SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#147714 - 11/13/00 06:49 PM Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Dnj Offline

I still use a Shure SM58, but I'm thinking of getting a Sennheiser E855 Professional Vocal Mic very soon, or?.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 11-13-2000).]

#147715 - 11/13/00 07:42 PM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
JCkeeys Offline

Loc: St. James,New York,USA
What Mic?
I've always used Shure. Had a SM58 and now a Beta58. Always reliable and sound great

#147716 - 11/13/00 08:22 PM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Donny,
There are several things to consider.
The output of the mic--how hot the signal is.
The off-axis noise rejection. I prefer supercardiod, but at least cardiod.
How YOUR voice sounds on the mic.
Price.

Most of the time I use a Shure Beta87 condenser mic. It requires phantom power, but it records very well in addition to being great-sounding on stage. I find I need to add very little e.q. to it.
I also have a Shure Betagreen condenser mic that costs less than half, but sounds almost as good.
I keep a Peavey PVM 22 mic in case I ever want to plug directly into the keyboard. (It doesn't need phantom power.) I also use it and Shure SM58 for guest vocalists. I don't want them spitting in my expensive mics!
Be careful trying to change. Most people spend a of time trying to get their new mic to sound like their old mic did.
I tried a Senn. once and didn't like it. I used to use EV condenser mics all the time and I liked them a lot too.
I think most of the mics now are good, but the only way to see which one suits your voice is to try 'em. As I recall from your tape of a couple of years ago, your voice doesn't need a lot of help. If it ain't broke . . .
DonM

[This message has been edited by DonM (edited 11-13-2000).]

#147717 - 11/13/00 08:28 PM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Vocal Mics are such an invidual and personal thing (like choosing underwear). All brands/models of Mics react to people's voices in very different ways. What may enhance the quality of one person's voice may bring out the worst qualites of another person.

Granted, the Shure SM58 has been the accepted mic standard for many years but I found it a little brittle and harsh in the midrange for "my voice". I purchased an ElectroVoice EV767N/D nearly ten years ago and it continues to be my #1 favorite "live performance" mic (for Pop/Jazz style vocals) because of it's HOT signal "warm sound" & smooth response (great for ballads), and its' 100% reliability (hasn't failed me in ten years). I have spent hours auditioning other stage mics but keep coming back to the trusty EV757. I even took home the Sennheiser E855 (my other fav stage mic so far) for a spin (in hopes of looking for yet another mic which might be better than the EV757), but after trying it for a week, returned it. I found the Sennheiser E855 to be an excellent sounding mic but I guess I somehow prefered the "warmer" sound of the EV757 (though some people might find it too much so).

The bottom line: There is no "one right or best" sounding vocal stage mic out there. Every mic is designed differently and will sound slightly different depending on both the indiviual timbre of your voice, your vocal range and style of music you perform. Take your time to audition all available and decide on one which will enhance your unique voice best. Hmmm, I think I'll go back and give that Sennheiser E855 another audition again.

Make Music and make people happy,

Scott

#147718 - 11/13/00 08:54 PM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Dnj Offline

Thanx Dave,
I'll check it out. It sure sounded good when I caught your show last month I appreciate your advice. Now I'm really confused :>)

#147719 - 11/13/00 09:07 PM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Dnj Offline

hi Don,
Thanx for the great reply. Being a baritone I need a HOt mic, I also have a bad habbit of backing off the mic at times when I sing to eleviate too much bass and vocal saturation. I enjoy the SM58 but I tried a Senn E855 Sunday that a friend uses and liked it. I'd like to try the EV767 this week too before I buy a new one. After the holidays I'll try to put together another demo using the X1, I will surley send you a copy ok?

donny nj

#147720 - 11/13/00 09:13 PM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Dnj Offline

Thanx Scott,

Now I know I have to try the Ev 767 also.
What do you think is better for my Baritone voice?

