SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#147845 - 06/17/02 11:54 AM TALENT vs BELLS & WHISTLES
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
BeBop ... you suggested this in another thread, so here goes. ... Does the instrument make the talent or the talent make the instrument??? ... gotta be a combination of both ... I've had some people say "all you have to do is turn it on a press a button" ... so I invite them to "turn it on a press a button" ... you know the rest ... personally, with no formal piano training, and no music theory classes etc. I know my limitations as a 'player', ... and an instrument like my kn6000, with all its bells and whistles makes me sound BETTER than what I am ... While I'm sure I would not be able to make Scott's Steinway sound too good, I am quite comfortable behind my kn ... and those individuals fortunate enough to have a ton of talent, a good arranger kb, AND the ability to make FULL use of all the bells and whistles are going to sound GREAT!!! ... so, I take my kn6, add my somewhat better than passable vocals, and entertain people, and as long as they keep asking me back, I'll keep going ...
t.

#147846 - 06/17/02 12:06 PM Re: TALENT vs BELLS & WHISTLES
Dnj Online   content

You can't buy whats inside you!!

Dnj

#147847 - 06/17/02 12:19 PM Re: TALENT vs BELLS & WHISTLES
Leon Offline

Loc: British Columbia
Tony mads:
Interesting topic. I suppose you could look at it a few different ways.
If your using poor quality equipment or unfriendly equipment, call
it what you want, you're gonna be constantly fighting that.
I've played guitar now over 35 years, and I can remember going
from my first and second axes, (cheap crap that could barely be tuned
let alone keep tune) to a full blown US built Strat. The difference was
obviously like night and day, in both performance & confidence.
I'm currently using a T3 in conjunction with an SP100, and an
assortment of guitars, acoustic & electric.
Granted, the keys aren't top of the line, but it's friendly, sounds great, and does the job for me.
I believe the better quality units will bring out the best in any player, so
long as they continue to be a player. Yes..I use sequencing in my solo gigs,
but it's limited to percussion & bass while accompanying live on either the
T3, the SP100, or one of my guitars, while doing vocals..so I gotta say you're
right, talent / ability has to be a major factor. Like you, I keep getting asked back
and I'm gigging steady in a small circuit of bars and pubs...So I must be doing
something right. I don't pay a whole lot of attention to critics, when an audience
is applauding. If it's constructive critcism, then it might be helpful, other than that
it's just jealousy, so pay it the minimal attention it deserves.
http://sh-boom.freehomepage.com/index.html

#147848 - 06/18/02 02:29 AM Re: TALENT vs BELLS & WHISTLES
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
critics...

If someone says "you were rubbish" I'll happily ignore them.

If someone says "you were rubbish because...." I'll buy them a drink and listen!

#147849 - 06/18/02 03:17 AM Re: TALENT vs BELLS & WHISTLES
Mosiqaar Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA
better equipment will make you sound better, but if you don't have the talent, you won't sound good no matter what equipment you use. So in summary its a mix of both.

My two cents (with the cents we throw out here, we get poorer every day )

#147850 - 06/18/02 05:12 AM Re: TALENT vs BELLS & WHISTLES
technicsplayer Offline

a theory:
the talented player overcomes all obstacles and sounds good whatever they play, it does not matter (Buddy Hollys drummer playing a cardboard box!) Naturally they must have an opinion on what suits them best of all.

an amateur needs all the help they can get, here its even maybe more critical to have the right gear? Amateurs can play the general arrangers, but choose the one that most makes them sound like the talented players...

so when does the amateur become talented?

when he is independant of his gear???

getting too deep now... my brain is shrinking... quick nurse! more music ( http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/003820.html )

#147851 - 06/18/02 05:29 AM Re: TALENT vs BELLS & WHISTLES
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
In my case I am totally self taught to read and play from music. Being now retired I spend hours every day on the Roland EM2000 & 9000Pro.
If it had not been for the Bells & Whistles then I would never have started playing in the first place at all. I would not have put up with all though scales and things.
Although saying that, my music has become an obsession to the point that I am now reading more music theory and scales and things.
In my case its a positive case of the board making me sound a better player than I am......but its all a great thrill to sit and play the music you enjoy and also sounding reasonable to boot.

Graham UK

#147852 - 06/18/02 05:49 AM Re: TALENT vs BELLS & WHISTLES
Stevizard Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN, USA
Money can't buy everything but it can provide a level of discomfort that I can live with.

#147853 - 06/18/02 07:33 AM Re: TALENT vs BELLS & WHISTLES
Newbie2 Offline

itook trumpet in school but i play keyboard by ear. I am new hereand I have ensoniq ts10 and other s tuff. I lreaned to play by watching others get rad sounds from keyboards like yammaha and roland and they make money at local raves doing dance and rap. Cool sounds are wat drives the need to playI woudnt be good at piano but I like piano ok but electronic instrments are where the money is noiw. Iwant to make records and learn all Ican

jj(newbiew)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online