SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#147582 - 11/13/04 05:07 PM Just got the Logitech Z5500
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hello

After all the positive reviews on the Logitech Z2200's, I just HAD to order the 505 watts RMS Z5500's to see how they would work and sound with my Tyros, both as the 5.1 set as it is manufactured and to see what it would sound like with my JBL 10 Eon G2's with the sub alone and with all Logitech and JBL speakers going at once. haha

I am a little stumped though right now. I am trying to figure out the best and easiest way(s) to hook this up in the different configurations I mentioned above.

These are hook-up's I've got to work with:

The Z5500 has 3 stereo mini plugs that go to the control box for Front, Rear, Center/Sub.

Tyros:
Headphone
To Right Speaker(for Yamaha speakers,I think)
Midi A In/Out
Midi B In/Out
Video Out
USB
Line Out: Sub 1, Sub 2, Main R, L/L+R
Aux In/Loop Return: R,L/L+R
Loop Send: R, L/+R
To Subwoofer:R & L (for Yamaha sub, I think)
To Left Speaker(for Yamaha speakers, I think)

JBL Eons:
There is a line out on each speaker.

I'm thinking some of you high tech wizards will know what I need to do. I appreciate all input as always.

I can't hardly wait to get this thing cranking. I've had it for a few days, but just now have the time to test things out.

Interesting to note so far, I ran the built in sound test on the Logitech's and the sub woofer sounds like a fricken' jet is taking off in my living room. 188 watts RMS of jet at that. lol

Also, I really do like that battery operated remote control that came with the unit.

Best

Scott Langholff

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 11-13-2004).]

#147583 - 11/13/04 05:32 PM Re: Just got the Logitech Z5500
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Scott,

I have not orderd mine yet, and was hoping that you would provide some input on the way the system sounds with the keyboard.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#147584 - 11/13/04 05:58 PM Re: Just got the Logitech Z5500
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Scott,
You can't get the true benefit of the 5.1 because your kb transmits in stereo only, but you can run it through a mixer that has separate outs, maybe.
Try this:
Main L & R to front speakers
Sub 1 & Sub 2 to rear speakers
(send at least the drums to these outputs, and maybe all or some of the acc tracks)
Use the loop out to feed the subwoofer ( or the HP jack.

This won't give you true 5.1 but the separation of the drums will add a fullness and added spacial effect to the mix.
If the loop out isn;t strong enough for the sub, then try the HP jack. A mono cable is fine .... the sub is mono anyway.

#147585 - 11/14/04 08:13 AM Re: Just got the Logitech Z5500
ralfaro Offline

Loc: Davie, Fl USA
Scott,

I'll bet they are going to sound awesome. If you can't find a satisfactory way to get them hooked up, you can always just treat the Tyros like the stereo device it is and use one of the dsp effects or 5-ch stereo mode that should be available through the 5500s. I am really anxious to know how it sounds once you finally get them going. As you know, you were the one that originally alerted me to the Z2200's and I am extremely please with their sound.

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
Hello

After all the positive reviews on the Logitech Z2200's, I just HAD to order the 505 watts RMS Z5500's to see how they would work and sound with my Tyros, both as the 5.1 set as it is manufactured and to see what it would sound like with my JBL 10 Eon G2's with the sub alone and with all Logitech and JBL speakers going at once. haha

I am a little stumped though right now. I am trying to figure out the best and easiest way(s) to hook this up in the different configurations I mentioned above.

These are hook-up's I've got to work with:

The Z5500 has 3 stereo mini plugs that go to the control box for Front, Rear, Center/Sub.

Tyros:
Headphone
To Right Speaker(for Yamaha speakers,I think)
Midi A In/Out
Midi B In/Out
Video Out
USB
Line Out: Sub 1, Sub 2, Main R, L/L+R
Aux In/Loop Return: R,L/L+R
Loop Send: R, L/+R
To Subwoofer:R & L (for Yamaha sub, I think)
To Left Speaker(for Yamaha speakers, I think)

JBL Eons:
There is a line out on each speaker.

I'm thinking some of you high tech wizards will know what I need to do. I appreciate all input as always.

I can't hardly wait to get this thing cranking. I've had it for a few days, but just now have the time to test things out.

Interesting to note so far, I ran the built in sound test on the Logitech's and the sub woofer sounds like a fricken' jet is taking off in my living room. 188 watts RMS of jet at that. lol

Also, I really do like that battery operated remote control that came with the unit.

Best

Scott Langholff

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 11-13-2004).]