I also wish we could post pics and wavs on this forum so we could see and hear each other too :>)

Donny

#147721 - 11/14/00 12:17 AM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
DonM Offline

Donny,
Just turn on the compressor/limiter on your PSR9000 and you don't have to worry so much about losing response--OH that's right, you have one of those ol' X1's don't you.
(:>) Just kidding. Be sure and send me a demo when you make one. I've been working on one myself, but not satisfied with it yet.
It's interesting you brought up this string, because I've been experimenting with mics myself lately. Haven't found anything I like better than what I have. It's a never-ending quest to sound as good as we can, isn't it?
DonM

#147722 - 11/14/00 12:21 AM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
DonM Offline

Uncle Dave, is there any difference in the sound of the wired vs unwired models? I've never experimented with wireless, mainly because too many people already think I'm not really playing. If I stand up and leave the keyboard, they'll think everything I do is "recorded".
Do you use the wireless just when you're with the combo, or do you also use it as a single?
DonM

#147723 - 11/14/00 06:58 AM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Dnj Offline

Hahaha Don,

Very Funny :>) I only sing thru the keyboard on small gigs, otherwise I go thru the Mixer and SFX unit for more control. Can't wait to hear your new demo with the 9000. We should ALL share demos asap, Scott? Dave? :>)

#147724 - 11/14/00 07:02 AM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Dnj Offline

Dave and all,
It would be interesting to hear about how everyone "EQ's" a room (sound check) for vocals being every night is a different room for me anyway.

Donny

#147725 - 11/14/00 10:18 AM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
What microphone depends on the following:

1) live performance or studio recording

2) male/female vocal

3) type of music.

4) condenser mics require phantom power (48V)

5) How much you want to spend?

Can you describe in detail....

What and where and how are you recording the vocals? Are you using a mixer with built in phantom power?

Finally, whatever you choose, make sure you go to a music place that allows you to try them before buying them. That is the most important advice I insist on.

#147726 - 11/14/00 02:19 PM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Dnj Offline

hi SK880,

Great advice and yes I do try all my equipment in the store at FULL VOLUME before I buy anything. You should have seen the other customers faces when I hooked up the keyboard with the Mackie Sound system and ripped a big band tune in the store at full volume :>)
donny

#147727 - 11/14/00 07:57 PM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Dnj Offline

Best site to buy Mics.
http://www.fullcompass.com/lit/s_micro.htm

great prices eg: EV 767 n/d $119.00

have fun :>)

donny

#147728 - 11/15/00 10:04 AM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Dnj Offline

ell after all the reviews and alcolaids from Scott, Uncle Dave, and others I'm Totaly Confused :>)Scott how about sending me a demo :>)

donny

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 11-15-2000).]

#147729 - 11/15/00 12:32 PM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Scottyee Offline

Hi Donny,

Like I said before, I can't stress enough that choosing a microphone is a highly 'personal' and subjective thing.

Even though my "personal" favorite is the EV, I highly recommend that you go out and audition the EV mic and compare it with the other mic options before making the best mic decision for 'your' voice and vocal style. Be sure to perform your mic comparison test without any efx or EQ added.

Good luck and let us know what you finally decide.

Scott

#147730 - 11/18/00 02:33 PM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Marc Bischoff Offline

Loc: Rotterdam, NL
Why does nobody mention the shure 87 beta???? The best and most use mic by pros. Look at pictures of ANY singers of ANY music genre. But your are right, mic are definatly a personal choice. I like that one...

Just my 2ct...

#147731 - 11/19/00 12:46 AM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
DonM Offline

Just go up a few messages, the Beta 87 is what I use most of the time. I've never found anything yet that sounds better.
DonM

#147732 - 11/19/00 06:23 AM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Dnj Offline

Hi Don,
After 10 years of being a satisfied SM58 user, I have decided to try an ElectroVoice EV767N/D. I'll try it for a week and hear how it performs on stage and cuts thru the mix. If not, I will try the Sennheisure 855 next, followed by the Shure 58 Beta. "Let the Games Begin:>)"

Donny

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 11-19-2000).]

#147733 - 11/21/00 07:05 AM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi, guys!
I'm a new user on the net. I perform at 747
club in Arlington, Texas (USA). I use Shure
87 beta and EV767. No other MICS can beat the
EV767. Thanks to Uncle Dave.

#147734 - 11/21/00 07:25 AM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Dnj Offline

Can you elaborate a little on why you like the EV 767n/d so much. I have one on the way to me.

