SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#148829 - 08/28/06 08:34 AM If I only had the programming skills.....
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I just mentioned the software versions of the M1 and Polysix in another thread. I had both of the hardware boards, and I can tell you that there isn't anyone I know of ( including me ) who can tell the differences between the two hardware and software versions soundwise.

If I had the skills, I'd love to be able to make a software Tyros 2, PA1X, G70, Motif ES, Triton Xtreme, etc...

I'm wondering if Korg was able to sell enough
that the work involved was at all worth it to them... it must be a huge amount of work, not just the building part but also the detail of so authentically replicating the original... I'm guessing I could probably never do it alone even if I did have the skills.

AJ

#148830 - 08/28/06 10:26 AM Re: If I only had the programming skills.....
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Whilst my admiration knows no bounds for the people who code these things, the biggest stopper to making a software Tyros 2 would be persuading Yamaha to releasing the underlying sample library.

#148831 - 08/28/06 10:46 AM Re: If I only had the programming skills.....
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Wow a software T2! That would be pretty damn cool. Would it sell??? Hell yes it would, but Yammie would never make something like this..., they could't do it, and then justify the $3,000 and up price on the keyboard version Of course that would apply to any of the upper end arrangers, and not just with Yamaha.

Either hardware, or softare module forms would sell. There's no question to that. Yamaha and the other's know there's money in these units. Only problem is the companies don't want to lose the sales on the actual keyboard itself. The last decent modules (synth wise) that come to mind were the Triton Classic Rack, and the Yamaha EX5-R.

Now the companies release the rack versions, but with no sequencers and other goodies that you have to buy the actual keyboard to get.

Oh well....., anyway it would be very cool to get a software version of a T2 or other major arranger. I could only imagine the price tag that would follow something like this though.

From what I'v heard that software version of the M1 has good sales. The M1 as you and I know is a Korg legend too, and from what I've read Korg really hit it dead on with the software version and did an amazing job replicating the original M1 sounds.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#148832 - 08/28/06 10:58 AM Re: If I only had the programming skills.....
Bluezplayer Offline

The sounds are spot on Squeak. I'm not sure about how the MS20 and wavestation translate, as I never owned either of these, but the software versions surely sound good.

AJ

#148833 - 08/28/06 11:19 AM Re: If I only had the programming skills.....
T42 Offline

Loc: UK
I use the Korg Legacy collection along with some other software synths on my PC.
The legacy is great and offers M1 and Wavestation (plus all the expansion cards sounds) MDE-X multi fx plugin, MS-20 and Polysix analog synths.. a vast collection of great classic sounds. It's cheap as well, considering how many instruments you are getting for your money.

#148834 - 08/28/06 11:46 PM Re: If I only had the programming skills.....
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
I don't really think that a software version of the M1 or even T2 for that matter would be "difficult" to make.

It was all bits and bytes and samples from the start after all, and someone has written code to store, play and manipulate it.

An analog keyboard gone softsynth, on the other hand, is no little feat.

#148835 - 08/29/06 12:34 AM Re: If I only had the programming skills.....
chony Offline

Loc: New York
It ain't gonna happen.

The profit margin on $3500 Hardware Tyros, is going to be a lot bigger than on a $350 Software Tyros.

#148836 - 08/29/06 01:15 AM Re: If I only had the programming skills.....
Bluezplayer Offline

It was merely a dream. I think it's pretty much a given that it isn't going to happen. All of the stuff that is released on software now is vintage or close to it.

Witness that Korg didn't put the Triton series on software, and that the Moog endorsed emulations are for vintage synths, not for current products like the Voyager. The remaining emulations out there..( Imposocar, Arp2600, CS80, etc ) are all for vintage boards.

I don't know even if the Tyros or G70 were "vintage" that it would happen. Arrangers are of the modern breed of keyboard that becomes "obsolete" in a few years as the next model replaces it, and although folks eventually may wax nostalgic for boards like the Triton, I'm doubtful that there will be a huge call for The PSR9000, or the PA80.

AJ

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online