SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#150663 - 03/12/02 08:39 AM Who works with a stand alone vocalizer and why ?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
As I wait for my PSR2000 to be replaced, I am trying to work with a stand alone Digitech vocalizer and a temprorary replacement PSR1000. It works but it hasn't been all that pretty . I just think for me it's easier to have the controls right there in the board rather than have to jump around while live and try to set my vocalizer up for different songs. I realize that I can set it up for individual songs and the like, but it's hard enough for me to get my registrations in order for our songs that I use the arranger with vs getting the midi file ready for the few songs where I want a mid file to play just the drums and bass for me. That's all doable, but adding the external vocalizer just gives me one more step in setting up the next song. What about you seasoned pros? I have everything planned out as best I can, but I'm kind of learning what works best in a real time live situation as I go along ?

korg AJ

#150664 - 03/12/02 10:14 AM Re: Who works with a stand alone vocalizer and why ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Prior to getting the PSRs with vocal harmony, my duo used the digitec quite a bit. But my female singer would punch in the settings while I set up the registrations on the keyboard. This was a very workable situation. (She has since had an operation on her vocal cords and cannot sing.)

Now that I am using the PSR2K on most jobs, the Digitec has not seen the light of day.
The KB vocal harmony is not quite as good as the digitec IMHO.... but it is fine if used sparingly. But, that is also true of the Digitec.

Trying to Harmonize everything you sing is too much and not realistic. Sliding into a note will will cause a sudden shift of voices in the harmonizer which is very distractive. I much prefer to hear a singer's individual phrasing (especially in verses) and then a little harmony in the chorus when it will enhance the song.

My philosophy: The use of booze, credit cards and harmonizers should be used in moderation.

Eddie

#150665 - 03/12/02 10:27 AM Re: Who works with a stand alone vocalizer and why ?
Bluezplayer Offline

Yep, I agree with sparingly, but I also want to be able to use it when I choose to yet keep all my "setups" simple as possible. I'm guessing the simplest way is the built in to the keyboard type. Thanks Eddie

Korg AJ

#150666 - 03/12/02 08:00 PM Re: Who works with a stand alone vocalizer and why ?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I almost never change the preset voices. I like two above mine and one below. Sometimes I drop the one below another octave for a 50's sound, but that's mostly it.
I use a TON of harmony, and I don't overuse it a bit. My sound is based on a 4 freshman type ensemble, and I would be so lonely without it. Since I got the Voice prysm, I am spoiled but I remember a feature on the Digitech that allowed for those smooth slides into and off of a note. The key to a harmonozer is balance. There is only ONE correct level. Too much sounds fake, too little sounds whimpy . Find the sweet spot, and stick with it.
I really have no need for lots of presets, because I trigger the notes from the right hand. That way the chords are always fresh and interresting with lots of passing tones and such. If the arranger section drives the harmonizer, the chord structure suffers a little. Unless you have a monster left hand. I don't. I play simple chords with the left, if any. Mostly - it's left hand bass and right hand chords for my arrangenments.
Find "your" sound for the voice and just turn it on and off. I wouldn't worry about too much "hands on" time with a harmonizer. The chords it reads should provide all the variety it needs.

#150667 - 03/12/02 09:57 PM Re: Who works with a stand alone vocalizer and why ?
Bluezplayer Offline

Thanks Uncle Dave. I'm not so sure that I'll be using it all that much ( my partner has a killer voice and mine is ok enough to do harmony with ), but there are specific situations where we'd like to use it.

Playing the keys is one thing.. I'm very comfortable with that part, with or without accompaniment. On the other hand, with some of this technology that I never had at my disposal so many years ago when I last played live it seems like I'm learning a whole new skill all over again.

AJ

#150668 - 03/13/02 08:29 AM Re: Who works with a stand alone vocalizer and why ?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
You're lucky to have a partner to sing with. Now you can do all the "oooh's and Ahhh's" that really make an arrangenet come alive !
I love when guest singers sit it with me (good ones, that is) I turn my lead vocal down a bit and just do the backgrounds - it's great fun, and sounds like a million bucks.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online