SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#14814 - 01/08/01 11:34 AM Please, help in our decision
Adnan Offline

Loc: Sarajevo, BiH
Hi! My good friend just sold his Technics KN800, at least (used many years - very succesful!). Now he's planning to buy some brand new arranger keyboard. Because he want to have a good piano feel also, he would buy GEM SK880. Can somebody give as some advice about this great machine?...

1) Does the Operating System of the SK880 placed in Flash-ROM, so upgradable via Floppy Disk?

2) Was there some different editions of SK880, with hardware differences? We read that SK880 now have much more of Sample ROM. Does it mean that there are two or more versions (with some different in Serial No.), like Kurzweils K2500 made by YoungChang ('Z' in Serial) and earlies Kurzs, for example? If it's true, how we can recognize the newer stuff (by Serial number or something)?

3) We have very impressed with sample compatibility (w/ Akai, Kurz, WAV). Are the styles compatible with some other brands in that way (e.g. Roland, Yamaha, Korg...)?

4) Does the Hard Disk included in SK880 by standard, or as option? What about Vocalist?

5) What's current price of the SK880 in Europe?

Thanks in advance

#14815 - 01/09/01 12:52 PM Re: Please, help in our decision
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Hello,

1) Yes, it is placed in FLASH and thus, it is upgradable.

2)There was SK88 and SK880. That's all I know. I have never heard of different hardware versions for the same SK880.

3)The answer for this is NO not NOW. However, they are working on them. So maybe in a year or less, you will get support for other manufactureres. But do not quote me on this.

4) They are options. Basically, for the harddrive, you can get SK880PS which includes the harddrive. The vocalist is sold separately and you have to either install it yourself or let your dealer do it.

5) In Europe? I do not know. In the US, it is less than $2500 for the sk880ps.

My advice to you is try it before you buy it.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online