SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#151511 - 03/07/02 10:03 PM Recording plain MIDI from the PSR?
mbl Offline

Loc: el paso tx
Hi friends.

I recorded in my PSR-740 a very simple song to floppy. When I take the floppy to the PC and play it with the Vasco player, it sounds AWFUL. Neither the original voices nor the accomp are correct.

Since the PSR-740 is MIDI compatible, what buttons should I push in the 740 so I end up with a standard compatible MIDI file that would sound decent in any PC with a standard MIDI player?

I realize that there are extensions and beauties to MIDI, but this is a very simple song and I do not want to get into software and edit the file, reassign instruments, and so forth.

I feel the PSR should be able to do that simple job. I do need the autoaccomp to be recorded, of course.

Thanks for help.

mbl

[This message has been edited by mbl (edited 03-07-2002).]

#151512 - 03/07/02 11:20 PM Re: Recording plain MIDI from the PSR?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
There are several things I could think of MBL, but I know nothing at all about the Vasco player. The midifiles I made with my 740 when I had it played fine on all of my other sequencers and synths, ( soft or hardware ) although the instruments don't aleways sound quite the same and the effects routing isn't always right. First I'd check to insure that the Vasco player is set up to properly understand the midi messages from the midfile. Is there a function on it that is set to filter program change messages and events ?

While it is true that the 740 uses the standard midi patches as the base for its' tones the xg part adds bank #s ( usually defaulted at bank 0 for smf format ). It also adds xg sysex info. Either of these things might possibly be giving the Vasco player messages that it can't work with. One thing right off the bat though is that on the 740, percussion tracks are recorded on channel 9. Most Standard midi file only players by default won't read that as drum info. They only read drum info on channel 10 by default, so in order to get that part to work, you'll likely need to move all the drum data that was recorded on channel 9 to channel 10. Have you tried using the regular windows media player on your computer? If so how do the midifiles sound when played on your default synth from your soundcard ? I realize that most soundcard synths won't sound that good, but do the instruments at least correspond ?

Korg AJ

#151513 - 03/08/02 01:50 PM Re: Recording plain MIDI from the PSR?
mbl Offline

Loc: el paso tx
Thank you for your kind reply, Bluzplayer.

With the Windows media player, the song sounds just as horrible.

I understand your explanation but is it possible to set up the 740 to produce no XG commands and to send the percussions to MIDI channel 10 as standard, so the thing produces just a MIDI file that can sound decent in a typical MIDI player?

After all, the device is MIDI compatible, isn't it? I am willing to forget about what it is supposed to do, but perhaps it is possible and someone knows how to.

Thanks, as usual.

mbl

#151514 - 03/08/02 04:27 PM Re: Recording plain MIDI from the PSR?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
MBL,

i wish I had more answers for you, but my 740 is long gone and I'm not sure the 1000 I have sitting here works the same. At a quick glance of the 1000, it appears that I can filter out sysex messages, control changes and program # changes prior to recording with it, but I am not certain at all that this filtering could be limited to just bank numbers. I am not sure it can be setup that way to record, but if I'm wrong by all means someone please correct me. I don't work with the internal seqeuencers enough to have a lot of expertise with them, as I still prefer software sequencers for almost every application. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

korg AJ

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online