SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#148049 - 12/29/01 07:12 PM Winter Colds & Gigging !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I got two New Years Eve gigs coming up on Monday night. One early in the evening and the other later in the evening, so I get to ring in the new year twice. At the first venue (senior retirement center) they set their clocks ahead so everyone thinks it's 12 midnight even though it's 3 hours earlier. I then head off to my other gig and ring in 2002 all over again.

Now I just need to nurse what feels like a cold coming on I had looked forward to meeting EricB & TomTomSF today but because of the cold wet weather, decided I'd better stay home, keep warm and dry, and take plenty of vitamin C and echinecea.

New Years Eve is the 'most important' and highest paying gig of the year so I can't risk not sounding my very best. Thank God I've been lucky (so far) and never had to cancel a New Years gig yet, but there certainly have been a few near misses where I barely made it thru a gig with voice in tact. I'm curious how other gigging singers here handle this age old problem.

Happy 2002 to all,

Scott http://scottyee.com

PS: Eric & Tom - Hope you guys will share with us your arranger keyboard get together experience at Tom's place. I'm sure you both had a great time, with Claudia and Sunny as well. I'm really sorry I couldn't make it.

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 12-29-2001).]

#148050 - 12/29/01 08:28 PM Re: Winter Colds & Gigging !
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Seems as if every N.Y.'s Eve I have a cold. And I feel one coming on now. Like you, maybe I can ward it off.
My wife has been very sick, and to make matters much worse, the druggist filled her prescription with the wrong medicine. She became REALLY sick then. Doctor said it would take a couple of days for it to get out of her system. She has slept almost all of the past two days.
The real irony is that the drug she got by accident, was the very same drug the doctor gave my mother by mistake a few weeks ago.
They live in different states, have different doctors and of course different drug stores.
We're waiting for Eckerd's to respond. They had best be very nice.
DonM

#148051 - 12/29/01 09:36 PM Re: Winter Colds & Gigging !
Anonymous
Unregistered

Scott...
I am completely neurotic about sore throats. I have played sick many times...but a sore throat is a killer for me. The one saving grace is that I often use a girl singer and can load her up with the vocals when necessary. In the last 12 years, I think I have missed only 3 gigs... and that was all due to 1 bout with the flu where I couldn't even get out of bed.

We all have our routines for avoiding sickness... and I find Halls Losenges soothing to my throat on the gigs. Other than that, just regular vitamins and the annual Flu shot.

Hope you stay well and have a great gig.

#148052 - 12/30/01 12:18 AM Re: Winter Colds & Gigging !
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Tonight I got the hiccups during my last set! What a drag - I NEVER get them. I was drinking a lot of Iced Tea, and I guess I overloaded.
I too, have been lucky with my health over the years, but to be honest - I baby my voice - No hockey games, no shouting at my kids, no alcohol, no smoking .... I really try to sing as painless as possible and I MAKE sure I have the best vocal monitor situation IN MY FACE at all times. This is why I still have my hearing. Most of my friends that listen to the main systems are all deaf, or at least GOING deaf in the high range - My hearing is still perfect, and I never get headaches after a job. No ringing .... just stinky clothes from the smoke. (YUK) I envy you Scott - (living in a smoke free state!)
As far as vocal maintenance - I like Halls too, and hot tea with lemon. I avoid all milk products on days that I sing because I get phlegm.
( pretty thought, huh? )

Here's some good advice for singers that may contradict what you have been taught-

1) NEVER, NEVER, EVER whisper if your throat is sore. This is far more damaging than regular speech. Don't do it. If you are THAT sore - write notes, or learn sign language. Trust me on this ... it's bad, REAL bad.

2) Don't sing in lower keys all night. Low notes require more movement from the vocal cords, and thereby produce more friction. Lowering a few tough keys is OK, but don't just hit the transpose and start running. You will introduce MORE fatigue by singing lower as the night goes on. Instead - just turn the mic up, add some brightness and sing SOFTER.