Donny

#147735 - 11/22/00 12:15 AM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Scottyee Offline

Donny:
More EV767 elaboration: a big reason that I have stayed with the EV767 mic is because it has the 'hottest signal' in a "non-phantom powered" dynamic mic. I especially like to use it when plugging it directly into my KN5000's mic input as the "mic gain" (entertainer section) on the Kn5000 doesn't need to be turned up as much as when plugging other brand mics directly into the KN5000. This results in much cleaner sounding vocals. The EV767 mic seems to "enhance" the voice, giving it a rich velvety smooth sound. I also like it because I don't have a tendency to pop consonants very easily on it. As a road worthy (subject to being dropped/banged) performance mic it really delivers.

For a most accurate sounding (non-colored) studio recording mic, and a fantastic performance mic as well, I recommend the AKG C-3000B large diaphram condenser mic ($299 street price). It's the closest thing to the legendary AKG 414 Condenser mic ($800 street price). I use this for special occasion performances but not for daily gig use as it is not as rugged as the EV767. Anxious to hear your feedback and comments regarding the EV767 (after you get a chance to audition it).
-Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 11-22-2000).]

#147736 - 11/22/00 07:10 AM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Dnj Offline

Scott,

Thanks for the review on the E767n/d. I will definitly give my opinion afetr I put this baby thru it's paces in the next few weeks on stage vs the Shure SM58. So far it sounds like a winner.

Donny

#147737 - 11/22/00 08:00 PM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Hello Donny,
I recommend Audix for a microphone. I have been using a AUDIX OM3 for about 10 months now. If you have not tried Audix...Then all I can say is............Try one ! Dan O.

#147738 - 11/23/00 12:53 AM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Dnj Offline

Hi Dan,
good to see your back online. I will look into the Audix OM3 also. There are so many good Mics out there, I guess trying them on stage is the best way to find out whats best for me.

Donny

#147739 - 11/23/00 03:12 PM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Dnj Offline

Hello Friends,

Well I did a small 1 hour Concert Show on Turkey day at and I got a chance to use My New EV767 n/d and I'll tell ya that I was super satisfied with it's performance for sure! The Gain is nothing less then Superb and the Resilliance was Electrifying just like Uncle Dave and Scott Yee said it would be. My voice sounded Super Crisp and I love the feel of the oblong ball against my lips vs the round ball of the Shure SM58 of which I'm so used to. Backing off a few inches singing produced a great response also. I wanna thank everyone for the help in choosing this Great piece of vocal equipment. Getting it at a Super Fantastic price of $119.00 on a closeout sale at www.fullcompass.com was nice also. I'm sure there are many other great Mics out there like the Sennheisure 855 and Audix OM3 but this time around I can say I'm happy with my choice.

L8tr,

Donny NJ

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 11-23-2000).]

#147740 - 11/25/00 01:51 AM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Beakybird Offline

I make my living performing in nursing homes, retirement homes, and schools. My performances are up to 1 hour long. I do from 1 to 4 performances per day. I plug a Radioshack headset mic into my PSR 740. I like a headset because I can look any direction I want, and even fumble for buttons and always have the mic next to my mouth. I like the Radioshack headset because it comes with a very tiny watch battery mic preamp so the signal is very hot. The two headset mics I tried from Guitar Center weren't loud enough even with my keyboard mic knob turned up all the way - and I definitely don't want to mess with an outboard preamp. Also, for a nominal price, I get a three year warranty. I own two such mics, and every 6 months, I have to get one repaired. I'm glad it's free and hassle free. I would love to use a headset wireless mic, but since I like to minimize setup time, it is impractical.

#147741 - 11/25/00 10:28 AM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
B-bird,
Which specific model # from Radio Shack are you using? How much do they sell for? I'm guessing it's pretty inexpensive? Does it have a 1/4 phone plug on it? Sounds like it might be fun to fool around with at home (no need for mic boom, cables, etc.)
Tom

#147742 - 11/25/00 04:17 PM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
DonM Offline

TomTom,I just looked at Radio Shack website. They only show one, and it is on sale for $39.95, regularly 49.95.
Here's the address: http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F002%5F003%5F005%5F000&Page=1
DonM

#147743 - 11/26/00 12:30 AM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
DonM Offline

When I looked at the specs, that ended any interest I may have had. 100Hz - 12kHz
DonM

#147744 - 11/26/00 08:28 AM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Scottyee Offline

I concur with DanO1 that the Audix OM3 is one fantastic mic. I recently auditioned it and found it to be one of the most natural and accurate(unhyped)sounding mics out there. Only problem for me (personally) is that it's signal strength is not nearly as "hot" as the EV767, which is needed for plugging directly into my keyboard (KN5000) without requiring turning up the keyboard's mic gain much, which increases the potential of added noise.

- Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 11-26-2000).]

#147745 - 11/29/00 07:20 PM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Beakybird Offline

I don't know the model # for the mic I use. I'd have to search around the house. I do know that it costs $49 and is sold at pretty much every radioshack that I've seen. It does have a 1/4 " plug - actually, I think it comes with a 1/4" adapter covering an 1/8" plug. I'm pretty happy with it, I bought a $120 Technics headset mic at Guitar Center, but it didn't deliver a strong enough signal. I didn't want to deal with a mic preamp. I thought keep it simple so I decided to stick with the Radioshack mic. I have never had anyone complain about the quality of the vocals, to the contrary, I get a lot of compliments on my voice. For me, the advantage of having the mic always right next to my mouth, and being able to look at everyone in the audience while I sing plus never having to deal with a boom - these beat the one advantage of the professional mics which is improved fidelity. But heck, my head isn't a slave to a 2 inch radius, and I think I'm a lot better performer because of it.

#147746 - 11/29/00 08:10 PM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Hi Guys,
my wife and I have been using Shure SM58 for
a while with our PSR-8000. We plug it first through a Mackie mixer than the keyboard.
A friend of mine told me recently to try out
the AKG 1000C wich he has used in studio recordings with good results.
We tried it and liked it right away. More clarity, better frequency response, more power etc.
Try it out and see if you like it.
Have fun,
Eric

#147747 - 12/06/00 12:50 PM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Leon Offline

Loc: British Columbia
I'm writing this slow 'cos I know most of you can't read fast.
For gigs I use the Shure Beta 58. I've found it's got plenty of punch, at least for the classic rock we do.
For recording in my studio, I've got a 10 year old EV 457 that still delivers great bottom end. I've tried double miking, with both the 58 and the 457 in the studio for some really interesting results.
I'm gone.....

#147748 - 12/06/00 05:59 PM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Don,

The average human voice will never go below 100Hz or ever remotely get close to 12,000 Hz, no matter how tight your jocky shorts are. Why would the response of that microphone bother you?

Tom

P.S. I ordered the EV767. Music123.com has it for $109.00.

Tom

#147749 - 12/06/00 11:20 PM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
DonM Offline

Yeah Tom, Uncle Dave explained it pretty well. Besides I never said I had an average voice!
Seriously, mics with higher specs sound better. And cost more, usually. I'm spoiled to the phantom-powered condenser mics. So far I haven't found any non-powered mics that I like as well for my voice.
DonM

#147750 - 08/23/05 05:50 AM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Dnj Offline

Is everyone still using the same Mics we discused years ago .....or have moved on to something else???? Ive been using a Shure Beta 58 but I must say Im getting bord with it and I'm on the lookout for something new! Suggestions?

#147751 - 08/23/05 06:32 AM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
doc-z Offline

Loc: Norway
I used to use a SM58, but I tossed it after an idiot put it into a pint of beer. (A whole this is not a Karaokebar, but a pianobar thing...)

So I replaced it with an AudioTechnica AE6100, which I really love! I never go anywhere without it.

But I keep some backups.... just in case some idiot decides to make a beer/mic cocktail again. So I purchased six Nady SP-5 mics. And I must say, I was real supprised how good this 19$ mic sounds! It comes real close to my old SM58, a little more level on the SM58 than the Nady, but I get less feedback problems with the Nady than I had with the Shure.

But overall I really like my AudioTechnica best.

I also own a Electro Voice EV-100, which is also an OK mic.

In my studio I use a large membrane mic from Rode. That one kicks ass!! but I would never gig with that mic.

Doc-Z

#147752 - 08/23/05 06:51 AM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Dnj ... I've been reading this post and thinking Scott and others have submitted or given access to LOTS of demos, etc. What the heck is Donny talking about, and THEN my eyes catch the dates !!! ...
Donny ... how did you dig this up?!?!?

I have been using the Senn 845 and my wife thinks it gives a nice tone to my Baritone voice ... and THAT'S who matters ...
t.

