SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#15145 - 07/08/06 11:57 AM Ep Expander how to store a style and rename ?
Giovanni Offline

Loc: Norwich Norfolk England
Hi Folks I've recovered from my 2 weeks holiday, in the USA and have had a visit from the engineer to re midi my Concerto accordion to the XP expander , it seems to be better this time , so fingers crossed !!

I would like help with the following 2 problems .

I've selected the style "disco Samba" set the tempo suitable to play El Cumbanchero .
I now wish to rename and save that style and call it El Cumbanchero .
I've looked at the Manual but i have to say it does not give clear detailed instructions which are easy for the likes of me to follow !!

Question 2
Is the XP expander CD player capable of playing a complete Cd one track after another "like normal" cd players you would find in your car/ home / pc ???

Or will it only play one track and then the user has to select and press for the next track to play .
Again I see no real mention in the manual !!!only single track play instructions

Any help would be appreciated .

regards ............Giovanni

Warning folks many more thick questions to follow !!!!!!!!!!!!!

#15146 - 07/09/06 08:04 PM Re: Ep Expander how to store a style and rename ?
donpatt Offline

Loc: Lufkin, TX.
Hi Jiovanni,

Welcome back, I don't think there has been a message posted since you've been gone. Don't know what happened to te XP Owner's Association!
HOPE YOU ENJOYED YOUR USA HOLIDAY!

Your questions in reverse order!

TO PLAY A CD (track after track):

From the main screen

1) Insert the CD
1) Press the SELECT button (at the left of the Recorder controls)
3) From the SONG PLAYER MENU choose CD (function C)
4) On the right select CD DA (function F5)
5) For continuous play press (function F8) and the CD will play one track after another.

Question 1:

I don't know if you want to know how to save your style or how to name it? HOWEVER,

1) Choose your style:
2) After all of your changes:
choose the STORE BUTTON (left of the cursor keys)
3) From the STORE SCREEN you have three choices. MEMORIES (default), PRESETS, STYLE PRESETS:

In the remainder of the screen, there are these choices.

MEMORY NAME
USER BANK
MEMORY

You obviously want to save your style "El Cumbanchero" to MEMORY!

4) tO NAME YOUR MEMORY, DO THIS!
A) Press (BANK - key (on the left) ONLY ONE TIME. This changes the alpha-neumeric keys (1 thru 8) to ABC instead of 123.
B) Type in your name "El Cumbanchero" using the keys 1-8. NOTE: the cursor blinks to allow you to choose the proper letter. i.e. ABC to choose the "C" press the #2 button three times.

The BANK + Button is #0

On the right o the cursor keys are the INC and DEC buttons. In this mode they move the cursor (typing cursor) to the left or right.

Above the buttons (1-8) are the buttons (PRESETS, MEMORIES, SOUNDS, STYLES). In the typing mode these buttons function as CAPS, SPACE, DELETE, INS.

AFTER YOU TYPE YOUR MEMORY NAME:
1) CHOOSE THE USER BANK (1 thru 113)
2) Choose the MEMORY (1 thru 8)
3) PRESS ENTER to save the style.

And now I'll tell you my problems!

After you've done all this, the problem for me is this. even from the memory position,when you recall the style you just saved, if you use the choose a sound from the STYLES PRESETS the SINGLE TOUCH BUTTON lights up and the XP returns the style to the original tempo, unless you have tempo lock ingaged. I DON'T KNOW HOW TO OVERCOME THIS. It is very annoying.

Regards,
Don

P.S. Hope you enjoy your six function footswithc, you must be the only person in the world who has one. According to your man in the UK it may take 11 months to have one; if at all.

[This message has been edited by donpatt (edited 07-10-2006).]

#15147 - 07/10/06 12:31 PM Re: Ep Expander how to store a style and rename ?
Giovanni Offline

Hi Don , Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to answer my questions .I new i was having problems when I could'nt even get the CD player to work !!!!!
I think you should apply for the position of re writer of the instruction manual !!!!!.
Saying that ,I have a KN7000 manual and the only reason i know how to do a lot of things on the KN7000 is because a company in the UK called TECHNOTE produced a bi- monthly magazine for the Technics company and it always featured a lot of very Easy to understand tips on how to get the best from the Technics Keyboard products. I've kept all the magazines and over the years just about everything you would want to know has been covered .
Sadly with the dimise of the Technics brand the magazines have stopped .
What I'm trying to say, is that it encouraged many users to try things on their keyboards that most people would not have the confidence our knowledge to attempt !!!
I think this is something that the other manufacturers should take on board !!

Thanks to you I now know how to use the CD player and I saved my first style memory !!!
NB . the max number of letters that can be saved in a title is "11"

Regarding the 6 way foot switch it all sounds very strange that the pedal is not available in the USA .
I'll give my good friend Dave Sadler at Jack White music in Norwich a call tomorrow to find out about the situation.
I think your other problem is something that Dave McMahan may be able to answer .

once again many thanks

Regards .............Giovanni

PS Yes I had a great time in the USA
Visiting Washington DC seeing all the sights and then on Las Vegas for the Accordion convention .
As an Accordionist I'm sure you now the names of Dick Contino ,Art Van Damme. Peter Soave , Ron Borelli, Bernadette Conlan , Mady Soave , Iona Purkiss , Gina Branelli ,
Gordon Kohl ,Joe Domitriwich just to name a few !!!

