SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#151623 - 04/26/03 04:54 AM What harddisk for my Tyros
Alain Offline

Loc: De Panne , Belgium
Hello,

I just bought a Tyros and I want to buy a harddisk, not the original from Yamaha.
What harddisks will work....travelstar ???

Thanks a lot,
Alain

#151624 - 04/26/03 06:30 AM Re: What harddisk for my Tyros
Micco Offline

Loc: Finland
I have a 20 GB Hitachi hard disk on my TYROS and it works very well. It is cheaper than the IBM and better than that. My dealer told me that small IBM hard disks have had many faults compared to the Hitachi hard disks.

Micco

#151625 - 04/26/03 07:23 AM Re: What harddisk for my Tyros
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Alain: I (and many others here as well) have IBM TravelStars installed on our Tyros and have not experienced any problems whatsoever. I own (and recommend) the 20 gigabyte IBM Travelstar 'model 40GN' (4200 RPM) which cost me $80 six months ago. There is also a faster (5400 RPM) more expensive model 40GNX version available, but on the Tyros, I'd doubt you'd notice any benefit of the extra cost.

This being said, IBM recently discontinued their Travelstar laptop hard drive line altogether, and subsequently, Hitachi 'took over' that Travelstar line, calling it the Hitachi Travelstar 'model 40GN' now. I concur with Micco that the Hitachi Travelstar is a good choice.
http://www.hgst.com/hdd/travel/tr40gn.htm

The bottom line though, it that the Tyros will accept most any 'off the shelf' laptop hard drive which meets the following criteria:

2.5 IDE
Height 12.7 mm max
40 GB max

Scott

#151626 - 04/26/03 08:49 AM Re: What harddisk for my Tyros
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Hi Scott ,

How does the hard drive work on the tyro's ?

Does it allow you to play songs directly from the hard drive ?

What about editing songs , can it be done on the hard drive , while the song plays ?

Curios ....... Dan

#151627 - 04/26/03 09:10 AM Re: What harddisk for my Tyros
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
IBM sold their Hard Drive division to Hitachi about 2 or 3 months ago. The Big plant here in San Jose now has the Hitachi name on it and IBM is GONE!
Bebop

#151628 - 04/28/03 11:15 AM Re: What harddisk for my Tyros
drpete Offline

Loc: Fresno, CA USA
I took a HD from my old laptop (Hitachi) and it works great.
I have a question for you, do you have the same issues regarding the following?

Any body experiencing this problem??? Go to a preset style like modcountrypop, variation B (with drums)....using this style to record a song. Record from measure one to measure four and stop and play it. It sounds ok. Now go back to measure four ( fast forward) and start recording from measure four to measure eight. Now stop recording and play the song from the beginning. It plays ok until you get to measure four....then all hells break loose. The drums got loud, especially the bass drum. I checked the event editor and it was normal. What the hell is going on?

Bee

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online