#147753 - 08/23/05 07:04 AM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
HankB Offline

Loc: Bossier City, La. USA
My mic of choice is the EV 967. This is by far the best mic I have ever used.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=live/search/detail/base_pid/270055/

Hank

#147754 - 08/23/05 07:05 AM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
DonM Offline

Most of the time now, I use a Sennheiser 855. It seems to work well with my Ketron SD1. I also have SM58, SM87, three Behringers, a couple of Samsons, a cordless AT, etc.
I use the cheap ones for guests, but they are suprisingly good now.
DonM

#147755 - 08/23/05 07:10 AM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Dnj Offline

Got rid of my Senn 855....Im using a Beta 58 but Im getting bored with it.....might try the EV767 again its a real hot signal mic.

#147756 - 08/23/05 08:05 AM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Use a Shure beta 87c condenser with the voiceworks and a beta 57 for plugging directly into the keyboard.

#147757 - 08/23/05 09:07 AM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Got rid of my Senn 855....Im using a Beta 58 but Im getting bored with it.....might try the EV767 again its a real hot signal mic.

Donny: Curious WHY you got rid of the Sennheiser 855. Was there something in particular about its sound that no longer satisfied you, or were you just bored & looking for a change?

Interestingly enough, I've been still (after all these years ) considering a Sennheiser 855 (primarily because of Donny's past recommendation), a Shure Beta 87, or an Audix OM5 for my next stage mic.

I'm especially interested in the Audix OM5 as I've heard its one of the most 'natural sounding' (unhyped) acoustic vocal mics out there. Anyone here have experience with the Audix OM5 or Audix mics in general, or the others mics I listed (Shure Beta 87, Sennheiser 855) plugged DIRECTLY into a Yamaha Tyros or PSR3000 keyboard's mic input jack, and driving the keyboard's onboard vocal harmonizer? Realizing the mic's signal output strength contributes to the harmonizer production sound quality, curious how these mics compare (in this regard) with the hot signal output of the EV 767.

That said, Believe it or not, I'm STILL performing with my 15 year old Electro-Voice EV767. It's like that old energizer bunny, it keeps going and going, delivering satisfying vocals.

Year after year, I keep saying it's time to purchase another mic, but nothing yet has peeked my interest enough to switch. In addition to appreciating its high output signal & smooth vocal reproduction, my EV mic includes: a patented 'soft' grip handle of which includes a slighter wider diameter neck than standard, making for terrific hand held mic comfort & feel, and handy bass roll-off switch. To top it off, this mic is durable, surviving countless drops on stage. My ONLY disappointment is that it doesn't include a 'built-in' on/off switch.

Perhaps I too am merely feeling itchy (after 15 years) for something new in the mic dept. - Scott

#147758 - 08/23/05 09:45 AM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Shure 58's, an Audio Technica (don't know the model) and a free Carvin I got with a sound system order( normally, $49.95)....it's probably me, but I can't tell much difference. I use the first one out of the bag...

Russ

#147759 - 08/23/05 09:48 AM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
I use the Shure Beta 87a. Of course, Mic's are a personal preference according to one's personal needs and voice characteristics.

I would gather as much info as you can from PRO review sites, User reviews, and also technical spec sheets from various manufacturers. If you can demo them do so.

Most retailers will NOT refund your money after you purchase the Mic. It has to do with health issues and they are not allowed/suppose to take back and or try and resale a Mic that has been used.

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 08-23-2005).]

#147760 - 08/23/05 09:54 AM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Donny, you would sound great using a megaphone. I'm still using my EV-767 that I purchased on U.D.'s advice. I agree with Scott, it's a great mic.

Tom

Tom

#147761 - 08/23/05 10:19 AM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:

I'm especially interested in the Audix OM5 as I've heard its one of the most 'natural sounding' (unhyped) acoustic vocal mics out there. Anyone here have experience with the Audix OM5?

Yep, Scott. OM5 is what I've been using lately and I reported as such regarding "Paging Mr. Page" and I said just that in the thread I had for it on this forum. After someone wanted to know what mic I was using on those recordings.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#147762 - 08/23/05 10:32 AM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
EV 767 seems to do "good things" to my somewhat marginal voice.

