SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#152944 - 08/28/06 01:47 PM 'Does anyone have the need for a drink whilst they perform?'
Dnj Offline

posted 08-28-2006 12:25 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by T42:
With a 32 bar intro I could start it playing, nip to the bar and have a quick pint and return just in time to start playing... OMG get me an E80 now, I've always wanted an excuse to nip to the bar before my break whilst playing lol

As a performer Drinking on a gig is a big NO No around here and frowned upon by banquet, bar and club owners, etc ..
I think its a good rule for sure....Drinking & playing is as bad as Drinking & driving or smoking on stage.....how do you people feel about it?

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-28-2006).]

IP: Logged

frankieve
Member posted 08-28-2006 12:29 PM
Sometimes , drinking seems like the only way to get through the night lol.

Dnj
Member posted 08-28-2006 12:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by frankieve:
Sometimes , drinking seems like the only way to get through the night lol.

To me and the audience it hinders a performers ability to entertaine.
I get high on my music

Fran Carango
Member posted 08-28-2006 12:44 PM
And never look at the pretty women on the dance floor........................yeah RIGHT!!!!!!!!!

Dnj
Member posted 08-28-2006 12:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
And never look at the pretty women on the dance floor........................yeah RIGHT!!!!!!!!!

Especially when they are between 80-90 yrs old

Fran Carango
Member posted 08-28-2006 12:46 PM
[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 08-28-2006).]

T42
Member posted 08-28-2006 01:02 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dnj:
As a performer Drinking on a gig is a big NO No around here and frowned upon by banquet, bar and club owners, etc ..
I think its a good rule for sure....Drinking & playing is as bad as Drinking & driving or smoking on stage.....how do you people feel about it?
I guess some of the Americans don't appreciate the British sense of humour or possibly don't understand it? Don't you realise when we are having a laugh with you?
If you read my post you'll see the at the end of it.

I was actually taking the p in a polite manner out of an intro being 32 bars long and using the going to a bar for a drink as a PUN.

There is no way when I go out playing that I mix drink with my work, plus drinking and driving is illegal anyway. I only drink cola when out on a booking and that's when I get a break. I save getting sozzled when I have a night off. Hope that's rectified my post above if anyone got the wrong impression.

GlennT
Member posted 08-28-2006 01:15 PM
Did this go OT somehow? I'm looking for E80 stuff.
Glenn

T42
Member posted 08-28-2006 01:30 PM
Hi GlennT
It's not gone off topic because there's little news on the E80 anywhere at the moment. I think DNJ misinterpreted my posting above that's all and then it went off course onto if we should have a drink whilst playing or not.
Maybe a new thread titled 'Does anyone have the need for a drink whilst they perform?' could be started by DNJ?

Dnj
Member posted 08-28-2006 01:36 PM
T42, I understand your point......its just a sore spot....so many of these so called DJ's & Bands have ruined the business for us by drinking, smoking pot , etc etc & acting wildly on gigs leaving a bad taste in owners mouths, & even in some instances resulting in injury, structural damage, & even rioting at an affair.
What the heck is going on out there ?
man have things changed for the worse.

#152945 - 08/28/06 01:54 PM Re: 'Does anyone have the need for a drink whilst they perform?'
T42 Offline

Loc: UK
Thanks for taking me up on the new thread DNJ, that has to be the longest copy and paste of Quotes though I've seen up to yet on Synthzone lol

To answer your threads title, I don't have the need to drink whilst I perform, I get all of my energy from playing live and get a buzz from seeing my audience enjoy themselves. You don't need any from of stimulation other than this, plus if I had a drink I'd be running to the loo every half hour for a p. In one end and out of the other with me lol

#152946 - 08/28/06 02:05 PM Re: 'Does anyone have the need for a drink whilst they perform?'
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Read the Synthzone January 2004 POSTING THREAD started on this SAME topic, of which includes my opinion (12th posting reply down) on the subject: HERE !

Scott

#152947 - 08/28/06 02:11 PM Re: 'Does anyone have the need for a drink whilst they perform?'
T42 Offline

Totally agree Scott, so looks like this thread is old news already unless it goes off on another tangent like the E80 post did.

#152948 - 08/28/06 02:17 PM Re: 'Does anyone have the need for a drink whilst they perform?'
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I Did...it almost KILLED ME!

Russ

#152949 - 08/28/06 02:18 PM Re: 'Does anyone have the need for a drink whilst they perform?'
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I don't drink on the job. I was lucky to learn early on (from older musicians who had to learn the hard way), that drinking on the job in this business will ruin your career quickly. Because alcohol is usually free & abundant all night long, I decided to just say no, and glad I did. I've learned to get & feel high naturally. Over the course of an evening, patron's are frequently buying me drinks, so I always make pre-arrangements with the bar to have the bartender mix mine without the alcohol. Keeps everyone happy. - Scott

Hey Scott I think that means "You are faking it"...

#152950 - 08/28/06 02:27 PM Re: 'Does anyone have the need for a drink whilst they perform?'
Dnj Offline

Sorry....I should of known Scott would have this thread topic on file in his data base but as you know there are many more SZ members here since 2004's thread who could maybe add to it with their opinions which I'm sure have changed with new laws being passed every day out there regarding drinking thru the last few years.... I for one see a big drop off in bar patrons due to the new strict STATE Non Smoking Anywhere on premises.....with a Hugh decline in business which trickles down to patrons who are in your audience to enjoy your music. It all intertwines somehow, so "Old News" can be "New News" for many

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-28-2006).]

#152951 - 08/28/06 02:30 PM Re: 'Does anyone have the need for a drink whilst they perform?'
T42 Offline

What's with all the editing of your posts DNJ and some of Frans show it's been edited then only shows a .
Could we possibly get a spell checker integrated into Synthzone hehe

#152952 - 08/28/06 02:33 PM Re: 'Does anyone have the need for a drink whilst they perform?'
Fran Carango Offline

Donny I have seen no drop off because of the no smoking band...They have learned to accept it...as we had to endure the smoke reak for so many years...It is the best thing to happen in my playing world..

#152953 - 08/28/06 02:36 PM Re: 'Does anyone have the need for a drink whilst they perform?'
Fran Carango Offline

PA better hurry up with the No Smoking ordinance soon......or I will only play the nursing homes in this state...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online