SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#151334 - 10/13/03 04:34 AM Re: Need to chose between Kn-2600 and PSR 2100
M.C. GATTO Offline

Loc: Ottawa, ON, Canada
OK... I finally made the move

I went and bought myself a Korg PA-60 on Saturday... I also got a Digitech Harmonizer (external unit) so I have more flexibility compared to the PA-80 with the internal Harmonizer card, and I saved something like $400 that I "used" to get me a professional Studio Headset (AKG)

After 2 days of playing this thig almost for 10 hours/day... I must say... I am REALLY HAPPY about it! Out of the Box is great. And if you start tweaking and messing around with the setting to tune the board to your preferences... you get amazing things out of it! I just re-recorded and re-arranged on the fly some of my songs... and the result is like ... WOW!!!

So far so good...

I will post a review of the PA-60 in the Korg section if anyone is interested take a look there.

Thanks again for all of your help in helping me making this decision.
Here in canada in Thanksgiving Day today... so HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all of you !!

------------------
Cheers,

M.C.GATTO

M.C.GATTO

#151335 - 10/13/03 03:31 PM Re: Need to chose between Kn-2600 and PSR 2100
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Yeah, baby. I LOVE happy endings.

#151336 - 10/14/03 10:10 AM Re: Need to chose between Kn-2600 and PSR 2100
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Congrats on your purchase. I got to try out one of those PA60's.
Did you buy it at a music store or online? If you bought it online, where?
May I ask how much you paid in Cdn funds?
Starkeeper

#151337 - 10/14/03 10:38 AM Re: Need to chose between Kn-2600 and PSR 2100
M.C. GATTO Offline

Loc: Ottawa, ON, Canada
Hi,
I got it from a local store here in Ottawa (Digitalmusicentre). The deal with the PA-60 is... if you find one... get one. They are discontinued in Canada, as of October 2003.
Korg will sell it only in Europe and US. Canada will only get the PA-80 and the new PA-1XPro.
I got a pretty good deal, paid $1850CDN.
Considring that the PA-80 is like $2700CDN, I think the price is right for the PA-60. Additionally, I got a Digitech Harmonizer (for $299) that works way better than the one used inside the Yamaha or the PA-80 and it's a rack mounted unit, so fits perfectly my studio rack .
I would not go for the PA-80... too expensive for what you get in comprison with the PA-60...

So far, today is DAY 4 and I LOVE this arranger. I also found TONS of websites where I can download stuff for it for free (styles, drums, etc...)

------------------
Cheers,

M.C.GATTO

M.C.GATTO

#151338 - 10/14/03 11:30 AM Re: Need to chose between Kn-2600 and PSR 2100
Will Stewart Offline

Loc: Scotland
Quote:
Originally posted by Shakil:
If you will be using sequencer on the keyboard... then stay as far away as you can from PSRs, including the very high end PSR 9000 and PSR 900Pro... they have the worst sequencer.
What good is all that fine resolution, if the onboard sequencer is useless.

I have the PSR2000 for about two years now, and haven't recorded a SINGLE sequence on it. It's too much waste of time.

I am not sure about the KNs.

[This message has been edited by Shakil (edited 10-09-2003).]

Shakil

Can't speak for the PSR9000 or Pro or the KN's for that matter, but I must disagree with you about sequencing on the PSR2000. After getting to know the OS I have found it very easy to record on this board, be it quick record 'live' numbers of fully arranged multi track compositions. I wonder what your problems are?
There are many others who seem to have managed as well. Have a listen to some on Joe Water's www.psrtutorial.com Performers Pages.

Will

Will

#151339 - 10/14/03 11:33 AM Re: Need to chose between Kn-2600 and PSR 2100
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
To clarify Boos statement:
The Backing sequencer in the Korgs works different from other brands. In truth, you are only "triggering" a note (or notes) to send to the sequencer, not the whole arranger, so polyphony is less of an issue. Also size of files.
The backing sequencer allows you to still make fill ins and adjustments after you record the song. No one else works like this to my knowledge. The full 16 track sequencer is also present in the Korgs, but they work like a conventional unit should....like all the rest.
For laying down simple arrangements, and adding a few parts over top later - the Backing sequencer is very easy, but it's not as specific as a full sequence, because you are using generic patterns as the base tracks.
Bottom line: If you like the styles....you'll love the sequences you make, and you don't need to be a drummer to program the rhythm parts.
Even a bricklayer can do it.
(atta boy Boo!)

Absolutely UD. A very user friendly instrument when it comes to sequencing and one of the only ones that I'll ever use the internal sequencer in ( the Motif Es is useful too ). Believe it or not, the other arranger that had the same functions ability to change drum fill, drum patterns, arranger patterns, chords.. etc AFTER a sequence was recorded was the Casio MZ2000. It had other excellent features too, includiong an internal midi file to style convertor and very useful sliders. It was the easiest arranger to operate in real time of any that I had. If it had some better patterns and some better basic sounds, and maybe some after market support, I would still have mine..

Since it has been acknowledged that it was somewhat of a KN5000 clone, I would wonder if any of the KN boards had thjese functions as well.

MC Gatto... Hope that PA60 is for you everything the PA80 has been for me. After having mine for 2 and a half years, I still have yet to try any arranger that I like better.( I've tried a lot of them ). It isn't perfect, and I would have liked at least one more fill per style, but when I compare it overall to any other arranger, it's still the best one for me to use.

AJ

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online