#147763 - 08/23/05 10:33 AM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Hi Donny,

I used an SM 58 for 35 years until recently. I do Wednesday nights at the top of the Hyatt Regency here in Baltimore. One of the other guys that also plays the room was in one night from another gig and he had a Neumann KMS 105 with him. During the break he asked me if I wanted to try it out and I did. Wow, what a difference. I have a project studio and I've always been a Neumann fan for studio use, but I'd never considered using one live. Well, 2 days after that night I had one and I'm very happy with it. It gives you the transients that you just don't get with the 58. I'm not familiar with the Sennheiser that you'r looking at, but they are a great studio mic as well. We've all upgraded our other equipment over the years, I guess it's time we did the same with our mics. Good luck with your choice. And also, thanks for the info on the Thursday night gig.

Joe

------------------
Songman55
www.joeayala.com

#147764 - 08/23/05 11:59 AM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Dnj Offline

I have used the SENN 855 for years & on all my demo songs on my website www.donnypesce.com
.....for the last 6 months Ive been using a Shure Beta 58....live on stage, its ok but not GREAT!!! Before the SENN I used an EV 767 which had a very hot signal....each mic is different for each individuals voice paremeters and dynamics for THAT PERSON ONLY combined with the sound system used & EQ adjustments.....I just ant to get a concenses of the masses.
I'll keep searching.

#147765 - 08/23/05 12:24 PM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Shade of pale Offline

Loc: Allen, TX, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeffkeo:
Hi, guys!

Jeff, my name is Tye, I'm in Dallas, I didn't know that 747 is still in operation.
I will catch you sometimes, I have many Laotian friends.

SD9, Audya5, Genos, Roland XP60, 2 Yamaha DSR12, 2 Yamaha Sub, 2 Turbosound 2000

#147766 - 08/23/05 12:39 PM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
DonM Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Shade of pale:
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeffkeo:
[b]Hi, guys!

Jeff, my name is Tye, I'm in Dallas, I didn't know that 747 is still in operation.
I will catch you sometimes, I have many Laotian friends. [/B]

Tye, the first part of this thread, including that post, is about five years old. The 747 may well be out of business by now!
If you get to Shreveport, look me up!
DonM www.donmasonmusic.com

#147767 - 08/24/05 10:51 AM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Shade of pale Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:

Tye, the first part of this thread, including that post, is about five years old. The 747 may well be out of business by now!

Thanks Don for pointing it out, silly me.

SD9, Audya5, Genos, Roland XP60, 2 Yamaha DSR12, 2 Yamaha Sub, 2 Turbosound 2000

#147768 - 08/24/05 10:58 AM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The Samson Q7 is an incredible mic, excellent frequency response, crisp, clear vocals, very high resistance to feedback, and it is very inexpensive. I like it much better than my $299 Sennheiser E-855 and was astonished to find it sold for just $79 on some Internet sites.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#147769 - 08/24/05 01:53 PM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Shade of pale Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:

Don, I'm not that far from you, if my weekend schedule clear up, don't be surprise that I drop in, I really want to see other arranger players in action, that would be fun, thanks for the invitation.

#147770 - 08/24/05 02:00 PM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Tye,

If you get to hear Don live you will be hearing and seeing the ultimate master in action. He is truly at the top of his game. I highly recommend paying him a visit.

Tom

Tom

#147771 - 08/24/05 02:28 PM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Larry C. Cochran Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, Indiana usa
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tom Cavanaugh:
[B]Tye,

Hi there friends and fellow keyboard players. I just have a Crown 300 and I prefer headset mics for my conveinence while playing and moving about with eye contact to anyone on either side of me. I want to know what headset mics you people prefer? I know that Gary has a Crown 300. Thanks, I value you ideas and opinions.

Larry C.

#147772 - 08/24/05 03:46 PM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
travlin'easy Offline

Larry,

I'm using the Crown CM-311-A which does a great job.

The only time I use my Samson Q7 handheld is when I'm in the studio doing a quick recording and too lazy to unpack the crown.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

#147773 - 08/24/05 03:47 PM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
DonM Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Cavanaugh:
Tye,

If you get to hear Don live you will be hearing and seeing the ultimate master in action. He is truly at the top of his game. I highly recommend paying him a visit.

