SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#153416 - 10/20/07 10:51 AM After working with teenagers....
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
.....This last year and a half has been so enlightening for me. I relate much of my experience with these kids to our discussions here with adults.
We tend to use exagerations, opinions and state percentages as if they were facts. We all tend to tout our strengths to others in one sided views that leave little room for error. Well, let me tell you .... I will be the first to admit that I have been misled and have made poor choices more than I care to remember.

With that said ... I'd like to try and start a discussion that relies on purely fact. NO opnions, no conjecture, no attitudes....pure, simple fact:
Such as:

The Yamaha psrS900 has 61 keys.
The Korg PA800 has a dual sequencer that can play MP3 files.
That sort of thing ...

It's just an excercise, and mostly for fun, but it may serve a purpose too. Maybe we all tend ( myself included )to speak (type) a little too quickly when our passion for our own gear is stirred up. I wonder how easy it would be if we actually tried to post an ENTIRE thread with only 100% factual, UNbiased answers. Tough task, huh?

Anyway ... just a lazy Saturday afternoon thought...but if you'd like to chime in, here's a suggested topic:

"What are some of the advantages and disadvantages between choosing to use styles, sequences or MP3 files?"

(it's a tough one to keep UNopionated, right? Try anyway!)

#153417 - 10/20/07 10:58 AM Re: After working with teenagers....
Uncle Dave Offline

OK, I'll give it a shot...

Styles are often very generic and can be used for many different, yet similar songs. This can give one the ability to "fake" an arrangement with a minimal amount of work. A simple chord and lyric sheet can be the start of a very complex and intricate arrangement created on the fly.

Sequences allow the performer to use both hands to creates extra excitement to a recognizable arrangement. Adding a bit of one's own creative self to an already popular song arrangement can make an entirely new product out of a tried and ture rendition.

MP3 files, like sequences, allow for 2 hands to be free to accent the arrangemnt of a song. MP3 recordings also add the flexibility to pre-record additional parts that may be unavailable on stage....eg: live, harmonies from real singers, guitar solos, etc.

*** This is the kind of info that I feel many people would love from the collective experience of our members. Go for it !

#153418 - 10/20/07 11:06 AM Re: After working with teenagers....
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Without getting into the cheating aspect, styles give you more latitude as far as strict timing is conscerned, and can be varied more by use of fills and variations. On the otherhand, the PA800 blurs this destinction with its easy use of markers. Sequences are unbeatable for certain song specific dance numbers, for example.

#153419 - 10/20/07 11:50 AM Re: After working with teenagers....
Uncle Dave Offline

Quote:
Without getting into the cheating aspect, styles give you more latitude

Who's to say what cheating is, or if in fact, you DO get "more" lattitude?
Just trying to see if we can say 100% fact with no opinion - it's HARD !
Maybe I read it wrong - Lawyers, English teachers?

#153420 - 10/20/07 12:02 PM Re: After working with teenagers....
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:

This is the kind of info that I feel many people would love from the collective experience of our members. Go for it !

With all due respect, Dave but isn't this your own opinion?

Ian

#153421 - 10/20/07 12:04 PM Re: After working with teenagers....
Uncle Dave Offline

Yes...the topic choice is something I base on opinion, but I'd love to see the content be pure fact ! This is all about information, not personalities.
(you got me on a technicality !)

#153422 - 10/20/07 12:07 PM Re: After working with teenagers....
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Clarification

I don't consider fully playing with either, cheating. I just meant I didn't want to go to that well worn topic.

#153423 - 10/20/07 12:08 PM Re: After working with teenagers....
Uncle Dave Offline

I'm with YOU !

#153424 - 10/20/07 12:40 PM Re: After working with teenagers....
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Uncle Dave,
I can remember the band days when someone was shouting or signaling chord changes to me or I was giving changes to the guitar or bass players. Then there were the acrobatics involved in getting the band to start and finish at exactly the same time and keep the tempo steady etc. I did my vocals and played my parts. And now with the arranger, I do my vocals and play my parts (and the sax or whatever lead/solo parts choose to, and I can sing a couple of parts as well). I’m still doing what I’ve always done but now I have the accompaniment that I choose, everything stops and starts when I choose, I get to choose the tunes and the keys, the rhythm doesn’t fluctuate and no hot shot guitar player has barfed in the van for at least 2 decades. With the arranger, I’m able to pay my bills and have a little over. My purist friends, who are by far better musicians than I will ever be, are also driving trucks, working on roofs etc. to make ends meet. With the arranger and a good sound system, I can compete - sound-wise - with DJ’s. I can remember when the big discussions were about how DJ’s were putting live and almost live performers out of business. The decent single acts, especially the completely self contained acts, continue to survive. I work harder than I ever did and I enjoy it more than I ever did. For anyone who thinks that using arranger tools is cheating and revolting, I suggest that you keep doing whatever makes you happy … I just bought a 2008 Toyota Sienna and I love making double payments.
Ciao,
Jerry

#153425 - 10/20/07 01:22 PM Re: After working with teenagers....
Uncle Dave Offline

So true.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online