SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#151929 - 05/05/02 04:16 AM PSR2000 Tutorial
BruceM Offline

Loc: New Bern, N.C., USA
I hope everyone with a PSR2000, or everyone considering the purchase of a PSR2000 takes the time to look over the excellent tutorial Joe Waters, with the help of a number of forum experts, has put together. It is a work in progress, and I believe it will make the official manual obsolete in a short period of time. Let these people know how much you appreciate their efforts. I can't wait to see the next phase of the tutorial.
The link is: http://pages.prodigy.net/watersj/Yamaha2K/index.html

Keep up the great work guys...

[This message has been edited by BruceM (edited 05-05-2002).]

#151930 - 05/05/02 08:47 AM Re: PSR2000 Tutorial
Joe Waters Offline

Loc: Sterling, VA USA
Thanks for the compliments, Bruce. It seems there is no problem coming up with potential topics; that site may take a year or more to fully complete. Of course, a by product of working on it is actually learning more about how the PSR-2000 works. I think the next topic I want to add will explain what parameters actually get saved when you SAVE a style, or a registration file, or simply turn off your machine. The details are in the Data List manual, but most users would never stumble on the appropriate table.

#151931 - 05/05/02 03:46 PM Re: PSR2000 Tutorial
Beakybird Offline

This site is a fantastic idea! Thank you Joe.

I would like to contribute on a topic or two, but I don't know how to illustrate.

I think that for a gigging performer, I have the quickest set up and take down times, and I would like to offer my recommendations on that.

I would also like to offer insights into revoicing XG voices on a style. The problem with doing this on the PSR2000 itself, is that any change made overrides midi control patch changes made throughout the style. I use CASM Edit and export into Cakewalk, and from there I go to the event list. On a complex style, there are often many control changes where the patch is changed.

Larry

#151932 - 05/05/02 08:00 PM Re: PSR2000 Tutorial
RicRob Offline

Loc: Bethlehem, PA, USA
Joe Waters
Your sight is absolutely great!
Many thanks to you and others who have contributed to making it happen.
Evertime I sign on, I check to see anything new has been added.
I have used all the downloads.
Thought I learned all the features of a certain function but there always seems to be something I missed along the way.
Realize it takes time and patience to filter through all the functions of this unit so please don't get discouraged and keep up the great work and allowing so many of us to further enjoy the PSR2000.
RR

#151933 - 05/05/02 09:25 PM Re: PSR2000 Tutorial
Joe Waters Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Beakybird:
This site is a fantastic idea! Thank you Joe.

I would like to contribute on a topic or two, but I don't know how to illustrate.

I think that for a gigging performer, I have the quickest set up and take down times, and I would like to offer my recommendations on that.

I would also like to offer insights into revoicing XG voices on a style. The problem with doing this on the PSR2000 itself, is that any change made overrides midi control patch changes made throughout the style. I use CASM Edit and export into Cakewalk, and from there I go to the event list. On a complex style, there are often many control changes where the patch is changed.

Larry

Love to have your input, Larry. If you can write and send me the text (plain text file or Word or whatever you find convenient), I can put it into the web format. Quickest setup, eh? Maybe you can get someone to take some pictures while you are setting up and we can include them as illustrations. If they are digital, great; if not, I can scan them in. If you include actual times for setup, I'm sure there will be lots of competitors seeing if they can beat your time!!

Although I now have Cakewalk, it remains a mystery to me -- if you would like to add some info to help PSR-2000 users take advantage of Cakewalk in their style editing, that would be great. I certainly couldn't do that. I will start a whole new section for Cakewalk.

By the way, while I'm responding here, I should also mention that I've just added another batch of 20 styles converted from the Roland series to the download section. There's a nice Calypso in there -- it's the first time I tried using the Steel Drums for the left hand voice and they worked great!

[This message has been edited by Joe Waters (edited 05-05-2002).]

#151934 - 05/06/02 12:27 AM Re: PSR2000 Tutorial
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Nice site Joe. Great to see more PSR-2000 support online. I have of course added it it the Yamaha listing at Synthzone.com so other PSR-2000 users can find it.

#151935 - 05/06/02 07:30 AM Re: PSR2000 Tutorial
Joe Waters Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel:
Nice site Joe. Great to see more PSR-2000 support online. I have of course added it it the Yamaha listing at Synthzone.com so other PSR-2000 users can find it.

Thank you, Nigel. I hadn't reviewed that link for quite some time and forgot that it was there. It holds an incredible number of Yamaha site links. I'll will add it to my key links page.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online