SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#14869 - 03/16/05 11:00 AM WX2 need servicing assistance
frrogoy Offline

Loc: Nashville, IN USA
Anyone here know where I could get assistance servicing a WX2 Workstation? Or find someone who can repair it? I have the service manual (schematics), but so far I have been unable to resolve the problem. In some instances it works normally, but on many of the voices, songs, rhythyms, demo, etc. it hangs up after a couple of seconds, sustaining whatever sounds were being played. At that point all controls are unresponsive except the on/off switch. I've tried resetting the system. Until the freeze, everything operates normally - quality, volume, disk drive access, pedals, etc. I'm in Indiana.

#14870 - 03/16/05 05:41 PM Re: WX2 need servicing assistance
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello,

Here is a GEM dealer south of you in Jeffersonville that has a service center;

Far Out Music
2008 COOPERS LANE
Jeffersonville, IN 47130
Phone: (812) 282-1122

Please check you e-mail address that is in your profile. I have sent you the latest WK2 keyboard software and instructions on how to handle the files for install. This may solve the problem without a visit to a service center.

If this does not solve the problem, either contact Rob at Far Out Music or call our technical service manager Artie Specht at 630-766-8230 and he can tell you if there is a service center closer to your area.

Best Regards,

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
Nat'l Product and Support Manager
Generalmusic USA
GEM Community Forums

#14871 - 03/17/05 05:05 AM Re: WX2 need servicing assistance
frrogoy Offline

Thanks for the help! I assume it's OK to install the WK2 software on a WX2?

#14872 - 03/17/05 06:09 AM Re: WX2 need servicing assistance
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by frrogoy:
Thanks for the help! I assume it's OK to install the WK2 software on a WX2?

Oh oh!!!! STOP, NOBODY MOVE!

I am afraid I misread your post and thought you had a WK2. I am very sorry. DO NOT INSTALL THE SOFTWARE I E-MAILED TO YOU.

I will ask Artie to e-mail the appropriate O/S to you.

Again, I apologize for the mistake.

Sincerely,

Dave McMahan

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
Generalmusic USA
GEM Community Forums

#14873 - 04/01/05 08:25 AM Re: WX2 need servicing assistance
frrogoy Offline

I cleaned and reseated all the connectors. Found a sound board mounting screw lying
on the sound board. Screwed that in where it belonged. I checked page 1 of all the voices (selectable from the panel) and mapped the bad ones. (The bad ones slow down and stop.) I have them on an excel spreadsheet. Don't know how they map to the eproms though.

Another interesting symptom: All the rhythms (styles) work OK when only the drums are playing. If I play single notes with the right hand, the tempo slows down and after a few seconds I get a "Warning Too Many Events" message. It I start the accompaniment (left hand) it freezes immediately.

#14874 - 04/01/05 09:00 AM Re: WX2 need servicing assistance
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is anything plugged in to the MIDI IN and OUT ports that may be causing the MIDI Overflow message (Warning Too Many Events) via a MIDI loop? Just a thought.

I suggest you forward these new finding to our technical service manager. You will find an e-mail link to the technical service department at www.generalmusic.us under Contact.

Best Regards,

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
Generalmusic USA
GEM Community Forums

[This message has been edited by WDMcM (edited 04-01-2005).]

#14875 - 05/04/05 04:01 AM Re: WX2 need servicing assistance
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm also experiencing exactly the same problem.

It seems to occur when a certain amount of polyphony is applied.
You can make the keyboard hang just by pressing several keys using a sound like the Strings or Voices.

The only thing wrong I could spot by openning the keyboard was the battery on the CPU board that was leaking. Replacing it didn't solve the problem however.

Did you make any progress on your side ?

Cheers,
Daniel

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online