SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#150900 - 04/14/02 07:39 PM What Chord mode is good for Piano Beginner (PSR2000)
Hau Tristan Offline

Loc: HK
Hi,

I would like to hear your comment on the chord mode. Which one is siutable for a piano beginner like me ?

Secondly, I would like also how "long" did you split your keyboard for left ?

Cowby

#150901 - 04/14/02 08:13 PM Re: What Chord mode is good for Piano Beginner (PSR2000)
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Hi Hau,
IMO- the "Fingered-Mode" should be the way to go. Say for example you want to play a C-chord (c-e-g) if your not playing those notes then the display will not show what "chord" your playing until you play the right notes. That is a very good way to learn chord as well. From there I would move to "AI-fingered" mode I like that setting because if I wanted to play a "c-add b-bass" it would sound correct or I could just go from come c to c7 and hit the b-flat below -c-. From there AI Full KB if you play alot of "piano or organ" sounds.
I hope this helps, best of luck
jedi

#150902 - 04/14/02 08:16 PM Re: What Chord mode is good for Piano Beginner (PSR2000)
Hau Tristan Offline

Loc: HK
Hello,

As I am a new Chord learner, I got little understanding of AI. But I will try it tonight. One complain for the PSR 2000 is the keyboard itself. Pretty hard/tough to press for the chords :< I need to push hard !

Cowby

#150903 - 04/14/02 08:26 PM Re: What Chord mode is good for Piano Beginner (PSR2000)
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Hi Hau,
It might help if once your 2000 "boots-up" turn the "touch responce" off by pushing the "touch-button" in the "Effects" section of the panel settings Your right about the "key`s" very cheap and "toy-like"
jedi

#150904 - 04/14/02 08:45 PM Re: What Chord mode is good for Piano Beginner (PSR2000)
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
On splits, all of my arrangers are between Eb and E (in the second octave ). For me it's a personal preference. I have to have a bass E note for guitar emulations ( which I do a good bit of in my playing ).

AJ

#150905 - 04/15/02 09:20 AM Re: What Chord mode is good for Piano Beginner (PSR2000)
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
The way AJ does it is very musically correct. I find guitar "licks" are easier for me to play in F or G than E, so I normally split the keyboard so that F or G is the lowest lead note. Then I often cheat and use the transpose button so that the keyboard sounds in E. This also allows me to play more variety of chords (some inverted) with the left hand before running out of notes on the high side.
There are many ways to do it. You must experiment and find which way suits you best.
This area is where I really prefer 76-key arrangers, but we must adjust to what we have. As they say in the South "Dance with what brung you".
I will interpret this if necessary.
DonM

#150906 - 04/15/02 12:49 PM Re: What Chord mode is good for Piano Beginner (PSR2000)
Nobby Offline

Loc: Palmyra Mo. U.S.A.
Don,
In the old PSR-510 you could transpose the right Main, the Layer voice & both Left first & second voices up and down 2 full Octives!
They also would stay that way until You changed them! This helped so much to keep your instrument voice in the right range no matter which key you were playing in!
On the 2000 to do that, You half to use the octave setting and the transpose to move a voice 2 octaves Have you ever tried to set your Main Voice at one octive, and your Layer
at another setting! Don't work does it!
I'm not saying that with a lot of setting & saveing to memory might get the job done.
I could even do this with my 400 & 500!!
I sometimes like to use strings as Layer voice, somethmes an octave higher or lower! Yea!
The 2000 is a great board but it could be so much better, if Yamaha would just quit taking away the things that really worked!
Sorry guys for getting of the subject!
But my friend DonM pulled my chain!!
Really I still love this rascal!
Nobby

[This message has been edited by Nobby (edited 04-16-2002).]

#150907 - 04/16/02 06:18 PM Re: What Chord mode is good for Piano Beginner (PSR2000)
Nobby Offline

Loc: Palmyra Mo. U.S.A.
Hi Hau,
If your learning by ear. Try your first songs in the key of C its easier to play lead in C, not so many black keys! Play single note with your right hand for a while. Use at least 3 finger chords with your left hand! ( C C7th F G7th C )
To me the next easiest is the key of G then
maybe F After I learned my chords, I found that I was adding harmony notes to my lead.
When that left hand is pretty much automatic.
You will find all kind of things you can do
with your right hand. I would also suggest turning oh the arranger, and playing the piano by it's self.
If you can do that you will have no trouble operating the arranger.
It's a matter of knowing which button to push & when!
Just my opinion! Will except any feedback
good or bad.
nobby

------------------

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online