SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#150960 - 10/24/06 06:36 AM Re: Anyone Have Any Advice???
Dnj Offline

More importantly as a beginner....take some serious lessons from someone experienced enough to teach you to play the way YOU want to, and practice diligently daily for a few hours a day for a few years to really see if your cut out to be a KB musician.....before wasting money on an expensive KB that is beyond your limits as a novice player....in a few years you can make a much more confident decision as to your musical direction regarding a top of the line arranger......all those fancy bells & whistles mean nothing unless your a very proficient player & technician, there is no shortcuts....in the long run you'll be glad you did.

Good Luck

#150961 - 10/24/06 06:59 AM Re: Anyone Have Any Advice???
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
The arrangers you mention are top of the line items. That is great that you might be able to afford such a fantastic machine. If you have never played an arranger for any length of time, my suggestion is to go to a music store where you can sit down and try some things out first. As good as Donny's (DNJ) advice is, it is time consuming and it sounds like you are ready to buy soon. Starkeeper's advice to go with a lesser keyboard is a good idea if you are not sure what you are going to do once you get the board. This way you will have most of the features of the better model, but may have the opportunity to trade up or to another manufacturer once you understand what it is YOU like and dislike about your first choice.

These people are correct when they say this board is best and worst - for them. All of the arrangers you mention are awesome feats of technology. What matters is what type of player you are and what you expect to do with the board you buy. Also, each manufacturer has its own 'sound.' Rolands do sound different than Yamahas or Korgs or CCasios, so your favorite board might be based on that. Recognized chord structures can be different too, and believe me that can make a big difference for some people.

------------------
Cass Pawlowski
PSR2000, VR-760

#150962 - 10/24/06 07:02 AM Re: Anyone Have Any Advice???
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
An excellent post by Donnie. I would strongly recommend his advice.
Starkeeper

#150963 - 10/24/06 08:03 AM Re: Anyone Have Any Advice???
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Mustard already stated he tried the lower end boards[that are readily available to him]..He states he knows he wants a top of the line board[for his own reasons]..

If money is not a factor[apparently he is prepared to purchase a high end arranger], I say buy the best..You can not go wrong buying the best...You can definitely can go wrong buying a far inferior model..

I give you credit for stepping out into the "Best area"..

If I have the money, I don't need to buy a mid size car, when I know I want a luxury full size car..

No need to buy a step up product unless you can't afford it..

Buy the "Big Boy"..

#150964 - 10/24/06 09:32 AM Re: Anyone Have Any Advice???
George V Offline

Loc: Sofia
Starkeeper wrote:

I would recommend a PSR3000 or wait for the next 3K upgrade

the 3K replacement might have 76 keys.

Starkeeper, I share your hopes and wishes about the 3K replacement but if it had 76 keys and Super Articulated voices that would be a poor marketing decision because it would outsell the Tyros 2.

On the other hand, the 3K+ has not been announced yet and there are usually 6 months interval between anncoucement and release date of Yamaha keyboards. I was left with the impression that Mr. Mustard wants a keyboard now.

My advice is to go for whichever top keyboard you like. Try out the sounds and styles and make your decision.

Also, you can listen to our contributed songs to see what can be done with the different models. There is plenty of information on the SZ to help you make your mind.

Regards,
George

#150965 - 10/24/06 05:58 PM Re: Anyone Have Any Advice???
mustard Offline

Loc: Overland Park, KS, USA
Thanks for all of the nice input and observation. However, let me clarify a couple of things. First of all, I'm not the eBay type who might first purchase a lower end board and gradually sell/trade my way up the arranger board ladder. I'd much prefer getting something at the upper end and then milk it for all it's worth. I fully understand this probably isn't the most efficient way to get into this hobby, but like I said, that's kind of how I'm wired.

Furthermore, I've been waiting/saving for a looooong time. Heck, I've seen all sorts of boards come/go while waiting for $$$'s and technology to hit some sort of intersect. And, in my mind, it's time for this boy to drop anchor and get something. I almost took the dive when I30's were new, so that tells you how long I've waited. Color me slow.

Also, I certainly don't want to give the impression that $$$ isn't an issue. It is. But, like I said, I've been saving quite awhile and am ready to take the plunge.

Can anyone please clarify if the E80 and PA800 are, or will be, available here in the US prior to Christmas? I'm kind of thinking that if not, I might be leaning towards the G70.

Thanks again for all of your thoughts and observations, they are much appreciated.

PS. Interesting how I'm probably conversing with folks all over the world. Truly amazing.....

#150966 - 10/25/06 12:51 AM Re: Anyone Have Any Advice???
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Start with a psr 3000.

then you'll have an idea of what you want.(damn sure that you'll keep 3k even if you get a G70 or pa 800) after.Because it is lighter than G(lightest arranger with USB to device,VH and video out),better OS and styles than PA,it can be a great 2 nd KB.T2 can be a little too much to invest if you don't like it.3k is a good addition to G,Pa and SDs.

So even if you got G or Pa after that you'll be playing more 3k for sure.

#150967 - 10/25/06 01:42 AM Re: Anyone Have Any Advice???
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
i jump in the discussion even if i don t have it yet, my new roland e60 is on it's way to me... in couple of weeks i'll have it right here with me.
you can easily see i buy it "blindly"... there is no way to check it, at least where i live, i just give enough credit to roland, and some users that gave some review...
anyway, it seems to me that in the middle range (aproximate 800 - 1500 euro) this keyboard offers the best functions and sounds - matter of taste of course! - and it is worthy to give it a try...
i know in america e60 will be available only later this year or even next year. too bad. but is an option you should think about!

good luck!

#150968 - 10/25/06 01:51 AM Re: Anyone Have Any Advice???
Samm Offline

Loc: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Hi,
I agree with Fran: G 70 is probably most completed aranger keyboard on todays market.
But,...
Roland is also bigest muckworm on the market: I get from GEM hundreds of firstclass songs, bonus styles, samples..., and guess what Roland gave me? Nothing but basic things! Ya, those things are , as I said before - best.
Greets,
S.

#150969 - 10/25/06 03:22 AM Re: Anyone Have Any Advice???
Beakybird Offline

Mustard, if you had a lot of disposable income, I would recommend getting the best board possible.

But you have been saving a long time. I think that for a beginner, you would get so much out of a PSR3000 or used Tyros or Technics, and you can save the change for something else.

I know it's off topic, but make sure you don't blow your whole wad and then not be sorry that you don't have $$ for

1. a car when yours breaks down
2. retirement
3. some other essential.

I have a wayward brother who is a beginning/intermediate guitarist. So I am looking through the lens of my experience of him. He has limited disposable income. He spent $3000 on a custom made guitar that sounds no better than my $1000 hand made Yamaha LL-400.

He makes a lot of purchases like this. Always wanting the best. But he's 47 and doesn't own a home - doesn't even have a car (He's an extreme case). Doesn't have a penny saved for retirement.

If I were a beginner and had limited disposable income, I would look at other income priorities before buying the best arranger keyboard that, with my limited skills, I will probably not enjoy any more than I would enjoy a PSR3000 or used high end arranger. I would save the rest of the money for something else. Perhaps it would be something essential that I would need. Or perhaps it would be the eventuality that my keyboard skills improve and I am ready to purchase a high end arranger keyboard. Perhaps when this time comes, there will be a model out that really blows the current models away.

Beakybird

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online