SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#147679 - 11/29/03 04:27 PM Pa80 or Psr 2100
Grubba99 Offline

Hey. What are the pros and cons od the pa80 and the psr2100??? Which is better overall? Thanx.

#147680 - 11/29/03 05:35 PM Re: Pa80 or Psr 2100
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Everyone has his / her own prefrences so you'll get a different answer on this depending on who responds. What will you be using the keyboard for ? Live work , studio work, home play ?

I can only tell you my preferences. They may mean nothing to you or anyone else here.

I eliminated the 2100 for myself because I don't like the key feel. It feels very soft and unresponsive to me. It doesn't bother some of the other players here as much or at all.

Key feel is the main reason I no longer have a PSR2000. I like the styles better on the PA80, but it only holds two fills per style and I think the fills match the styles better on the Yamaha. Sounds are subjective too. For me the 2100 wins on pianos, acoustic guitars, sax and brass patches, and winds / flutes. The PA80 wins for me on electric guitars, organs, drums, bass, and synth patches. Strings are good on both. Someone else might think the opposite, and really, both have good sounds in most areas. Even for me, some of this can change at any moment given the mood I'm in and the mood of the piece I'm playing.

I like the OS and interface of both, but prefer the PA80's a little better. from what I read here, a majority of the participants on this forum do not. I like the editing capabilities of the PA80. It's a good bit deeper than on the 2100. Many users here don't care very much if at all about this. The 2100 has a harmonizer that most people seem to find to be more user friendly.

Support ( extras .. styles.. software.. etc ) is good for both boards, but the 2100 wins hands down here.

Your best bet is to prioritize what you are looking for by assessing what you plan to do most often with the board. Then take what you might get here and if you can, it would be a good idea to spend some quality time with both. Good Luck

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 11-29-2003).]

#147681 - 11/29/03 10:17 PM Re: Pa80 or Psr 2100
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
My experience has shown me that the Yamaha is stronger as a one-man-band unit right out of the box, but the Korg is more of a player's keyboard, and has a more professional edge to it.
Some important areas of comparison:

construction: Korg wins hands down

key feel: Korg again

sounds: pretty even across the board

styles: Korg is more exciting, Yamaha is more generic. That's a plus if you play dance music, and want simple, basic dance beats. The Korg drum tones are FAR better though.

fills: Korg overdid alot of them - Yamaha got it right.

harmonizer: Korg doesn't give you presets like the Yammy, but it DOES have great sound and you can route the vocals through a separate output to process further. Edge to 2100.

interface: Yammy is easier, Korg is more complete.

ins/outs: Korg wins big here. Separate outs, video outs, audio INs ... much better.

size/weight: both even here

storage: Korg wins with hard drive option

sequencers: Korg has TWO !

third party support: Yammy has an edge because there are tons of users that exchange styles and registrations on the net. The Korg population is smaller, but they DO know their stuff !

ReCap:

Both offer alot for the money, but the Yamaha is a kinder, gentler keyboard. The Korg is Steve Gadd - the Yamaha is Ringo Starr. You decide who you'd rather play with on drums. The rest of the sounds go head to head. If I didn't play so many standards, I'd still have the Korg. It's more exciting.

#147682 - 11/29/03 10:35 PM Re: Pa80 or Psr 2100
Grubba99 Offline

I've tried them both out, though not for very long. I can't really explain why, but the korg seemed a lot more professional. Maybe it was the cheesy icons yamaha puts in. Or maybe its those subtitles on all the voices ( like "cool!" or "live!"). But for some reason, when i used the yamaha i felt like i was using a toy. The korg feels like a much better piece of equiptment. Now that's where I'm really stuck, Because the Korg is like $800 more expensive. I dunno if it's worth it for me to spend $800 because I don't want to use a cheesy keyboard. I mean overall they seemed pretty equal as far as vocies and stuff. But then again you could argue that as a keyboardist, its important to have a keyboard that feels right, even if there is no specific reason why it might be better. Hmmmmm... anyone have any input on the matter???

* The korg did have this ammmmazing organ. It was like a Percus something. I'm in love with it!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online