SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#15222 - 09/29/02 04:04 PM Gem Gensys impression
vic83 Offline

Loc: Florida
Well I had the pleaser of playing that thing today and it was a very interesting keyboard. I don't really have the time to go thru all what I did but here is a main impression.

As always I was impressed with the features that keyboard got. It’s decently the TOP dog in features. With its 32track sequencer, 24x10x40 LG CD-RW that it self got in me in here. Another thing that I've noticed is that the keyboard is not that big inside like I Imaged it would be. The keyboard even looked smaller in size than the WK2000 that was next to it. Weight wasn't that bad either; I could really handle that keyboard in every gig. Navigation was awesome. It was very easy to handle (WK8 was pretty complicated for me here) and I got throw styles and sounds and very fast. Styles were not that bad. I liked the POP styles ones but was very disappointed of the poor reggae styles that were there (which I was looking forward to). I think both of them had a name of the 60's reggae and the other one was pop reggae. I didn’t really like those styles and I think Gem should put more work in that. I liked the Latin styles and the techno ones were fine. As far as sounds, I didn’t really hear any improvement over the WK8 unless I'M messing something. But they were ok for a background playing. THE worse part now which probably will never get me to buy the GEM genesis is that the dealer told the suggest price of the genesis was...ready...

$7500 US

Is that True or it’s just my crazy old dealer is trying to make a profit in here?

That’s all just my opinion but over all, the keyboard is a 58% improvement over the wk8.

------------------
Vic:)

#15223 - 09/30/02 09:18 AM Re: Gem Gensys impression
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
The following are my estimation:

The suggested retail price is about $3500

I have questions for you:

1) where there any ballad styles? How did they sound?

2) Have you tried the "REAL" sounds?

Because my understanding, there are new set of sounds called real sounds, about 15 of them or so. So these are the new ones.

Take Care.

#15224 - 09/30/02 11:37 AM Re: Gem Gensys impression
Chris A Offline

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ,
FYI, while all of the WK8 soundset was retained for backwards compatibility, the Genesys has 320 completely new sounds and 31 new drumkits, (which are the only drumkits used in the styles).

#15225 - 09/30/02 12:26 PM Re: Gem Gensys impression
sk880user Offline

Chris,

very interesting. I am looking forward to try this keyboard.

#15226 - 09/30/02 08:40 PM Re: Gem Gensys impression
vic83 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by sk880user:

1) where there any ballad styles? How did they sound?

2) Have you tried the "REAL" sounds?

Because my understanding, there are new set of sounds called real sounds, about 15 of them or so. So these are the new ones.

Take Care.

1- Yes there was some balled styles in the POP bank I believe. they were very good.

2-no I haven't I guess. George Kay pointed out that they were in an end of some bank. I'll check the keyboard tomorrow again to confirm that.

------------------
Vic

[This message has been edited by vic83 (edited 09-30-2002).]

#15227 - 09/30/02 08:43 PM Re: Gem Gensys impression
vic83 Offline

Sk-880,
If you have any thing that you want me to check on that keyboard let me know and I will try...that goes for any body here too .

------------------

#15228 - 10/01/02 07:13 AM Re: Gem Gensys impression
sk880user Offline

Vic83,

I appreciate this very much.

1) how many ballad styles?

2) How do you compare them to the best of yamaha ballads?

3) What do you think of the new voices?

4) How is the new piano sound?

5) Would you buy this keyboard just for the new sounds and new styles?

Thanks

#15229 - 10/05/02 05:34 PM Re: Gem Gensys impression
kevind Offline

Loc: Manchester UK
A couple of months back I decided I could do with a new keyboard after gigging a wx2 for nine years, I had the megafloppy on this, being a generalmusic fan I looked at the Genesys, I could afford any instrument but I hope the developers read this, the machine has a great spec BUT is too heavy and an akward shape to lug around to live gigs, just what sort of flight case would it need?, my money went on the older but more portable ( and black !!) WK8 megastation, which if lasts as long as my wx2 will take me into retirement.
Kevin

#15230 - 10/05/02 09:24 PM Re: Gem Gensys impression
dogman Offline

Loc: arlington, texas, usa
Hey Chris A, any predictions when they will come out with the 88 note fully weighted key version of the Genesys ?

#15231 - 10/06/02 08:37 PM Re: Gem Gensys impression
vic83 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by sk880user:
Vic83,

I appreciate this very much.

1) how many ballad styles?

2) How do you compare them to the best of yamaha ballads?

3) What do you think of the new voices?

4) How is the new piano sound?

5) Would you buy this keyboard just for the new sounds and new styles?

Thanks

1- there is some nice balled styles in teh POp bank
2-never really tryed a yamaha PSR-9000 or the tyros yet but i tryed the PSR-740 and I would say the GEM is better ofcourse (just my opinion)
3-I tryed the new voices.quite intresting.I like the strings. pianos are nicly improved than the ones that come with the WK8 but I like my Rolands .
4- see above
5-I would buy it if it were something like $1999.99 but what my dealer is offring for is very discourging.

------------------

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online