SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#146965 - 04/17/02 05:46 AM Quick Dumb questions about Choooords !
Hau Tristan Offline

Loc: HK
Hi,

I am learning to play a song with my PSR2000. The song that I was playing has some chords like C, F and Bb.

I want to know if I see the above chord sign, does it mean I just have to press the single C, F and Bb ? Since it does not mentioned about they were major or minor ....

Another question is I wanted to press the chord say "Am" with my fingers holding those keys until released. My methold is to turn off the acmp. So I can press the chord freely and can release whenever I want. But I don't want to turn off the acmp. How to do it ?

Thanks!

Cowby

#146966 - 04/17/02 06:01 AM Re: Quick Dumb questions about Choooords !
Beakybird Offline

Set your keyboard to multifinger mode. This is the best of both worlds, because you can activate a simple major chord with one finger, and you can also make more complex voicings. Now you should be able to get that Am chord, and you will also be able to activate major chords (like the ones you mentioned) using just one finger.

Larry

#146967 - 04/18/02 04:41 PM Re: Quick Dumb questions about Choooords !
Joe Waters Offline

Loc: Sterling, VA USA
When you see the chords above the lyrics, as in a fake book, C, F, Bb without anything else means the major of those chords, i.e. C-E-G, F-A-C, and Bb-D-F (or any inversion of that major chord).

Although you are a beginner, if you are trying to actually play the chords by fingering them, DO NOT use Multifingered mode. Use FINGERED. In Fingered mode, you cannot get any chords with a single key, like you could in Multifingered. But by the same token, the chord accompaniment isn't bouncing all over the place just because you hit a single key. In Fingered mode, the chord is recognized ONLY when you hold three (or more) notes down. Thus, you can press the A, then add the C, then add the E and only when you add the E, all three notes down, will the accompaniment recognize the Am chord. I use this fingering mode all the time because not only can it detect the chord I want, but I can also play other notes in the accompaniment WITHOUT triggering a new chord. This can add a lot of variety to your arrangements.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online