SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#149652 - 04/17/02 01:03 PM Going oriental
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
The song I have just finished to record was written many years ago by Duke Ellington and Juan Tizol, trombone player in Ellington's orchestra; the title of the song is "Caravan" and this time I have tried to get as oriental as I could (not much, I am afraid). The instruments used are all kind of reeds (Oboe, English Horn, Clarinet), with the exception of a sinthy sound for the little solo; the style is a (tweaked) Roland style from a very old arranger: anyone able to guess the name of the style and the arranger I am referring to?
Enjoy!

Andrea

http://andrearotolo.tripod.com/dreamer/id1.html

#149653 - 04/17/02 02:27 PM Re: Going oriental
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I love Duke Ellington's music and your arranger KB rendition does it great justice. I really love the syncopated rhythm, the woodwind sounds, and the ambient feeling created by your efx processor. You had previously asked for critical comment re your songs. I really like your melodic phrasing, but your phrases tends to run together. I might suggest you release your fingers from the keyboard (monemtarily) between melodic phrases, in order to emulate what a horn player and singer would need to do: Breathe! Remember: The space BETWEEN the notes are as important as the notes themselves.

BRAVO! . . . terrific work ! I'm really impressed with the tremendous growth you've displayed since your first song.

Scott

------------------
scottyee.com

#149654 - 04/17/02 06:02 PM Re: Going oriental
rhumba Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, MN, USA
please excuse my ignorance, but, what keyboard did you use to record this song?

#149655 - 04/17/02 09:53 PM Re: Going oriental
Dreamer Offline

Scott,
you are right; maybe today I will record again the woodwind tracks. I have alreaday re-done the first two bars of the solo in "And I love her".

Rhumba,
I have used, as in all my other songs, a Roland VA7. What do you think about the sound or the song in general?

#149656 - 04/18/02 10:12 AM Re: Going oriental
rhumba Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, MN, USA
Dreamer, you have some great songs there! I'm not at a level to critique a performance like Scott so ended up enjoying your productions instead. Of course, I can't understand and yet your songs and your styles are very pleasant to listen to.

#149657 - 04/18/02 10:24 PM Re: Going oriental
Dreamer Offline

Thank you, Rhumba.
I am right now trying to record "Moonlight Serenade"; the idea would be to record a "classic" version (a la Glenn Miller) and a "funk" version (a la Eumir Deodato), but I have problems to find a good style for the second one. Any suggestion, anyone?

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online