SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#152651 - 09/10/02 12:05 PM No Digital Output on the Tyros?.....
MusiKMan Offline

Loc: California, USA
Can you believe that? A $3000 workstation and not a single digital output? How can you make the best of all that beautifull sound if you have to send it out via analog noisy cables to your digital studio?
This is what gets me with this manufactures. I bet you it will be on the next one they put out.. by then we would of already forked out 3 grand.
I dont know, I like the sounds and all, but I just can understand the mentality of this engineers..

best,

Musikman4Christ........

#152652 - 09/10/02 12:11 PM Re: No Digital Output on the Tyros?.....
Dnj Offline

Don't you know the game? They string you along by leaving a few things out everytime they intoduce a new unit. Leaves you wanting for more? If they put "IT ALL" in there they couldn't bait you on the next one! Its been going on for years. Remember.. the "Newest" is NOT always the best!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 09-10-2002).]

#152653 - 09/10/02 12:17 PM Re: No Digital Output on the Tyros?.....
MusiKMan Offline

Yeah youre right.. It gets me angry because I can definitely hear the power and quality of the sounds. ITs really a shame if you have to go analog out.. IT really maddens me big time. I cant understand why we have to fork out $3000 grand and have all this beautiful sound get deminished in quality as you go analog. I know people know that digital is the way to go, I just dont understand it, why not add a cheap Digital output to the keyboad, how much would it have costed? OR even yet, why not make it an option at least?
Can someone here with connections with Yamaha, please call them and tell them to explain it to us?
Please? Why their flagship keyboard in the Year 2002-2003 has no digital output? Dont they know that people are recording into digital studios? or is it just me? Dont know..I think I may just stay with my trusty Korg I30 and Trinity. At least in my trinity I have a digital output...I will wait till the prices go down, or at least till they make it an option..

best,

Musikman4Christ........

#152654 - 09/10/02 12:50 PM Re: No Digital Output on the Tyros?.....
DNA Offline

Loc: Fremont, CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by MusiKMan:
I just can understand the mentality of this engineers..

Please don't blame this on engineers. Engineers by nature want to include every feature they can dream of including a bunch that no one asked for or want.

Now if you said "marketing", I'd be 100% with you.

-David (an engineer, of course)

#152655 - 09/10/02 12:52 PM Re: No Digital Output on the Tyros?.....
technicsplayer Offline

it did confuse me why they only mention the usb connection for data transfer to the internal hard disk. Since the 7000 has digital audio in and out through the usb as well as two independant midi in/out drivers through usb, I was expecting the tyros to be similar.

#152656 - 09/10/02 12:54 PM Re: No Digital Output on the Tyros?.....
MusiKMan Offline

Yeah, youre right... I admit it. Sorry to any engineers out there. I apologize...
I agree 100% its marketing...They are the ones who screw us big time! I just hope we can get something from yamaha about this. I think no one has even dared to ask it..Why?

Musikman4Christ........

#152657 - 09/11/02 02:16 PM Re: No Digital Output on the Tyros?.....
MusiKMan Offline

Well guys, I called Yamaha Tech support yesterday, and I can confirm that the Tyros will not have a digital output.
At first the Tech guy said it did. Then, I asked him if he was completely sure, he said, wait let me check again. Then after like 3 minutes waiting, He said, you know, I could have sworn it did have Digital output.
Man, I sure was dissapointed at these news.
Here we are in the 21st century where practically everyone is going digital, and yet, yamahas top of the line Arranger, will not have any sort of digital output.
Forget it..I will just wait for the next one.
One thing the Tech guys did say, is that if enough people call them, and say that they want a digital output, its possible Yamaha can do something...
I dont know about this, but it may be possible... Either way guys, if youre not into recording, or just plan to use the Tyros on stage or on gigs, well it will be an awsome piece of gear.
In my case, I only do home recordings and compositions, so to me, I want digital output. I can not tolerate sound degradation from a $3000 dollar equipment...
Just my opinion...

Musikman4Christ........

#152658 - 09/11/02 04:11 PM Re: No Digital Output on the Tyros?.....
MarcK Offline

Naturally, a digital out would be nice (and probably increase the price, if only a bit). But chances are that Yamaha would use a low-end A/D converter, and the loss of quality from that converter would probably negate the benefit of having a digital out in the first place. Just as a side point, the line outs in my 2000 are dead quiet. Go out and get some high-quality cables (very important), and a decent A/D converter (such as M-Audio Duo, etc., many out there already), and you should have no problem getting great recordings from the Tyros. The difference in noise level would almost certainly be negligible. The lack of digital out really shouldn't be a deal-breaker. Just my two cents.

[This message has been edited by MarcK (edited 09-11-2002).]

#152659 - 09/11/02 04:28 PM Re: No Digital Output on the Tyros?.....
MusiKMan Offline

Thanks for your opinion, you are partly right though. The difference between digital and analog, is night and day.. It really is, depending on the market you serve..
I have an Korg I30 which has analog out only, best cables, etc.. Going into my ROland VS1680 , I did a comparison, between this and going digital out of the Trinity, of course the Trinitys sound is of much higher quality then that of the Korg i30, but The difference is very clear.
You see, its not so much the fact Digital or analog, its not that really, im perfectly happy going out analog with my i30, its that Yamaha, wants us to fork out 3k and they dont even bother to put a simple Digi out on their flagship keyboard....
It may not matter to many, since they may not be into recording and all, and the regular consumer may never know the difference, but to use musician, believe me, specially recording musician, we dont settle for nothing but the best.
Thats why I may wait for the next one...
Dont know, I will have to see...

best,

Musikman4Christ........

#152660 - 09/11/02 06:24 PM Re: No Digital Output on the Tyros?.....
MarcK Offline

It's possible that the analog outs on the i30 happen to be on the noisy side. Certainly a keyboard can be built to have virtually silent line outs. High quality components should not produce noticeable noise. Inherently, there's no difference in quality between an analog out and a digital out. The only practical difference is that the analog signal is SUSCEPTIBLE to interference/noise. Of course in practice the analog outs in a keyboard aren't necessarily going to be of the highest quality (though Yamaha's seem to be quite good in this respect), but then again the A/D converters may not be either....okay I suppose I shouldn't repeat myself....

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online