SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#151515 - 08/29/05 02:57 AM Headphones
Caragabal Offline

Loc: Hobart Tasmania Australia
As mentioned on another thread I have purchased a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 NX sound card and a Lodgitech X530 speakers system.
Because the wife objects to how loud I play music she has offered to by me some dearer headphones.I would also uses them with my PSR3000 as I practice for gigs.
I was going to buy 5.1 headphones but my local music store has advised that I would be better off with stero headphones which are used in some studios.
I would be looking at up to a $Aus300 purchase.
Advice as to the best option would be very much appreciated.

#151516 - 08/29/05 04:25 AM Re: Headphones
trevorjohn Offline

Loc: Cambridge United Kingdom
Just an irreverent thought but would it not be easier, though probably not cheaper, to change the wife instead?

Yours wickedly....trevor

#151517 - 08/29/05 05:47 AM Re: Headphones
Caragabal Offline

Loc: Hobart Tasmania Australia
Trevor, your option had not even crossed my mind.
Who would I have to pay for the headphones.

Cousin Ken

#151518 - 08/29/05 06:14 AM Re: Headphones
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Just in passing I use SENNHEISER HD 270. The main benefit is all spare parts are available down to the extension lead which is detachable.

#151519 - 08/29/05 06:21 AM Re: Headphones
Tomcat Offline

Loc: Ft Collins Colorado, USA
I personally prefer to use, and recommend, the AKG K240DF headphones, but be sure to get the DF ones. They are flat and are made to sound like a non-reverberating room (the big term is "anachoic chamber") plus they are open back so you can wear them a long time without ear fatigue. Your wife would be able to hear slightly but not much. The ear pads are very soft and comfortable and I use my pair all the time. They now cost about $160 at zzounds or musicians friend.

Tom

------------------
Bigger is not always better

#151520 - 08/29/05 12:29 PM Re: Headphones
Hasko Offline

Loc: Finland
You should really think about how comfortable are they to wear. If you use them for many hours at a time you'll regret if you bought ones that make your ears hurt and sweat As Tom said you can wear them all the time if they're good. That you will learn to appreciate if you buy uncomfy phones

I bought Grado SR-80's and they sound quite good now but they're not very comfortable. Sometimes my ears hurt if i've used them for longer than half an hour. I went to check other headphones to replace Grados and Sennheiser HD-595 was extremely comfortable and didn't sound too bad either.

If you want to spend quite much I would recommend the Senns. They're also good for listening to music.There is a little sound leakage but it wasn't even close to my Grados' leakage. Leking shouldn't be a problem unless you don't use them in full volume next to your sleeping wife.

Lower-end models 555 and 515 should also have the same design so they could also be good if you don't want absolute high-end (and expensive) phones.

[This message has been edited by Hasko (edited 08-29-2005).]

#151521 - 08/29/05 01:25 PM Re: Headphones
trevorjohn Offline

Loc: Cambridge United Kingdom
Ah Ken...The beauty of my suggestion is that you won't have to buy the headphones at all. Just another wife and as everybody knows they come dirt cheap.. I'm told that in some parts of the world you can even get a cow with them. (NO mother-in-law jokes PERLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

#151522 - 08/31/05 04:10 AM Re: Headphones
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
I've always been a Sennheiser fan but here in the UK, in the £30-£50 sterling price range the Beyer Dynamic DT 231 are stunningly good value and performance compared to anything else, inclding all the ennheisers I also auditioned up to £80 cost. they are also extremely comfortable.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online