#146789 - 08/06/05 02:59 PM Re: OT: Print Directly to CD/DVD Media Devices
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by lahawk:
So lightscribe burns CD-R'S

What about DVD-R'S ?

larry

Yep, Larry. $144 for external. About $100 internal.

Best Buy model here .

------------------
Me Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#146790 - 08/06/05 08:52 PM Re: OT: Print Directly to CD/DVD Media Devices
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
For those of you still looking, you might
want to check out the Primivera... http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1032876&CatId=937 it does the same thing in color and I think I read where it only takes like 26 second per print area to write...Tony Rome

#146791 - 08/07/05 01:46 AM Re: OT: Print Directly to CD/DVD Media Devices
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
What does it mean by 'print area'? It's website make explicit mention that it is for 'small run' CD/DVD production..... an obvious synonym for 'slooooow'!

#146792 - 08/07/05 03:47 AM Re: OT: Print Directly to CD/DVD Media Devices
trtjazz Offline

IMO with the lightscribe only scribing in B&W (gray actually)it's almost useless. Until it does full color which I am sure will come, I have no use for it.

About smearing the way around that is to use an artists spray fixative on it.

#146793 - 08/07/05 06:10 AM Re: OT: Print Directly to CD/DVD Media Devices
SemiLiveMusic Offline

LightScribe, I cannot see how it would ever be in color, as it etches the image into the disk.

I've read a LOT about this. If you can spray something over the Epson R300 ink, IMO, I think this is the best value. Beautiful, full color graphics, prints all over, doubles as a desktop printer, and is from a major manufacturer that is likely to stay in business.

I have yet to find info that the spray does or does not work. I read where it could screw up players, the spray could get hot and gum up a player? I have not confirmed this.

More...

Labeling spray . (I have also seen references to art supply store spray.)

CP-88 $79 thermal printer . I have no idea who the manufacturer is but that's the cheapest I've seen.

Seiko thermal printer

PC World article on Primera printer

PC World article on Epson R300

I also read reviews on the Primera thermal printer ($140) on Amazon.com and a couple of people reported a couple of lemons. Replacement units even died. FWIW.

So, *I* would like to know if any spray WORKS such that it does NOT damage players. If anyone knows, advise!

------------------
Me Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#146794 - 08/07/05 06:28 AM Re: OT: Print Directly to CD/DVD Media Devices
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
If you are concerned about gumming up from heat, why don't you try this.
Take any CD of your choice, printed or plain, spray it with matte lacquer (spray can), place it your oven at 200 degrees and then check to see if it gets gummy.
Remember - when cars are painted with lacqer they are baked with infra red heaters - and a CD player will never get as hot as 200 degrees.
Walt

#146795 - 08/07/05 08:07 AM Re: OT: Print Directly to CD/DVD Media Devices
John_CA Offline

Loc: Kern county, CA, USA
After enough problems with labels coming loose after time, turning yellow, or make the cd "wobble" because the label is a fraction off center, I've been looking at the Epson and the Lightscribe technology.

Remembering my Epson color printer I once had and the frequent nozzle cleanings I had to do because of stripes in the printout (and wasting expensive ink), I like the HP system better where you each time also get a new print head.

Furthermore, the Epson cartridges, at $ 12.99 (that's $ 77.94 for the six colors) are impressively little. True that you rarely have to replace all at once, but reading the reviews at CC, it seems that they do run out pretty fast.

If you compare Lightscribe to that, it's only drawback is no color and slower printing (etching), but you can do other things while it makes the label, it's permanent, adds no thickness to the cd, and even though it's monochrome, it does look very classy !

With Lightscribe cd-r's now at $ 19.99 for 30 pieces (Verbatim spindle), printing in color will cost you way more per cd-r.

Gr.
John

------------------
Have a nice day smile

#146796 - 08/07/05 08:33 AM Re: OT: Print Directly to CD/DVD Media Devices
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
During the 5 years I've been dealving out CD's to potential clients and friends, I have never had a single label come loose, at least not one that I know of. I've never had one off center, and lately I've been able to pick up glossy labels at BJ's Wholesale Club at a very good price. Unfortunately, they've been out of stock for the past few weeks, and when they get more I'm gonna' buy a case of them. The quality is as good as it gets, and a light coat of protective spray eliminates any possibility of smearing. As for the thickness of the protective spray, it's microscopically thin, not enough to jam anything, and it's acrylic laquer, which you would have to apply a blow-torch to melt. It never gets gummy, but it can get brittle if too much is sprayed on the label.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#146797 - 08/07/05 08:43 AM Re: OT: Print Directly to CD/DVD Media Devices
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Gary, where do you get the spray?

How do you affix the label to be perfectly straight?

------------------
Me Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#146798 - 08/07/05 09:34 AM Re: OT: Print Directly to CD/DVD Media Devices
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Quote:
Originally posted by SemiLiveMusic:

Yep, Larry. $144 for external. About $100 internal.

Best Buy model here .

I found one at Newegg web site ...$76 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827140007

Larry Hawk

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online