Go away from the music on the breaks too - talking is MUCH more demanding on your throat than singing is. (at least singing correctly)
Lastly - get vocal rest whenever you can. TOTAL silence is the best medicine there is.
It's hard to do, but just SHUT YOUR MOUTH.
( I mean that in a nice way )
....and stay away from those "numbing" sprays - they don't help anything. They just take the feeling away so you can push harder and hurt yourself MORE without knowing it.

Vocal health is directly related to your general physical health - you need rest, lubrication, nourishment and exercise. Take good care of your most important instrument (your voice) - you can't get a replacement!

#148053 - 12/30/01 09:01 AM Re: Winter Colds & Gigging !
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
SOUND - LEVELS ??
Being connected in the Hi-Fi & Microphone business for most of my working life, I am interested to know how all you professional players decide what is a suitable acceptable sound level on the location gigs you all do?.
One way whilst setting up is to let the keyboard play a demo whilst you walk round the room?.
Having the monitors to the side but in front can give a false impression as the room starts to fill up and sound gets absorbed by people.
But having the sound system monitors behind sometime encourages feedback from the mic?.

Graham UK

#148054 - 12/30/01 10:08 AM Re: Winter Colds & Gigging !
Anonymous
Unregistered

A small room, house party, nursing home is no problem when it comes to judging volume. But the bigger halls are a different story. I use a floor monitor, but realize that I am not necessarily hearing the same thing as the audience. I watch them to see if they are flinching from too much volume. I also listen to anyone who comes up to me with a comment, such as, "We can't hear you", "It's too tinny (or bassy)", "you are killing my ears"....etc.

Sometimes corrections are as simple as tweaking the EQ or turning a speaker a little. A couple of years ago, after tiring of complaints from people sitting in the path of the speakers, I started repositioning them at an upward angle of about 30 degrees. What a difference. The complaints almost disapeared. The sound gets a little more difused, but no one gets hurt.

#148055 - 12/30/01 11:49 AM Re: Winter Colds & Gigging !
Uncle Dave Offline

FOH (front of house)levels are difficult to judge from stage, so if you can't have the luxury of a sound engineer, you need to let some kind of "demo" program play while you go out and listen to the mains.
In most smaller situations, a reasonable level can be mixed from stage, but it really is VERY important that the sound ON stage is acceptable to the performer first. You NEED to hear the product you are trying to "sell" or else you won't be able to perform it to the fullest.
Most of my work is not in larger venues, but when it is - i am usually in front of the main, so I hear the full mix that way... as well as my vocal monitor.
Another rule of thumb, for me is this -
I always make the crowd tell me to turn it UP before they tell me to turn it down. Psychologically - it makes a better first impression. Makes me the hero early on.
Must run.....it's almost time for the SUPERBOWL (at least to NY & Philly fans !!!)
Hey DanO - tough loss yesterday ..... hope your Ravens beat up those Bucks a little so they're tired next week!

#148056 - 12/30/01 11:40 AM Re: Winter Colds & Gigging !
Uncle Dave Offline

E !

#148057 - 12/30/01 11:41 AM Re: Winter Colds & Gigging !
Uncle Dave Offline

A !

#148058 - 12/30/01 11:42 AM Re: Winter Colds & Gigging !
Uncle Dave Offline

G !

#148059 - 12/30/01 11:43 AM Re: Winter Colds & Gigging !
Uncle Dave Offline

L !

#148060 - 12/30/01 11:44 AM Re: Winter Colds & Gigging !
Uncle Dave Offline

E !

#148061 - 12/30/01 11:45 AM Re: Winter Colds & Gigging !
Uncle Dave Offline

S !

#148062 - 12/30/01 11:46 AM Re: Winter Colds & Gigging !
Uncle Dave Offline

EAGLES !!!!!!!! NFC EAST Champs !

...finally ! (what a nail biter !)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online