#15148 - 07/10/06 07:07 PM Re: Ep Expander how to store a style and rename ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Guys!

Sorry it took me a while to stop by.

Well, I see that I some competition in the Help Department. Welcome Don, and thanks a lot for jumping in with well thought out and well presented answers.

As for your issue with the Tempo changing by selecting a Style Preset; Among other things a Memory stores a Style selection, sounds for your right and left hands and a tempo. When you select a Style Preset you are sort of jumping out of the Memory that you selected and returning to the Style Mode. This is one reason the Tempo Lock button exists.

On the other hand, I understand why this is cumbersome. So please give me some time to try and come up with a solution. I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
Nat'l Product and Support Manager
Generalmusic USA
GEM Community Forums

#15149 - 07/11/06 06:26 AM Re: Ep Expander how to store a style and rename ?
donpatt Offline

Thanks Guys,

Yes Dave, two things.

To be more specific about my problem mentioned above, I would like to know if it is possible to separate the S.T. BUTTON from the tempo control.

Also, can you see if you could put some pressure on those concerned with sales and see if the six-function foot pedal could be had in the US. This is a must for me. Because sometimes the function I want to switch to is two menus deep in the XP and it is not practical to do this with my hand while trying to play.

I know this is not your area, but any help you could offer us would be appreciated. I know that Jerry T. is certainly interested.

Thanks
Don

#15150 - 07/11/06 10:01 AM Re: Ep Expander how to store a style and rename ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by donpatt:
Thanks Guys,

Yes Dave, two things.

To be more specific about my problem mentioned above, I would like to know if it is possible to separate the S.T. BUTTON from the tempo control.

Also, can you see if you could put some pressure on those concerned with sales and see if the six-function foot pedal could be had in the US. This is a must for me. Because sometimes the function I want to switch to is two menus deep in the XP and it is not practical to do this with my hand while trying to play.

I know this is not your area, but any help you could offer us would be appreciated. I know that Jerry T. is certainly interested.

Thanks
Don

Hi Don,

The Single Touch Play button really isn’t tied to the Tempo at all. What Single Touch Play does is this;
1. Activates the ARR. On/Off button (arranger).
2. Activates the ARR. MEM button (left hand auto-sustain).
3. Sets the Keyboard Mode to ACCOMP. SPLIT (accompaniment split).
4. Automatically selects the first Style Preset of the currently selected style.

Each style, or to be more specific each Style Preset stores not only the live play and accompaniment sound assignments, effects settings, pedal and wheel assignments, vocal genius settings, etc. but also a tempo for the style they are a part of.

If Style Presets 2-8 have not been created with a tempo different to what is stored in Style Preset #1, then the tempo will remain the same when selecting any of the 8 (potential) Style Presets.

If Single Touch Play has not been activated, the tempo of a selected style is STILL controlled by the tempo stored in Style Preset #1 of a given style even though the sound assignments of that Style Preset have not been recalled.

I hope this helps in understanding what is going on inside just a bit. The important thing is I understand why you are asking and why it would be nice if this worked a little differently. FYI: I have already been in contact with the product manager in Italy and am waiting to hear back from him to see if something can be done to change the functionality. As soon as I have more information I will let you know.

On to the pedal; I agree that it would be great to have the Multi-Pedal here in the US. The problem is the cost and selling price. I’ll see what I can do. You do realize that the Genesys XP has 3 pedal inputs right now that can be used to access various functions, right. And the Memories, Sound Presets and Style Presets can store pedal assignments. So if you need a particular function (up to 3) for one song but access to different functions for another song, that is no problem.

Best Regards,

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
Nat'l Product and Support Manager
Generalmusic USA
GEM Community Forums

[This message has been edited by WDMcM (edited 07-11-2006).]

#15151 - 07/11/06 11:50 AM Re: Ep Expander how to store a style and rename ?
Giovanni Offline

Hi Don , I phoned Dave Sadler this morning re:- 6 way foot switch for you .
He is still trying for you and has not forgotten you .
I can't see what all the fuss is about ,The factory should just supply you .I had no problem getting mine from the Factory ,it is all really quite strange goings on !!!from the Italian factory !!
I'm sure it will all work out in the end .

Send and Email addressed to the Managing director in Italy and see what happens !!!!

Regards ........Giovanni

#15152 - 07/11/06 12:56 PM Re: Ep Expander how to store a style and rename ?
donpatt Offline

Thanks Giovanni,

Dave Sadler wrote me a nice e-mail about the pedals. He said that I could have a container load of them for abt 35,000 British pounds. Or maybe he could get 4 of them but it would take abt 11 months.

So, we'll see/

Again thanks,
Don

#15153 - 07/11/06 02:22 PM Re: Ep Expander how to store a style and rename ?
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Hello Everyone,
I'm happy to see activity on the Genesys forum. I have nothing to contribute right now. I put the XP back in it's bag for a while. I have several issues to clear up. I'm disappointed as I thought that I would be gigging with it by now. My dealer rep has agreed to meet with me to address the problems I'm having with my XP. Some of the problems are similar to what you, Giovanni and Don have described. The XP is also a new experience for the dealers here and we're hoping we can all learn about the XP.
Giovanni, happy to hear you had a good holiday in the states. Every year I threaten to attend the Las Vegas convention - maybe next year.
Don and Dave, keep that good info coming. I'm saving it all for future reference.
Ciao,
Jerry

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online