SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#151304 - 10/06/03 02:40 PM Re: Need to chose between Kn-2600 and PSR 2100
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
"Here, a neutral forum but more pro-Yamaha, it seems general opinion is Yamaha is better (better sounds, etc.)."

I don't believe it's a pro Yamaha thing as much as it is a diversity of experience by many professionals who have tried just about every keyboard that comes on the market. Nearly all seem to favor Yamaha for one reason or another, and from my personal experience, they're been the leader for more than a decade when it comes to the quality of styles, voices and operating system. Granted, there are some folks who are Technics, Roland and even Cassio fans, but most working (gigging) performers, especially those who perform for a variety of audiences with large, medium and small venues, it's going to be difficult to beat all the attributes that Yamaha has to offer. No, this is not a commercial for Yamaha (Steve), and if there was something better available, at least for my purposes, regardless of cost, I would buy it tomorrow. But for now, I, and many of my collegues, will likely stick with Yamaha.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#151305 - 10/06/03 02:44 PM Re: Need to chose between Kn-2600 and PSR 2100
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Why can't people be objective?
Because music, voices, key feel, styles, etc. are subjective.
"There is No Reality; Only Perception", Dr. Phil McGraw.
Starkeeper

#151306 - 10/06/03 03:19 PM Re: Need to chose between Kn-2600 and PSR 2100
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Bluebird,
I don't think it's so much that people can't be objective, it's just that we all have our personal likes & dislikes about keyboards.

We also have different needs depending on whether you're an entertainer ( who needs an inbuilt vocalizer and instant access to styles) or whether you're just a home hobbyist who likes to fiddle round. It also depends on the types of styles you use. Some keyboards do certain genres better than others. To me, the styles are pretty important. It's no good buying a keyboard who's styles you don't like, in the hope that 3rd party styles will solve your problem.

You really shouldn't be swayed by other peoples opinions of a certain keyboard, their personal needs may be totally different from your own.

Best to try and work out what it is that you expect from a keyboard, and then try and find one that closest suits your needs & budget. We tend to want the latest & greatest, but it's not neccesarily the one that suits us the best.

I personally did up a list of likes & dislikes. Last year I was tossing up between a Tyros & a KN7. After doing a list of features ( I was already aware of Yamaha functions as I'd owned a 9000pro) , ie sequencer functions, style creation capabilities, sound editing etc etc,
the kn7 won hands down for me. The same features that made me decide on the kn7 , may not be important to a tyros owner.

So,I really don't think it's a case of people not being objective.

best wishes
Rikki

----------------------------------

Quote from Bluebird

Why people can't be objective?

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#151307 - 10/06/03 04:13 PM Re: Need to chose between Kn-2600 and PSR 2100
Bluebird Offline

Well, I understand you, but....

I think to have different needs and preferences is ok. So, it is ok if you like a good vocalizer and direct-disk function, to go to PSR.

But a lot of opinions here and there are not about needs or preferences. They are radical opinions like "its sounds are far better", "its styles are far better"

And so, I can't understand how is it possible that a man thinks PSR sounds are far better, and other one thinks KN sounds are far better.

[This message has been edited by Bluebird (edited 10-06-2003).]

#151308 - 10/06/03 04:40 PM Re: Need to chose between Kn-2600 and PSR 2100
M.C. GATTO Offline

Loc: Ottawa, ON, Canada
OK. I went to my local trusted music Store here in Ottawa. I bought all my studio stuff over there (and it's quite a bit.. ).
I asked the guy to set for me the PSR2001 and the Korg PA60 side by side so that I could try them both. Why the PA60? Because the same guy knows me, and he knows i'm a Korg enthusiast (I own a Trynity Rack, a Triton Studio, a T3-EX and a M1... )
Anyway, he gave me his opinion about both keyboards before I got into them, and ... he thinks the PA-60 sounds better.

So I start playing the Korg first. I was impressed. The sounds were nice, styles were sexy... overall a nice keyboard.
I was so impatient to get into the PSR2001 at that point. Just looking at the two keyboard side by side, I must say I was turned down by the PSR. It looks like a toy, compared to the PA-60. They keyboard also has a weird feeling. while the Korg keys have a nice feeling. Anyway, I started messing around with the keyboard. It took me a while to figure things out, since I never owned a Yamaha Arranger before, but after a while I started.

