SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#148712 - 11/02/05 06:33 PM Re: Need opinions on software
pianodano Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia
I am just now beginning to setup my new Receptor/Colossus multis. It does not take long to load a multi. Probably longest is the Steinway, but it would be worth waiting for. Gotta get my EW Symphony Orchestra over to it and hope agaist hope I can get Real Guitar installed. Lounge Lizard is already on it. I had considered adding anoter computer, but I after 2 weeks now, I really think Receptor is the answer. I will just add more if needed. Anyway, once you have experienced the real thing (as in huge samples), there is no turning back. (IMHO). I rarely use even the brand new Hammond XK3/147 now. My Tyros definitely can't compare nor any of the other hardware based instruments in my (modest) arsenal.

After listening very closely to the new T2 demos, I am almost certain the drums are comprised of the same tired, hard on the ears becuse of over compresion, lack of dynamics and expression (my opinion) drum voices they have pedaled for years. TOM, please what do you think re my last statement ?

Danny

[This message has been edited by pianodano (edited 11-02-2005).]

#148713 - 11/02/05 07:48 PM Re: Need opinions on software
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Danny, I agree with you....once you use the large high quality samples it is hard to go back to the workstation or arranger keyboards. The only thing they have is a better control surface. It is not an insurmountable issue. I have gotten used to controling my software based system.

Esh, I think you are on the right track especially for live performances.

Rikki, I think you should completely convert over to software based system and a dumb (no sounds or effects) controller keyboard. There are so many very high quality pianos samples out there. Besides using modern math 'if you have a lot and you spend a little you still have a lot'. Rikki the world is your crucible to mix all the best ingredients....

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 11-02-2005).]

#148714 - 11/02/05 08:33 PM Re: Need opinions on software
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Fran,

My current lineup is in some ways similar to what Frank uses, except that I use modules much more than sample sets, especially live.

Usually I open up Sonar as my host with an instance of Live Synth pro and a somewhat modified version of the SGM180 soundfont for my accomp voices. I too am hoping that NI's Bandstand offers some improvement, but if not, I'll continiue to work on the soundfont.

Style data is sent from OMB into Sonar and then LSP via Maple Midi's virtual midi cable. I can also do the same using FL Studio as my main host, but FL is more of a "studio host" for me, as I find it allows me to edit midi files and add plug ins very quickly and efficiently vs using Sonar. I just like the workflow better in FL

I substituted XLutop Chainer for Forte for playing lead / melody voices, but I think either is a great choice. I open Chainer in Sonar, and then can host a combination of up to 100 isntruments and effects in a single instance of Chainer. I use the Motif ES as my controller. I save presets in chainer that I can easily access by saving and then opening Chainer files.

Typically, I save 16 preset sounds / effects combis in one preset of Chainer. I simply save one instrument setup per channel, and then can quickly access any of the 16 by switching channels in the Motif's sequencer mode.

My favorite modules of late for lead voices come from the Plugsound family of modules. In my "bread and butter" Chainer preset setup, going to ch 1 on the ES opens the PS acoustic piano, Ch2 gives me a Rhodes piano, Ch3 gives me a clavi sound, ch a rock organ sound from B4, ch 5 a percussive organ sound from B4, ch 6 gives me an acoustic guitar from PS's freetd module, ch 7 a clean AC guitar from same module, ch 8 a slighly distorted Fender w / twin reverb from the same module, A great synth lead patch from NIs Pro53 on Ch9, etc etc.....

I also use the Antares vocal kit for vocals and harmonies.

I agree that after being exposed to the incredible sounds out there in the software realm that there aren't any hardware boards currently available that would make me want to put my software "away", at least not at the present time.

AJ

#148715 - 11/03/05 06:36 PM Re: Need opinions on software
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Thanks for the responses..
Let me explain where I am at with the soft synth world.

As Frank prefers, I also am using Forte[host].
My softsynths consist of Roland's Hypercanvas, Super quartet, Orchestral and DX1.
I also have M-Audio's Key Rig.
I also use Native instruments B4 and FM..

Arranger software, I use OMB and Jammer Live...

Other than SMF playback and single lead sounds, I have found the arranger programs live too uncomfortable, compared to the hardware arrangers..

When I added Key Rig, it has 4 modules and I can insert any of the modules into the GM module, allowing me to add a piano[piano module], synth[synth module], and organ[organ module]..I can mute a part from the GM module and select the channel on another module...Great but you pretty much have to keep a fixed map with the added module channels..for example , maybe a brass synth sound on channel 3, organ on channel 4, and piano on channel 1..

The weakness of the Key rig...a single drum kit,,,it sounds great but without the kits I am use to on my G1000..

Another question,, what do I have to set up to accomodate sound fonts? Please give me specifics..

