SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#150950 - 10/23/06 05:59 PM Anyone Have Any Advice???
mustard Offline

Loc: Overland Park, KS, USA
Hello all. I've been lurking on this forum for quite some time while I saved coin for an arranger keyboard. Time has come to belly up to the bar and acquire a board. The problem is that the only type boards I can find around my neck of the woods are low-end beginner type boards. And, although I am a low-end beginner type player, I want to get a high-end board. Don't ask why.

So, what to get? Based solely on Internet demos, my preferences are (in order), G70, PA1X or Pro or PA800, Tyros 2. I would like to acquire such board for Christmas, so the PA800 might not be available???

I would ask what is the "best" board, but I know that won't work on this forum as angst seems to take control. Go figure. So, I guess I'd like to ask what are the characteristics of each product line? Such as, which board would be most reliable, how often are software upgrades provided, which boards are most flexible, which might be best suited for a newbie, etc.

Another approach would be to ask what are the nuances of each board that might be helpful in guiding one's selection.

As you can see, I pretty much have zero idea of what to ask, but somewhere, someone out there might have a good thought to share with this poor soul?

I might also add that such acquisition would be for a hobbyist. Ages ago I taught myself how to hit keys and make noise, and make no mistake, I make noise, not music....but then again, beauty is in the eye (ears) of the beholder, right?

Anyone care to weigh in with a response? I'm all ears...and thumbs. Thanks.

#150951 - 10/23/06 06:12 PM Re: Anyone Have Any Advice???
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
You can ask what is the "best" board...and I will answer...easily the G70..Best sequence playback..Best style tools,..best key feel,...best organ,...best harmonizer,..and best constuction..

All of the above are true..

#150952 - 10/23/06 06:21 PM Re: Anyone Have Any Advice???
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Wow ...... Fran likes Roland stuff, huh?
Go Figgur !

#150953 - 10/23/06 06:24 PM Re: Anyone Have Any Advice???
Dnj Offline

Dave ....what makes ya say that?

BTW Mustard heres some helpful hints discussed before.......
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/004401.html

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-23-2006).]

#150954 - 10/23/06 06:28 PM Re: Anyone Have Any Advice???
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
The 3 amigos in one post...WOW!!!!!!!!!!

#150955 - 10/23/06 11:20 PM Re: Anyone Have Any Advice???
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hello mustard
The best board for beginners and for ease of use is the T2 (Unless you go for a used Technics which leaves the T2 OS for dead) however the easy operation is also its downfall, in that you have limited editing features onboard.
Roland’s need some user input to set up, but once done you can get one hell of a sound. (I would suggest E80 rather then G70)
The Korg models are the most balanced of the boards you mention, but the OS can be difficult to get into. (Well worth the effort though)
My personal choice would be one of the low end boards that you have your area, as these will give you the experience, and also allow you to focus on what you like and dislike, thus making your next keyboard choice a whole lot easier.
Hope this helps

Bill

#150956 - 10/24/06 03:38 AM Re: Anyone Have Any Advice???
gilbert Offline

Loc: Oelsnitz /E Germany
Hi Mustard,
For what its worth I would agree with Abacus that the Roland E80 would be a good choice for all the resons Fran gave for nominating the G7. Although they have almost the identical easy to use o/s out of the box the E80 is ahead of the G7.I have just parted from my Tyros2 but have retained my Prs 3000 which is now coupled to my E80 giving an incredible range and dept of sound,
which to my ears are in the main as good as or better than my Tyros2.The o/s of the G7 and E80 are easy to master and changes on the fly are the quickest of any board I have owned.Tweaking all parts of the E80 is a breeze as is the creation of both styles and midi files.The only down side for me with my E80 is the lack of usb thumb drive.Hoever,you have easy usb connection to your computer which requires no special driver and the lack of thumb drive is somewhat compensated by up to 8 gib removalble compactflash card and floppie disk .Hope this helps

Gilbert.

#150957 - 10/24/06 04:37 AM Re: Anyone Have Any Advice???
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I'd suggest doing a search on this forum for the models which interest you; you'll find tons of info.

Second, your title for this thread gives no idea what you seek; it's a very poor title. You'd get more response by stating what you are after. Too late for that, as you cannot edit titles.

Since you are new to arrangers even a used model would give you much enjoyment, just not state of the art. Then, after you use one awhile, you could buy what you want. Good luck.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#150958 - 10/24/06 05:47 AM Re: Anyone Have Any Advice???
KFingers Offline

Loc: Brighton - UK
I agree with Bill above (SemiLive) - If you tell us more of what you are looking for either in features or type/style of music then you would get more relevant responses.

If you like dance/Trance then I'd say Korg, if you want ease of use then I'd say Yamaha, If you want something that very few others have then I'd say Ketron, if you say quality piano then I would say Roland etc etc.

There are so many factors to consider from length and touch of keyboard and weight to the availability of third party or free styles.

As you are so new I'm sure you would be blown away by a mid range roland or Yamaha like the PSR3000 and it not such an expensive mistake if and when you change later on.

It may also be possible to buy one on sale or return and just pay a re-packaging fee if you don't keep it after the first month but you should be reasonably sure it's what you want before you do this.

I have bought "blind" the Tyros1 and 2 and also a Ketron XD3 and have not been disappointed but I have a lot of experience with arrangers having played and sold them for quite a while - you really should try to get to see some models to try even if it means a long trip.

Best of luch with whatever you get - you won't look back

Kind Regards - Keith

#150959 - 10/24/06 05:51 AM Re: Anyone Have Any Advice???
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
I would recommend a PSR3000 or wait for the next 3K upgrade, but it's not top-of-the line!!!
Easy operating system, USB thumb drive (really like this feature) (I haven't used the smart media card at all), very good voices, tons of styles available, plenty of ram onboard for files, and this model is used by professionals (many on this forum). Loading of styles from thumb drive is very fast, you could just leave it plugged in.
One professional tried the Tyros, G70, and went back to the PSR3000.
The sweet flute, sweet soprano sax, sweet trumpet, can't be matched by any other board, IMO, except the Tyros.
Downsides: poor construction, organs a little weak, smaller keys (this might not bother a new user, I don't have a problem with it), only 61 keys (the 3K replacement might have 76 keys).
I own one, so I made an excellent purchase. I am a relative newbie, started with a Roland EM20, them PSR540, PSR550. I will keep the Yamaha PSR550 and PSR3000 for a long time to come.
Starkeeper
P.S. My PSR550 has an organ voice called 16+2, that I really like, and it is not on the PSR3000.

[This message has been edited by Starkeeper (edited 10-24-2006).]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online