Tom

Aw Shucks, Tom, didn't know you cared!
Thanks. Call me when you sober up.
Seriously, I'd love to meet you Tye.
DonM

#147774 - 08/24/05 05:23 PM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Beakybird Offline

This post started 5 years ago, didn't it?

I've been using the Crowne CM-311A for the last 4 years, and I am so happy with it. Besides sounding great, I can do this:

1. Look at the buttons and display of my keyboard without taking my mouth off the mic.
2. Look at the audience everywhere in the room without taking my mouth off the mic.
3. Cough without being heard by pressing a button on the belt pack of the mic.

It is a great microphone for an arranger keyboard player. No boom necessary.

The only people that shy away from it are those who get really loud at the top of their range or really soft on the low notes. I think the CM311A has helped my singing because I have learned to sing throughout my range at approximately the same volume.

If you often worry about taking your mouth off the mic to look at your keyboard or people on the sides of the room, the CM311A should definitely be looked at.

Beakybird

#147775 - 08/24/05 06:40 PM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Larry C. Cochran Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, Indiana usa
Thanks guys. My Crown 300 is a CM311A also and I have no complaints about it but I am always looking for new and better equipment and it seems that there is nothing much better than the Crown CM311A but I was hoping to learn about a better one with less bulk and therefore less visable to the public. I enjoy mine, singing through the keyboard with an inline impedance matching transformer as it is a low impedance mic..
By the way I found mine in a guitar store, used for $125.00 and it seems to work fine and shows no sign of physical damage.
Larry C.

#147776 - 09/09/05 08:26 AM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Got rid of my Senn 855

Were you no longer happy with it, or?

Scott

#147777 - 09/09/05 09:33 AM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Dnj Offline

Scott I took back my 855 because I hated the beta 58 for my voice......

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 09-09-2005).]

#147778 - 09/09/05 04:26 PM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Dnj Offline

Scott.........If you want I will send you my Senn 855 to try to see if you like it.....if so I'll give ya a swetheart deal on it if you want to keep it .....if not no prob, send it back but at last you can say you tried it.

#147779 - 09/09/05 08:43 PM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
The Samson Q7 is an incredible mic, excellent frequency response, crisp, clear vocals, very high resistance to feedback

All the above is correct. On Gary's recommendation I purchased the Q7 primarily because of feedback problems I was having, but now well resolved... thanks, Gary.

Glenn

#147780 - 11/20/06 06:34 PM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Dnj Offline

Anyone using the EV N/D967 MIC?

I need a new Toy....
http://www.electrovoice.com/productfamilies/33.html

#147781 - 11/20/06 07:26 PM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
DonM Offline

Donny, HankB has one. Of course I tried it out. It sounds great to me, but not "greater" than most high-end mics. Depends on your voice, as you know.
I still haven't found anything I like as well as the Senn 855.
DonM

#147782 - 11/20/06 07:36 PM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Dnj Offline

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite/productdetail.asp?transid=004846

Don looks like they replacesd the E855 with the E865.......

I also enjoyed the E855.....for awhile...
but my trusty SM58 workhorse does the job for me so I keep returning to it.....I'd love to try that EV is hank selling it?

#147783 - 11/21/06 11:32 AM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
korg4god Offline

Loc: Dodge City, Kansas 67801
I've been using a Countryman E6 now for over a year..... love it...stays right with me while moving my head around, etc. It's also so light I don't even know I have it on a lot of the times.

Jeff

Dodge City Schools -USD 443
Forte Music School

http://forte.musicteachershelper.com

#147784 - 11/21/06 12:05 PM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
richard_shiflet Offline

Loc: Greenwood, SC -USA
I have tried most of the mics you guys have mentioned. The shure sm58 is very popular but not hot enough for my tastes it took a little more gain and loss of headroom for me. But on the road, I do see more of them than any other mic.

I've used the EV 267, EV 367(for my wife), and EV 767. I really liked the EV line, good rugged mics that travel very well and sound good.

I also have the Countryman E6. Jeff you're right its easy to forget it's even there. Its a joy to use and almost invisible. I even had people come up to me after a performance and ask, "How could I hear you so well when you didn't even have a microphone." LOL. And it is very easy to play with a headset on, no mic stand in your way.

