SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#149320 - 12/19/05 02:45 PM Question for Tyros 2 owners
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hello

I would like to hear from those that have used pro sample voices in the new Tyros 2. Is it easy to do? How expensive? What voices did you get and how do they sound? Any mp3 demos online? Any other threads or forums with info on this?

I haven't been around much lately, sorry if this is a repeat question.

Thanx
Scott Langholff

#149321 - 12/20/05 02:39 AM Re: Question for Tyros 2 owners
rolandfan Offline

Loc: South Africa
Besides its 42 super articulation sounds its other pro sounds are the 120 sweet,live and cool sounds

#149322 - 12/20/05 03:15 AM Re: Question for Tyros 2 owners
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Hi Scott,

Welcome back home..

To tell you the truth, there are so many on board voices that are of such high quality, I have no need to use sampling at this point. If I do, it's for specialty sounds such as the BUS sound in the beginning of Venga Bus. The T2 voices are THAT good!!

Regards,
Al

[This message has been edited by kbrkr (edited 12-20-2005).]

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#149323 - 12/20/05 03:20 AM Re: Question for Tyros 2 owners
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Yes, I'm refering to 3rd party voice samples. The kind that Frank R raves about.I'm surprized, in talking to Scott Yee, he mentioned he hasn't seen much about this yet either. I would think this would be a major selling point if you can have the exact voices you want.

#149324 - 12/20/05 03:52 AM Re: Question for Tyros 2 owners
Michael P. Bedesem Offline

Loc: Shrewsbury, VT
I have played around a bit with not too great success.

I wanted to add more fiddles to the T2, but could not find any set of single note instrument samples with built in loops (needed for the sustain). I had hoped that you could just load some of the files for sampler products, but this does not seem to be the case. You have to craft your own.

I used the free TWE product from Yamaha and struggled with its poor documentation. I think I am getting better at it (making loops) but I still have to master conpression of the dynamic range and how to space samples across the keyboard. It all takes time which I have little of.

Wav sample CDs are also not cheap. Typically $100+. And that is just the starting point. The samples are all copyrighted in such a way that you can not even distribute a Yamaha voice made with one, so trading/buying/selling seems problematic.

There is hope, but right now, as I understand the raw materials, the tools and the process, it is more than most players will tolerate.

Any insights or solutions would be welcomed.

Regards,

Michael

#149325 - 12/20/05 10:15 AM Re: Question for Tyros 2 owners
Eric, B Online   content

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
As far as I know Yamaha is planing to create a sound library for the T2.

I don't know when this is going to happen, but I wouldn't be suprised if they would listen to the consumers needs.

At least a start.

Eric

#149326 - 12/20/05 10:17 AM Re: Question for Tyros 2 owners
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Michael, in general is correct in his assessment of acquiring and installing third party instruments. When you install such instruments you need to do this response/challenge stuff. Now, it may be possible to do this on your computer first and then transfer the wave files to another computer or keyboard....I have my doubts. One could enquire about such things with some of the developers. Most of them are very helpful, e.g., Bardstown, VRSound and others.

The other thing is that it is not just a matter of moving the Wave files. You would need to tie them altogether into a virtual instrument. Sometimes you can use conversion software such as Awave or CDXtract to accomplish this. The thing is not to give up to soon. There are some very very very good sounding instruments out there.....much much much better than what you will find in a Tyros or Motif, etc......

The other thing is that many of these instruments are very large in size, e.g., Bardstown's Bosendorfer 290 weighs in at around 2.3 GBs. There are newer versions that are very good and much smaller in size, e.g., Garritan's Jazz & Big Band Library.

#149327 - 12/20/05 05:38 PM Re: Question for Tyros 2 owners
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Michael,
how much sample memory do they actually give you to play around with??

Maybe the idea is to give you the option of adding the occasional sampled sound that doesn't exist in the Tyros itself rather than add extra piano's samples , strings , brass whatever, unless hopefully Yamaha intends to bring out a library of samples.

I've been playing round with soundfonts
(which are created from wav files) I've got piano soundfonts that range in size from
3 megabytes up to 200 megabytes.
The difference appears to be, the amount of samples recorded to make up an instrument ie is every note sampled, or or only every 5th or 6 th note, some are even recorded at various velocities for the same note. Also where it is looped makes a big difference to the size of the sample.

My new Ketron SD1+ has a sampler. Haven't quite gotten to reading that section yet. I know I can sample with it, I think the hard drive also comes with some onboard sampled sounds, so it will be interesting to see how large these wav files actually are. I'm not even sure how large my sample memory is?
I tend to think the only thing I'll probably use it for is the Live Drum 2 ( which can be used to incorporate audio loops of drums into a style or midifile) & maybe the occasional effect sound.

It could be interesting to see if a soundfont could be split up into wav files and used in the sampler. A project that will have to wait till after xmas.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Michael P. Bedesem:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online