SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#146744 - 10/15/03 03:47 AM M-audio audiophile 2496
STAM Offline

Loc: Brussels, BELGIUM
Can I hear midi files on my pc without external midi device connected with it?

Thanks

STAM

#146745 - 10/15/03 03:58 AM Re: M-audio audiophile 2496
Roel Offline

Hi Stam,

Yes you can ! A software synth (MS) does the 'work' in that case.

You also could use Virtual Canvas (Edirol) ... it has much better sounds.

Roel

#146746 - 10/15/03 04:10 AM Re: M-audio audiophile 2496
STAM Offline

Thank you Roel.

I think to purchase a new sound card (low budget).
Do you think this audiophile 2496 will be better than a soundblaster audigy 2 platinum ex?

Thanks a lot

STAM

#146747 - 10/15/03 04:53 AM Re: M-audio audiophile 2496
Roel Offline

I myself own the AP2496 and am very, very impressed by this card.

In the past I (and other friends) had many problems with Creative cards. (e.g. no ASIO2 drivers, noisy etc)

The AP is low budget but has all I/O a home studio needs (MIDI, digital audio and analog audio)

In the netherlands we say : 'Geen fratsen'

Roel

#146748 - 10/15/03 07:05 AM Re: M-audio audiophile 2496
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I have a Soundblaster Live card and the Audiophile residing on this computer. I went to the Audiophile because of it's specs vs the SB Live and the lower noise floor. It definitely made a difference.

I'm not up to snuff on the newer Audigy card specs, but the only reason I still have the SB Live is because I like to work with soundfonts on occasion. Other than that the Audiophile does everything I need and I get good clean recordings with it.

AJ

#146749 - 10/18/03 07:08 AM Re: M-audio audiophile 2496
STAM Offline

Thanks for the replies

What do you think?
I want to record my keyboard using for example an AP2496. What is the best?
To plug the keyboard direct in the soundcard or thru a mixer?
In terms of sound quality (of the mixer), is there a difference between XLR, RCA or jack outputs? The same question for the soundcard's inputs.

Thank you

STAM

#146750 - 10/18/03 09:41 AM Re: M-audio audiophile 2496
Roel Offline

Stam,

First the differences in connection-types :

1. XLR
In my view the best connector there is for many applications. Both contacts (male + female) are well protected by the metal housing. I never had one problem with these XLR's (Neutrik)

2. Jack (6.3 mm)
A low cost connector-type that often has contact-failures because of corrosion. The male types have contacts that are often touched by human fingers (covered with body fluids ). In fact this is a low quality one)

3. RCA (cinch)
Super low cost type. Works fine for 'static' audio setups (Install & never change wiring)

About the audio-quality :
XLR's are mostly used in balanced environments what means that the cable screens have NO function in the transport of (low-voltage) signals. The cable has 2 signal wires (+ and -)
Radio interference or other electromagnetic fields do not harm the original signals.

Both the Jack & RCA are used in un-balanced cicuits, where EM-waves do have a chance to harm signals.

In my home-studio setup is a Mackie 1202 VLZ mixer and it has a ALT3/4 jacks output (kind of a subgroup)
I use this group for recording to my AP2496 RCA line-input. This wiring is permanent because I make the selection on the 1202 mixer what channel(s) to record.

There is no 'absolute' difference in quality between the XLR, Jack or RCA as long as the connectors/wiring is OK.

#146751 - 10/18/03 01:17 PM Re: M-audio audiophile 2496
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Which is another reason Yammie should start building their Arrangers with XLR inputs/outputs. Hotter signal from a balanced connector, more secure fitting with less chance of corrputing the leads like you can get with the 1/4" connectors. Less chance, "make that NO chance for RF or other 'interfence' type signals ( with 'shielded' Cable of course).

Now the creme de lá creme would be "Digital" I/O's. Of course your equipment would have to be digital too, ie., Digital Mixer, Digital Sound System, etc. As Al stated Digital is a lot quieter and the sound quality improvement is substantial IMO. XLR's and or (Neutrik) connectors are the next best thing I think. I have no idea what Yamaha's reasoning was to give the Tyros 1/4" I/O connectors. Maybe Steve Deming could enlighten us as to "why???????????" Don't ask me, right Steve?

Best regards,
Mike

#146752 - 10/19/03 12:22 AM Re: M-audio audiophile 2496
Roel Offline

The 1/4" (or 6.3 mm) jacks are more or less 'standard' in consumers musical instruments. Balanced circuits are more expensive.

Only a few synths/keyboards are equiped with XLR's for the line-outputs. Some have XLR for microphone input. (e.g. Ketron SD1)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online