SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#148722 - 11/04/05 01:28 PM Re: Need opinions on software
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
THe other solution is to get a 76 note keyboard/controller. That way you can assign the lower notes to those functions.
Starkeeper

#148723 - 11/04/05 02:56 PM Re: Need opinions on software
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Trident,
I set up the keys to suit myself. I don't use a lot of the functions , so I just left them out. I'd be luck to have a dozen or so keys actually assigned.
With my piano, I ended up getting a cheap remote computer keyboard, that I stand up against the music rest, rather than use the laptop keyboard. As far as I'm aware a numeric keypad won't work, ( better clarify, the small type of numeric keypad you mentioned) which is a REAL PITY. I suggested it to Jos at one stage, but so far I don't beleive it has been implemented as a function.

If you normally use your styles in sequence throughout the song ie go from vari1,to 2 to3, then you could use the higher, lower variation keys, plus there's a key for Intro/Ending and a key for Fills. So in short you could cut down the number of keys required on your computer keyboard.

One function I hadn't noticed for a long time was the presets. It's really great to be able to set everything up for a song , ready to go, just the same as in the keyboards.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by trident:
[B]I

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 11-04-2005).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#148724 - 11/04/05 03:32 PM Re: Need opinions on software
Jos Maas Offline

Loc: Hantum, The Netherlands
Rikki,

In the current version, using PC keyboard 2, you can assign functions to the keys: 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 - / that will be accepted both from the keypad as the main part of the keyboard. So that's exactly the 12 you needed. The num-lock must be on.

Jos

#148725 - 11/04/05 05:32 PM Re: Need opinions on software
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Jos,
I use PC Keyboard 2 but since I alternate between using the laptop keys & the remote p.c. keyboard, I've found it easier for the time being to just use letters as my laptop doesn't have numeric keypad section.

A small numeric pad ( like Trident mentioned) http://www.goelectronic.com/Merchant2/me...ode=6+KEYS-MICE
would be much more convenient. My remote pc keyboard is really too clunky as it takes up my whole music rest. A nice little numeric keypad could be blutacked or somehow stuck to the midi controller. It would be perfect ( or at least for me) haahaa

best wishes
rikki

p.s. just in case I've misundertood, I am correct in saying it won't work with the type of numeric keypad Trident mentioned??

Sorry,I reread my post and realized what I stated could have been misunderstood.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jos Maas:
Rikki,

In the current version, using PC keyboard 2, you can assign functions to the keys: 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 - / that will be accepted both from the keypad as the main part of the keyboard. So that's exactly the 12 you needed. The num-lock must be on.

Jos

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 11-04-2005).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#148726 - 11/04/05 05:39 PM Re: Need opinions on software
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:
AJ, I don't know about you but for a GM Wavetable not to accept program changes seems to deminish its value. This is an issue with many of them. I guess you can always use the sounds for other purposes.

Thanks for your information on this.

Your welcome Frank. I agree btw. Of the 5 Plugsound modules I have, the GM is the only one that I find to be of little use to me, though it can serve some purpose when I sketch songs quickly in FL or Sonar, in that initially I only have to open one module.

Although later versions of Hypercanvas added the ability to read patch and banks changes, I have never gotten it to work properly. Not such a big deal, because Hypercanvas is fairly good, but certainly not the cream of the crop and and not as good sonically ( to me of course ) as Plugsound's GM module.

AJ

#148727 - 11/05/05 12:31 AM Re: Need opinions on software
Jos Maas Offline

Loc: Hantum, The Netherlands
Rikki,

It will surely work on any numeric keypad. If the keypad works with a spreadsheet program it will work with OMB as well.

Jos

[This message has been edited by Jos Maas (edited 11-05-2005).]

#148728 - 11/05/05 01:00 AM Re: Need opinions on software
to the genesys Offline

don't know if this is important to the original poster, but does OMB recognize rootless chord voicings?

#148729 - 11/05/05 04:53 PM Re: Need opinions on software
rikkisbears Offline

Thanks Jos,
I might do some checking out, and see how I go.
best wishes
rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Jos Maas:
Rikki,

It will surely work on any numeric keypad. If the keypad works with a spreadsheet program it will work with OMB as well.

Jos

[This message has been edited by Jos Maas (edited 11-05-2005).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#148730 - 11/08/05 03:56 PM Re: Need opinions on software
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Oleg,
as far as I'm aware, keyboards do send out program changes ( or at least they used to).
I tried connecting a number of my keyboards to various synth modules over the years.

Problem was the bank & program changes within the style won't neccasarily match your sound modules program & bank changes.
Only way around it was to edit the styles and put in the correct bank , program change no's, adust volume etc etc.

It sort of worked with hardware sound modules ( though an awful lot of work and I gave up), don't know how you'd go with softsynths.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by oleg7:
For me the ultimate system will be an arranger keyboard / software combination. It is hard to beat the control surface of an arranger keyboard for style selection and playing. If the new NI software accepts program changes, then the only issue left would be to make the arranger keyboard to send out program changes for each part of a style. It will be interesting to try this and compare the sound quality, sample load time, etc.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#148731 - 11/08/05 04:04 PM Re: Need opinions on software
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Fran,
you've got Forte, then all you need is a soundfont player & some fonts.
one option may be http://www.rgcaudio.com/sfz%2B.htm
proffesional soundfont player.
There's a demo to try.
I gather you only want them for sttyles, not lead/melody voices.
best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:

Another question,, what do I have to set up to accomodate sound fonts? Please give me specifics..

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online