SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#14704 - 08/20/01 05:34 AM Compressor for Wk8
Vic01 Offline

Loc: Madison, Wisconsin USA
I wish there was a compressor/limiter option in the dsp of the WK8. For some reason I thought there was but after going through the manual and also running through the options in the dsp effects menu alas it does not appear to be there. A compressor/limiter would really be helpful on the vocal input. Here I go with the OS update mantra again. Wheee!!!

#14705 - 08/20/01 01:56 PM Re: Compressor for Wk8
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Vic01,

That is interesting. What compressor settings would you use with vocals?

#14706 - 08/20/01 06:32 PM Re: Compressor for Wk8
Vic01 Offline

What I typically do with a compressor/limiter is set it to raise up the softer parts of the vocal and limit the louder parts to keep from overloading the inputs on the WK8. Most singers can keep from overloading by simply turning away from the mic. I am currently using a headworn mic which obviously eliminates turning away.

#14707 - 08/20/01 08:24 PM Re: Compressor for Wk8
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Vic,

Thanks but I meant what kind of settings?

What compressor ratio? What about the db level? The attack? the release? and so on and so forth. I am very curious.

#14708 - 08/21/01 02:15 AM Re: Compressor for Wk8
JoostMerema Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Hello,

A compressor in the WK8; would the DSP have the power for such a thing? I know the WK8 has an faster processor than the WK4 series, but is it fast enough....

About the processor things; what is the exact power that lies in the DSP / CPU of the general music keyboards? Is the DSP/CPU chip in the Equinox moretheless the same as in a WK8?

If somebody owns a Wk4, WK8 and a WK8SE, I would like to test the compress files function in the backup file-system. I figured out that the WK4 compresses its files with PkZip, so if you check the time it takes and compare.......

i am drifting away from the subject, sorry

greetings,

Joost

[edit: typo]

[This message has been edited by JoostMerema (edited 08-21-2001).]

#14709 - 08/21/01 06:29 AM Re: Compressor for Wk8
Vic01 Offline

Sorry I misunderstood you sk880user. I typically go with a 2:1 ratio a threshold of -20db an attack of 50 ms and a relese of 10 ms. I choose 2:1 to reduce the highest levels by a factor of 2. Seems to work for me. I've been doing this in cakewalk processing the vocal track using a plugin from dsp fx. I would like to do it in "real time" through the WK8. I'll probably just pick up an outboard compresser/limiter but it would be nice to do it within the WK8.

Hi Joost. Regarding your comments on the dsp/cpu being able to perform compression, that is a good question that maybe Chris could shed some light on. I would thing the dsp could be programed to do just about anything. It has some complex reverb functions and we all know how much horse power is chewed up doing reverbs. All these cool features will no doubt be in the next generation of Gem arrangers.

[This message has been edited by Vic01 (edited 08-21-2001).]

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online