SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#147592 - 11/15/04 06:30 AM Re: Just got the Logitech Z5500
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Vern,

I was referring to the Master EQ settings. It makes a huge difference.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#147593 - 11/15/04 06:06 PM Re: Just got the Logitech Z5500
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hey Boys and Girls,

Wow! I am borrowing a mixer tonight because the Behringer UB802, which I plan on getting won't be here for a few days. BUT, HOLY COW!

You ought to hear this thing! I just spent a couple minutes plugging it in and now have 4.1 and this has one terrific sound.

I will fiddle around a bit and see if I can get the 5.1. I would think I would be able to one way or the other.

Anyway, the difference in sound using the mixer with the Z5500's is incredible. I could easily leave the JBL's at home. BUT, you should here it with the JBL's going too. Just excellent.This is the kind of sound you kind dream about getting, and here it is! Seems like a deal for $300.

This is looking like it was worth the gamble for me.

I will update you all, as I get to do some fine tuning.

Best
Scott Langholff

#147594 - 11/16/04 05:54 AM Re: Just got the Logitech Z5500
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Scott,

I sincerely believe that once everything is hooked up, properly tuned, and balanced, you'll be hard pressed to hold onto the JBLs.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#147595 - 11/16/04 08:06 AM Re: Just got the Logitech Z5500
STAM Offline

Loc: Brussels, BELGIUM
Hi Scott,
Congratulations for your system.
The Z5500 looks to be an interesting product that can do the job for small rooms.

Can you explain how do you connect the mixer to the Z5500?
What's the input format on the Z5500?
What's the weight of this system?
If you plan to use it on job, how will you place the satellites on the scene?

Thank you
STAM

#147596 - 11/16/04 08:33 PM Re: Just got the Logitech Z5500
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA

#147597 - 11/16/04 08:36 PM Re: Just got the Logitech Z5500
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA

#147598 - 11/17/04 06:05 PM Re: Just got the Logitech Z5500
Scott Langholff Offline

OK, got it figured out. Finally got a little free time. I am now getting 5.1, in stereo of course.

I am using a Behringer UB1002 mixer (until the UB802 comes in, which has a couple stereo channels with Lo, Mid and Hi EQ).

All three Logitech jacks are 1/8" stereo jacks.

The Center/Sub jack is plugged into a 1/4" stereo adapter jack. This I plug into the Headphone jack on the mixer.

The Right Front/Back and Left Front/Back are each plugged into a 1/4" stereo to mono adapter jack. (Radio Shack #274-348). One goes into Control room Right and the other into Control room Left.

The Z5500 Control Box is set for 6 Channel Direct. Adjust volumes for Subwoofer, Center, Surround and Master Volume.

Tweak EQ of keyboard mixer, and off you go.

Sounds quite nice.

I also have my powered JBL Eon 10G2's plugged into the mixer Mains in Left and Right.

Both system's sound good alone, but together, it is absolutely beautiful.

I noticed the piano may need some different tweaking for the Logitech system. I will investigate that as I find time.

So, in this case, I could use the Z5500's alone, the JBL's alone or with the sub only, or all 8 speakers at once. hehe

Best

Scott Langholff

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 11-17-2004).]

#147599 - 11/18/04 10:17 PM Re: Just got the Logitech Z5500
Scott Langholff Offline

So, I'm still experimenting with different combinations, and although I am ready to go to bed it appears to me that if I use a Y adaptor out of the L and R Main on the Tyros to a 1/8" stereo male into the Z5500 I get Left Front and Right Front if using 2 satellite speakers.

But, if I plug into the Headphone out of the Tyros into the Z5500 using a stereo jack on each end, then I get Left Front and Left Rear. This explains why sometimes I was getting a sound that I didn't care for.

The above I'm doing without a mixer.

It seems that the control box reads the signals differently when coming out of the Headphone jack which doesn't really make any sense to me right now.

Either way the best sound I am getting is using the JBL's with the Z5500's.

I think I'll sleep on it. ZZZZZZZZZZZ

#147600 - 11/21/04 12:04 PM Re: Just got the Logitech Z5500
Scott Langholff Offline

Hello

The subwoofer is 13 1/4"W X 13"H X 18"D.

It weighs in at 34 lbs. 188 watts RMS.

I mention this because there may be other people that may want to use these specs in making a choice.

I think a good sub alone with all of these ingredients makes this worth $300. Anything else out there that's available in this country that I'm aware of, including home speaker systems are generally bigger and certainly a lot heavier and costs more money.

All of these factors are at the top of my list for choosing equipment.

Right now, at this stage in the game, if I choose to keep it, I may use the powered JBL 10G2's along with the sub. You can plug the sub right into the headphone jack on the keyboard. No mixer would be needed unless I would want to hook up both the JBL's and the complete Logitech system. I don't think I would care to do that however at this time.

The Z5500 is a good value for $300, and would enhance anyone's built in speakers.

I'm sure some will find it good for their uses playing out as a 5.1. So far, I wouldn't personally use the Z5500's alone.

I am continuing to experiment, but at this time, I would say the Z5500 sattelites are no match for the JBL's.

Together all 8 speakers sound real nice in my living room, but the sattelites and sub alone seems to lack a lot of mid range which I like. And yes, I've tweaked and retweaked the Tyros mixer.

The piano sound seems to suffer the most. A good share of other voices sounds rather nice.

I would say, IMHO, someone using a lot of guitar sounds for country etc, will find this quite usable.

This is the best unbiased analysis I feel I can make at this time.

One would need to try it out for themselves to see if it would meet their requirement. I'm sure a lot of people will love it just the way it comes in the box.

Best
Scott

#147601 - 11/22/04 07:14 PM Re: Just got the Logitech Z5500
Scott Langholff Offline

Found a good case for the subwoofer at Kmart.

It's a 25" Rolling Duffel Bag. Fits perfect around height and width, with a few extra inches lengthwise for accessories. It has some extra pockets also. It runs $24.99.

Made by Pacsports, in black or blue.

It also would work very well for JBL 10" Eons.

Scott

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online