SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#15094 - 03/02/04 12:11 PM OT...Does apply to GEM though...
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Hello all,

I found out why I couldn't download the latest OS for the WK8SE from GEM's web site. A security patch for IE that came out in early February removes the feature or ability that allows a username and password to be embedded into the URL.

Here's what I mean, if we were to go to GEM's (Italy) website, navigate to the Download section of the WK8SE and click on the link to the new OS, we would get the following URL:

http://uuser003:gem@storage.generalmusic.mysam.it/Public/Downloads/GEM/OS/wk8se/wk8se_280600.zip

Notice the beginning of the URL, the "uuser003:gem" part. This is the username and password that is used to allow access to the GEM storage server holding the wk8se.zip file. Before MS security patch 832894, this syntax would have worked. But for a lot of us Windows users that are set for automatic updates, this feature was removed. Sure, you can strip out the username and password and submit it manually to the following URL:

http://storage.generalmusic.mysam.it/Public/Downloads/GEM/OS/wk8se/wk8se_280600.zip

Username = uuser003
Password = gem

But how many folks are going to know to do that?

Another way would be to do what the following MS Knowledgebase article suggests:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=834489

I've already informed the web programmers here at work that they might be re-coding some web pages if they were using this style of embedding.

Bottom line is, I got the new OS for the WK8SE and I will load that into my WK8 soon (with fingers crossed).

mike

#15095 - 03/02/04 05:51 PM Re: OT...Does apply to GEM though...
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
msutliff,

May I ask a question which has nothing to do with this thread? For a long time, I have been seeing posts using "OT" and I always wondered what it means.

Sorry and Thanks, please continue the original post.

By the way, I do not like the way they programmed the access. This is not safe at all in my humble opinion.

#15096 - 03/02/04 06:29 PM Re: OT...Does apply to GEM though...
msutliff Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by sk880user:
...I have been seeing posts using "OT" and I always wondered what it means.

Hey SK880user,

No problem...OT means Off Topic, at least that's what was explained to me. Kinda gives ya a heads-up as to the possible content. Funny, I always find myself going right after the OT subjects to give them a read. Just curious what other people have to say about anything, I guess.

Quote:

By the way, I do not like the way they programmed the access. This is not safe at all in my humble opinion.

Maybe, but this is a popular way for a web page to allow the end user (the public) access to files on a different computer. The server administrator of the different computer makes sure that login and password is only good for those files, nothing else.

mike

#15097 - 03/02/04 06:55 PM Re: OT...Does apply to GEM though...
msutliff Offline

Hello all,

Ummm, I just tried to load the WK8SE OS into my WK8 Megastation and got the

INCORRECT OS...Please insert the proper disk

error message. The file on the floppy is called "Wk8_se.lz1", the file size is 1,376KB, and the Date Modified is 6/28/2000 at 11:57 AM.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

mike

#15098 - 03/03/04 03:05 AM Re: OT...Does apply to GEM though...
JoostMerema Offline

Loc: Netherlands
rename the file to the filename the original WK8OS has...

#15099 - 03/03/04 06:38 AM Re: OT...Does apply to GEM though...
msutliff Offline

Sounds good Joost, I'll try that tonight when I get home.

That's it? That would be great! I figured I'd be going into the guts of the file and editing there. For instance, here's a short cut&paste from the first line of the code:

$ó-lh5-~ d•5  WWK8_SE.BIN 8

I'd much rather just edit the filename then sift through all that.

I'll let ya know.....

mike

#15100 - 03/03/04 12:47 PM Re: OT...Does apply to GEM though...
tazar Offline

Loc: san diego, CA, USA
all,
does this mean that I can use this OS for my
WK8 MegaStation. Are these two WK8 SE and WK8
Mega OS compatibles?

Tony

#15101 - 03/03/04 05:02 PM Re: OT...Does apply to GEM though...
msutliff Offline

Hello all,

Nope, still didn't work. Now I get this error:

OS-FILE Name Error
Please Insert The Correct OS-Disk

I've got two OS's for the WK8, the floppy that came in the Owners Manual, "Wk6_8.lz4" and the update that came out 6-28-2000 and that file name is "Wk6_8.lz6". Neither rename worked.

Looks like I'm missing something here.

I was hoping that maybe Dave or Paul would have commented. They didn't and I wonder if that's a sign.(?)

mike

#15102 - 03/04/04 05:27 PM Re: OT...Does apply to GEM though...
kevind Offline

Loc: Manchester UK
are we talking about the new os for the wk8 le?,as the olny wk8se one I can see is dated 2000!

#15103 - 03/04/04 06:01 PM Re: OT...Does apply to GEM though...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by msutliff:
Hello all,

I was hoping that maybe Dave or Paul would have commented. They didn't and I wonder if that's a sign.(?)

mike

Mike,

Sorry that I did not jump in here sooner, but I am traveling and it is sometimes hard to get the time to visit the forums. I do try to answer inquires as fast as possible, those that come through the GEM support e-mail address as well as those on this and other forums.

I am not sure what you meant by your comment, but rest assured that Paul and I and everyone else at General Music are working very hard and things are just great here and getting better every day, so please let's stop these kind of destructive comments here and now. OK?

Anyone with an operational question on a GEM product is welcome to send an e-mail to support@generalmusicus.com. These messages are delivered directly to me and I will check these first if I am running short on time. If you have issues not relating to a normal product support inquiry, feel free to ask me and I will direct you to the proper contact.

As for the software upgrade issue, I will have to contact Italy and find out why you are having difficulties. I will post the results just as soon as I get them.

Best Regards,

Dave McMahan

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online