But after we bought the rest of the vocals Sennheiser wireless mics, I tried one and found that I had more bottom-end and depth with these handheld than with my E-6 earset. So now I have 5 of the Sennheiser wireless EW 835 Mics in my rack. They work very well!

Richard

#147785 - 11/21/06 12:12 PM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Dnj Offline

Jeff nice head Mic for sure...unfortunately they just dont suit my style of singing...
I have tried a few like the Crown CM311a
http://www.crownaudio.com/pdf/mics/102546.pdf

etc etc and I just cant make it happen on stage for me...It just dont feel right on my head...I'm a power singer and use a handheld for 35+ years ....but thanx for the info and reply....

Happy Holidays!!

#147786 - 11/21/06 12:28 PM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
DonM Offline

Quote:
http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite/productdetail.asp?transid=004846

Don looks like they replacesd the E855 with the E865.......

I also enjoyed the E855.....for awhile...
but my trusty SM58 workhorse does the job for me so I keep returning to it.....I'd love to try that EV is hank selling it?

I don't know if it's for sale. Hank????
DonM

#147787 - 11/21/06 01:24 PM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
travlin'easy Offline

I'm always looking for a high-quality, headset mic that is more comfortable and less obvious. The Countryman E6 appears to have both those qualities, however, I noticed it is an omnidirectional mic on the spec sheet. Of those that use this mic, do you have any problems with feedback, or can this be offset by using one of the special caps to make the mic hypercardiod?

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

#147788 - 11/21/06 03:58 PM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
richard_shiflet Offline

Loc: Greenwood, SC -USA
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
I'm always looking for a high-quality, headset mic that is more comfortable and less obvious. The Countryman E6 appears to have both those qualities, however, I noticed it is an omnidirectional mic on the spec sheet. Of those that use this mic, do you have any problems with feedback, or can this be offset by using one of the special caps to make the mic hypercardiod?

Cheers,

Gary

Gary the Countryman E6 is made in two versions Omnidirectional or Directional.
The model I have is the directional as I didn't want an omni mic with hot moniters pointed at me. Sounds like a recipe for disaster. LOL

Most of the time you see the omni model advertised. You have to ask specifically for the directional and they cost a little more. I had to send the first E6 back because my dealer ordered the wrong one even though I took them a piece of paper with the complete model number written down. They said but this one was cheaper. LOL. They eventually got it right.

I think the model number will have a "d" in it in place of the "o". Also you can order ti to fit almost any cordless bodypack or with an XLR cable connector.

As far as the appearence, it couldn't be more inconspicuous. The head is the size of a match sick and the wire going to it is almost invisible from a couple of rows back.
available in tan or beige for a variety of skin tones.

The only reason stopped using it was the deeper tone of my Sennhieser Mic. My voice needed the help. LOL

Richard

#147789 - 11/21/06 04:48 PM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by HankB:

My mic of choice is the EV 967. This is by far the best mic I have ever used.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=live/search/detail/base_pid/270055/ Hank

Thanx Hank for the reply....Im not too keen on EV after my bad experiences with the ND767 which didnt suit my voice...but I will check it out somehow soon...we'll see whats out there.

#147790 - 11/21/06 06:04 PM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I have a few great high-end microphones, my favorite Beyer.

After reading Beakybird post on a head set from Radio Shack I decided to buy one – The price #29.95
I plugged it into my Tyros 2, for a $29.95 it sounds fantastic. It also blended well with the vocal harmonizer.

Thank you Beakybird, I never would have thought of looking in Radio Shack, especially in that price range.

Another thought; In the larger music stores I understand you can not return a microphone once you have purchase it. (Health law??) Radio Shack said I could return it if I did not like it. Is there such a law?

John C.

#147791 - 11/21/06 06:16 PM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
travlin'easy Offline

Actually, there is no health law, state or U.S., that applies to the return of microphones. I challenged this several times and found that it was nothing more than the store policy, which they hoped would make all mic sales final. This just didn't cut it with me, and in one instance when I told the store owner to produce the law, he said well that's our policy. I told him my policy was to call VISA and tell them to cancel the charge. At that point he accepted the mic and credited my VISA account.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

#147792 - 11/21/06 07:28 PM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
What the heck is Donny talking about, and THEN my eyes catch the dates !!! ...
Donny ... how did you dig this up?!?!?

Tony try the search feature

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online