#147586 - 11/14/04 04:31 PM Re: Just got the Logitech Z5500
Scott Langholff Offline

So far, I've just tried a bunch of different combinations as far as plugging the Logitech in.

I have only been able to try it out in my living room apartment, so I have to try to keep the neighbors happy.haha

So far my wife Jen thinks they sound pretty good as a unit by themselves. Me, so far, I am not that impressed with the satellite speakers. But then, I love the sound of my Eon's. Since I have never used the z2200's, I have nothing to compare it with.

I have tried the sub with my JBL's and I see a good possibility here.

I've noticed that the sub is rather easy to blend with the JBL's. I was pleased at what it did for the acoustic bass. You could almost see the bass player in person. So, it appears to me that a sub is not all boom-boom, thump-thump.

If all it does is to provide me with a very good sub sound, then for me, that was really what I was interested in, especially because of the size, weight, 10" speaker and the 188 watts RMS power.

If I can get some good hi's and/or mid's on the sattelites to suit my taste then fine, if not the sub alone could make it worthwhile.

I think we will both be able to try it out more tonight, and possibly do some reading in the owners manual. (heaven forbid)

Is it typically just the bass guitar, bass fiddle etc. that comes out of the sub, or drums or any other parts?

I've noticed where I can have certain parts come out of the sub 1 and/or 2 output. I tried adding the bass drum and others, but it takes it away from the JBL's which didn't really seem to help the sound, unless it was maybe just the bass guitar.

I will continue experimenting with this for the kind of set up that I wanted. If it works out, fine, if not fine. Then I'll let somebody else try it their way.

I am sure the best test is on the dance floor, in a large room with a bunch of people soaking up the sound. I guess that will be the true test. Again, so far, it looks like the sub could make it.

I found that the best place for the sub to come out of is the headphone jack. Then I still have control over volume with the master volume control. The Loop out has a very stong signal, but I lose the ability to use the master vol control.

The Roland KCW-1, I'm sure sounds good, but it's heavier than I want to play around with.

I may still consider getting an EV sb120a or sb121a as a trial.

Experimental practice is what I call it, whether practicing music or trying equipment.

Best
Scott

#147587 - 11/14/04 04:46 PM Re: Just got the Logitech Z5500
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Scott,

If you're not getting good mids and highs from the system, it sounds as if the keyboard's EQs should be tuned. Try the smiley face setup I posted at Joe Waters' site and see if this doesn't make a big difference.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#147588 - 11/14/04 05:21 PM Re: Just got the Logitech Z5500
Scott Langholff Offline

Hi Gary

Actually I've tried some different eq settings, but again it just might be that the Eons sound to me a lot better.

I'll just keep experimenting.

Like I said, if it doesn't suit me, as far as I'm concerned we could pass this one around. My desire was mostly for the sub.

#147589 - 11/14/04 08:53 PM Re: Just got the Logitech Z5500
Beakybird Offline

Scott,

Can you use the subs alone and leave the satelites at home?

Beakybird

#147590 - 11/14/04 09:51 PM Re: Just got the Logitech Z5500
Scott Langholff Offline

Hi Beakybird

Yes, I've tried it this way mostly. Sounds pretty good. I'd love to really be able to open it where I won't distrub the neighbors....Oh well,......see if they can take a joke, huh? lol

Hey, you might enjoy the sub with your Yamaha speakers. It's small, relatively light and it does make a differenc.

So far, I've been able to get the Logitech going as a 2.1 and a 3.1.

The local place that specializes in things like this and carries Logitech, said ....duh... to my questions.

I may need to try Radio Shack to see it there is a box I can plug all of the Logitech into and also have the JBL's going.

I think I will also try calling Logitech and see what there answer might be.

We've tried a lot of different combinations, enough to make you talk to yourself. haha.

While I knew that all I'd ever get was stereo, I sure thought that I'd be able to get all five speakers working simply and easily.

Uncle Dave: I found the line out control for main, sub 1 and 2 etc. but not just the thing yet and it does not allow me to use the master control.

I'll let you know when I get all the info I need.

The one thing I can tell you already, and I kinda thought this before they arrived is, that a 5.1 system has probably way more cords than I would want to be moving around, which makes me think that I may go JBL and sub, and maybe one or two satelites as a monitor or something.

Scott

#147591 - 11/14/04 11:55 PM Re: Just got the Logitech Z5500
vclocke Offline

Loc: riverside, ca, usa
"Try the smiley face setup I posted at Joe Waters' site"

Gary,

Are you referring to the mic setup you posted sometime back (I think that you, Donny and someone else uses) or are you referring to a NEW setup posted?

Thanks,

vc

------------------
Vern

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online