Well... sound after sound, style after style... I was not that impressed. Maybe I was expecting too much? I don't know, but it does not sound Professional to me. maybe I have a wrong first impression?
I left the place after 2 hours because I was so disappointed at the PSR and I was so attracted to the PA-60.

So I gave myself a break, and an opportunity to discuss these impressions with you guys.
I will go back on Thursday to make the final decision. Also, I will go back to try again the KN2600 and KN2400 (good alternative if one doesn't need SD slot)

I am all eager to hear your feedback about my impressions... please just don't shoot on the pianist

M.C.GATTO

#151309 - 10/06/03 05:27 PM Re: Need to chose between Kn-2600 and PSR 2100
KN_Fan Offline

MC,
You own a Triton Studio? How good are you with it? We should chat and help each other out (or more like you helping me).

Thanks,
KN_Fan

#151310 - 10/06/03 06:06 PM Re: Need to chose between Kn-2600 and PSR 2100
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hello M.C.

I think you did the right thing by taking a break. I've been in music retail since 1976 and I've seen many a customer confuse themselves by trying to take more in than they can handle.

I sell Lowrey home organs. One thing we learned in the organ business is never let a customer see three organs? Why, because they will in fact get confused and won't buy anything.

I have a PSR2000, almost the same as the 2100. I think the sounds and styles and ease of play are terrific. I have tried a PA80/60. I really don't care for the Korg sound. AND everybody else who heard me play both thought the Yamaha sounded great, and the Korg sounded bad. This is very subjective.

I have not heard a KN2600, I would like to. I was going to buy one just to try it out, and sell it if I didn't like it. But the main thing I have heard about that one from different people, is that it sounds harsh, that the organ sound is thin and they are overpriced as usual.

I think if your store will let you try the keyboard at home so you have at least a couple weeks is the best way to go. Otherwise there is way too much sensory input, IMO to pick one, unless one just knocks you out with the sound, ease of operation, styles available on the internet, support etc.

If they won't let you try it out at home, maybe its worth finding someone that will do that, OR buy one with the idea you are trying it out, and you can always sell it on ebay.

Let me give you my experience as an example of me trying out a Tyros. First time, I wasn't sure if I liked it. I thought maybe my PSR2000 sounded better. Next time, I liked it a little more. The third time I fell in love with it, and people in the store were really checking me out.

Here's the funny part. I just bought a Tyros about two weeks ago. I really didn't like it at all. The sounds and balances in the room I was in sounded not that great to me. After playing with it for two weeks, I am used to it and am liking what it does more and more. The difference between my PSR2000 and the Tyros as far as sound and everything else is like night and day. Actually a different week. My 2000 sounds good, but the Tyros eats it for lunch.

Just some food for thought.

Take your time in your decision.

Best

Scott Langholff

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 10-06-2003).]

#151311 - 10/06/03 06:35 PM Re: Need to chose between Kn-2600 and PSR 2100
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
M. C.

I know the feeling after playing the PSR2100. I play a Ketron X1 and I was thinking of selling it and buying a PSR2100. I did buy the 2100 but returned it because overall it was a disappointment to MY ears. I've heard others DonM in particular make theirs sound great. I wasn't able to do that. I wanted to like the 2100 because of all the support out there for it and it does have a ton of great features for the price. Maybe with enough tweaking I can get comfortable with it. I just ran out of time and had to send it back. I may try again with the 2100 at some point in the future.

Tom

Tom

#151312 - 10/06/03 08:07 PM Re: Need to chose between Kn-2600 and PSR 2100
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Tom, the 2100 doesn't like the cold, wet weather up there in the North. It wasn't trying hard enough.
Seriously, you made my 2000 sound great when you were here. I'm surprised the 21K disappointed you.
DonM

#151313 - 10/06/03 08:59 PM Re: Need to chose between Kn-2600 and PSR 2100
Shakil Offline

If you will be using sequencer on the keyboard... then stay as far away as you can from PSRs, including the very high end PSR 9000 and PSR 900Pro... they have the worst sequencer.
What good is all that fine resolution, if the onboard sequencer is useless.

I have the PSR2000 for about two years now, and haven't recorded a SINGLE sequence on it. It's too much waste of time.

I am not sure about the KNs.

[This message has been edited by Shakil (edited 10-09-2003).]

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online