, it can all be saved on the USB drive in a registration. How things have progressed.

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#153438 - 10/21/07 03:31 PM Re: After working with teenagers....
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
My simple method is to use the arranger with the piano part muted and I sing harmonies with the lead voice turned way down or off ...depending on the effect I want.

Wow!! What a simple, but brilliant idea!! It's definitely one of those "damn,why didn't I think of that earlier!!!"....I have been toying with the idea of recording my midis to mp3's, but the only thing that stopped me was not getting the harmoniser working as there would be no midi file data to drive it..turn down the lead and then record...wonderful..
thanks dave ....mucho!!
cheers
dennis

PS: and with the sd1+ having a seperate vocal out (which includes harmoniser but no effects) I can then use some of my really excellent plug-in effects in Sonar for harmony vocal...

[This message has been edited by miden (edited 10-21-2007).]

#153439 - 10/21/07 03:32 PM Re: After working with teenagers....
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
One of the neat things I recently discovered about a friends S-900 was the ability to record vocal backing tracks. What an incredible feature. You can record the vocal harmony track for a song such as "In The Still Of The Night" by the Five Satins, record the midi file, then provide the lead vocals and lead instrumentals live--WOW! And, it can all be saved on the USB drive in a registration. How things have progressed.

Gary

Because I rarely, if ever, do vocals, this very cool feature of the S900 was missed altogether by me.

Works very slick and all easily done right on the keyboard.

Thanks for pointing it out, Gary.

Ian

#153440 - 10/21/07 05:03 PM Re: After working with teenagers....
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
Wow!!thanks dave ...

Glad to be of help ! In my world, it's always been about the vocals. Not many people in my audience can play an instrument, but they ALL think they can sing. Words bring the message to the listener!

#153441 - 10/21/07 05:27 PM Re: After working with teenagers....
ianmcnll Offline

You did say, "NO opinions...no conjecture"

Ian

Sorry about the editing...I accidentally erased.

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 10-21-2007).]

#153442 - 10/21/07 08:17 PM Re: After working with teenagers....
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
Among the many things I've learned from Dave, Donny and Fran over the years is to utilize every tool at your disposal to entertain your audiences. I strictly adhere to this rule, and it has paid off with more jobs than I can handle. I guess I've said this a zillion times, but it bears repeating--this is the entertainment business and that's why we get paid to do what we do.

Gary

Gary you were my best student......

I'm glad I was a part of your success of the KING OF BALTIMORE!!!

#153443 - 10/21/07 09:45 PM Re: After working with teenagers....
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
You did say, "NO opinions...no conjecture"

Ooops ! Damn...this IS hard. You're right...let me rephrase:

"I don't suppose that many in my audience are trained instrumentalists, but judging from the ammount of requests for Karaoke, there seems to be a greated number of those who would sing, if asked."

Whew...... that sounds like a crock !

Anyway ... it's teh details of the instruments that I was talking about when I asked for 100% fact. I wanted to avoid things like:
"better" drums
"poor" build quality
"sweeter" sounds etc ......

Sigh...

#153444 - 10/21/07 10:32 PM Re: After working with teenagers....
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
Ooops ! Damn...this IS hard. You're right...let me rephrase:

"I don't suppose that many in my audience are trained instrumentalists, but judging from the ammount of requests for Karaoke, there seems to be a greated number of those who would sing, if asked."

Whew...... that sounds like a crock !

Anyway ... it's teh details of the instruments that I was talking about when I asked for 100% fact. I wanted to avoid things like:
"better" drums
"poor" build quality
"sweeter" sounds etc ......

Sigh...

Yes, it is very hard to remain opinion free, isn't it?

You're a little closer, but still suppositional...hard habit to break, ain't it?

Sigh...nice try.

I agree there should be no "mine is better than yours".

Ian

#153445 - 10/22/07 07:43 AM Re: After working with teenagers....
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
There are several songs on the PSR Tutorial forum that have been recorded with the Yamaha harmonizer. They are truly amazing.
Here's a link to one of them. http://www.box.net/shared/sk7y804q2v
DonM

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online