#148716 - 11/03/05 07:49 PM Re: Need opinions on software

Fran, Soundfonts are getting a little long in the tooth but they are not bad. You can start off with downloading (free) a wavetable such as the one recommended by AJ, namely SGM180. You can then acquire Soundfaction's Alive or use Creative Labs free Vienna to edit this table (change effects, change voices, replace voices, etc.). Finally you need a sample player to run the Soundfont Wavetable, e.g., LiveSynth Pro, SynthFont ( http://www.synthfont.com/ ), etc.

Even for the lower quality requirements for live performances, I would still recommend using higher quality lead or melody instruments. You could use the more moderate quality found in libraries such the Garritan Personal Orchestra, Garritan Jazz & Big Band, EastWest Colossus, etc. This in addition to any modules you may wish to use, e.g., B4, Guitar Rig, etc.

You can set this up similar to AJ's above example, i.e., separate instance of say kontakt with a separate instrument loaded on separate channels. The Auto Accompaniment would be run on a separate instance of the appropriate sample player say SynthFont within your host software.

I would like to ask AJ if he has tried the Plugsound GM Module and if he has what he thinks of it.

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 11-03-2005).]

#148717 - 11/03/05 08:34 PM Re: Need opinions on software
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Frank,
I couldn't get "Creative's Vienna" editor to work with my laptop, till I bought my Audigy NX2 USB sound card. I think you actually have to have a creative soundcard for "Vienna" to work.

Alive worked perfectly as an editor in the laptop, (even with the inbuilt sigma card) .

Kenneth's " Viena " editor, works without a creative soundcard, also. Haven't had a chance to try his latest synthfont midi player software.

Viena & Vienna, had me confused for a while, till I realized they weren't the same program

Actually SynthFont is a great way to test and see if soundfonts appeal, without going to the expense of buying a creative soundcard or software that supports fonts.

Now I use either my livesynth pro/forte setup ( which is far more flexible) or the audigy card for playing fonts.

best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:
[B]Fran, Soundfonts are getting a little long in the tooth but they are not bad. You can start off with downloading (free) a wavetable such as the one recommended by AJ, namely SGM180. You can then acquire Soundfaction's Alive or use Creative Labs free Vienna to edit this table (change effects, change voices, replace voices, etc.).

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#148718 - 11/03/05 11:51 PM Re: Need opinions on software
Bluezplayer Offline

Frank,

I have 5 Plugsound modules to date, the GM module included. At 600 mb or so in sample rom, the sound quality is rather good for GM, but it is of little use for live performance backing voices because ( by design ) it does not recognize patch change data.

I also d/l'd Viena for use on my laptop Rikki, but have not given it more than a surface look to date. From what little I have seen, it does appear to mimic Creative's Vienna though.

Unfortunately, Live Synth Pro is no longer in production. There are several other options if you wanted to use soundfonts Fran, though I do agree with Frank in that their best days may be passing by, hence the reason I want Bandstand to work out as a permanent solution.

As far as using OMB live, I too thought it was a bit difficult vs my arranger boards, but after practicing a bit, I find that I have adapted well enough that it no longer is an issue for me.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 11-03-2005).]

#148719 - 11/04/05 01:00 AM Re: Need opinions on software
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
I have downloaded the demo of OMB, but I found it troublesome having to press F1, F2 and so on to get to the different variations, and on my 61 Key keyboard, setting the lower octave for such things is out of the question.

Last, but not least, I find my fingers flying to the buttons of the Casio's variation buttons instead of the computer keyboard's function keys. Old habits never die....

So, regarding the "I can't adapt well to the way OMB changes styles etc" thing, has anyone here tried those little separate numeric keypads for laptops? These things could easily sit on an arranger or master keyboard and provide a number of keys easily accessible and on a "natural" place (above the left hand). Has anyone tried to use such a thing (ie configure OMB to trigger variations when you press the keys in this keypad).????
There are many types, mostly USB ones, older ones had a Y connector for the "real" keyboard
example:
http://www.goelectronic.com/Merchant2/me...ode=6+KEYS-MICE

This may or may not be a solution.

#148720 - 11/04/05 02:27 AM Re: Need opinions on software
Bluezplayer Offline

I use my Motif ES Trident and it's a breeze for me. My mod wheel does my fills, and my assignable knobs do my variation changes and intros / endings. I probably wouldn't even consider using OMB live if I had to use a qwerty kb or Pf functions to control it.

AJ

#148721 - 11/04/05 01:23 PM Re: Need opinions on software

AJ, I don't know about you but for a GM Wavetable not to accept program changes seems to deminish its value. This is an issue with many of them. I guess you can always use the sounds for other purposes.

Thanks for your information on this.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online