SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#146014 - 02/08/04 01:33 PM My review of the Roland EXR 5
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Hold on everyone, I can't make it short...there are so many things to point out that this will be a condensed opinion..

I will make some comparisons to the Yamaha PSR2100[since I owned one], even though the Yamaha list was $1500 and the Roland $800, it will be a good comparison..

First the EXR keyboard construction is solid and compact[no bulky wasted space]..
the key feel is a pleasure after playing the 2100..the buttons feel solid and are located in good areas for performance....

Getting around on the EXR is a mixed bag, some functions you have to hold down a button and change values with another button[need two hands for the most part]...other buttons work great immediately..

Everything is labeled nicely with 25% of the buttons lighted...the rest, good luck in a dark room....the viewing screen is about 2x6 inches and shows what needs to show, including tempo and beat marks..

Sounds are very good[I prefer them over the Yamaha with a few acceptions[not many]..As Bart has mentioned, you have easy access to the primary sounds quickly , the other sounds you need to punch in the three digit numbers to access..

I disagree that the best Roland sounds are on this keyboard..not even close...the Stereo piano is nice but not stellar{ I would have liked the G1000 default piano or the E600 default piano on board]...the disapointment to me is not having the great sounds from the VA series, namely the "scat" patches, the velocity switching acc guitars, and the velocity switching trumpets to name a few..

Midi has limitations.You can not assign different channels to transmit the realtime parts to others[ for example, playing the sounds of an accompanient patch along with your right hand sound] if we could reassign we could have turned the local off and played many other sounds in combinations.Oh well there is one trick I can't talk about...

Speaking of limitations,the USB can only transfer data from your computer to the EXR and vise versa..It treats the EXR as an external hard drive.. you can not play a SMF directly from the USB connection as we can from the PSR2100..this is not terrible, we can load a group of SMF @ drag and drop into the flash memory[actually larger than 1.9 megs]..this can be done quickly[you can load two or three sets quickly and you still have 1.44 meg floppy for additional data[similar to the PSR2100]..

Styles read quickly from the disk or flash, ready to play on the first downbeat of the next measure[Roland still has bragging rights to this]..

You can use USB and midi connections at the same time[although seperate functions, USB to manage data and midi to play from your computer or external sequencer]..

TheMFX effects[insert effects] are great, they are automatically assigned to the main keyboard part , you can over ride or change this MFX to another selection[ if you like your new sound it can be saved in a user program, that you can recall with all the panel settings]..

You can not edit sounds[adsr], styles or SMF's...other than volume levels for styles and sounds...but the Cover function opens the door for many realtime changes..for example in STYLE you only have two variations, but they are grouped[drums and bass,combo, full band]..that yields six variation..but we are not done, times the same six by the 5 Covers...we now have thirty variations of a single style,,all at a touch of a button in "live" play...

The same 5 Covers are available in sequence playback[ should keep boredom to a mininum]...

Now to Standard Midi playback..Roland[GS] is still the best playback and the EXR continues the domination,right patches playing the right effects, including DRUMS..

The EXR has the song marker[simular to the Discover 5] but with an edge..the Discover you have to set your marks and save in the SMF to be at it's best..the EXR[this is a trick] allows us to plave an A and B mark within a sequence in realtime..I found a work around trick that works great...While playing a sequence, you can push the marker button to place a mark for "A"[it will set on the first beat of the next measure after you push the button],,after selecting the "A: mark, select the "B" mark anywhere , it doesn't matter for this trick..{as an example let's say I marked the first beat of the Bridge with "A"]..{and "B" anywhere after,not important], WE are about to end our performance and Six beautiful girls get up to dance[I don't want to stop the song]..at the end of a verse or phrase push the repeat button, on the first beat of the next measure we are back to the bridge[this is important] after we go back to the bridge ,push the repeat button once and this will cancel the "B" marker[the trick], you can actually prepare another "A" mark during this procedure, I doubt you would need to extend the song anymore, but it is available...

Bart, this is for you..If you want to record a song[with accompanient]..turn the volume down for the drums[you can mute the drums later with the Cover button,or turn the volume all the way down and use the metronome]..This recording is done in the "all" record mode..after you record your arrangement, go to "Single record" mode, select track 16, now you can select 2nd drum , select your kit, start record and do your thing....

Here are a few more of my opinions..This Roland sequencer is real and not like the PSR2100 fake sequencer.No comparison..

The EXR speakers are decent, they handle the volume levels the the keyboard puts out,,

Although the SMF's do not show the lyrics in the EXR display..it does read them, you can turn the lyric data to "ON", if you connect to an external device that can show lyrics[Roland Lyric Converter]..it works...

USER PROGRAMS, this is great for Uncle Dave's easy eight or in the EXR's case easy ten..You can set all panel settings including effect changes, styles from disk or flash[Don M, you will have to use this when you get an EXR,to load and keep more country styles...there is no lock outs for anything . not just tempo..The User program gets around this to a certain extent, as long as you don't push onetouch button it will remain in the selected user program,and you can change to any style with the remaining patches in place....

From the factory , you have 103 styles in rom, including 19 loaded in flash, you can load up to 99 in flash memory.. As for bang for the buck, this EXR is a winner..Does it compare with other boards in the price range..YES, it is better than boards that cost more..

BTW,, the G1000 is lightyears better than the EXR,but $800 list,,$800...$800...you get my point...Buy one ...

As for the PSR2100[$1500 list] and the EXR5[$800 list], the feature laden 2100 is better, but for the price point, it is a no brainer for me {EXR} is a keeper...besides you have to play the keyboard and listen to SMF playback[that is why my PSR has a new owner]....

If something important comes up, I will post it....

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 02-08-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 02-08-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 02-14-2004).]

#146015 - 02/08/04 01:57 PM Re: My review of the Roland EXR 5
Dnj Offline

Fran,

As usual another fantastic review of a new model Kb from Roland. Straight forward and to the point and more. This will help many future buyers make a purchase decision for sure. I'll have a few other questions I havn't thought of yet, but Im sure they'll come to mind [eg:EXR-7?] by the time we have breakfast with Uncle Dave Tuesday morning ok? ....

Thanx for Sharing

------------------
www.donnypesce.com

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 02-08-2004).]

#146016 - 02/08/04 02:09 PM Re: My review of the Roland EXR 5
Burkels Offline

Loc: Alkmaar, The Netherlands, Euro...
Well Fran, it seems we quite agree on the quality of the EXR-5 here Nothing to add to that, I said what I had to say in my review. Just one remark about the comparison between the PSR2100 and the EXR-5 - As you pointed out, these are two boards in different priceranges.

In fact the difference is even greater here in The Netherlands (and other Euro-countries). The PSR2100 is listed here for € 1500,- versus the EXR-5 for € 600,-

So... that makes it a very easy choice

#146017 - 02/08/04 03:12 PM Re: My review of the Roland EXR 5
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Fran,
Great review! I noticed you mentioned the Roland had a "real sequencer". Is it like Roland's basic sequencers in their synths? Is it capable of doing any type of loop recording?

Thanks,
Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#146018 - 02/08/04 04:28 PM Re: My review of the Roland EXR 5
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Good review Fran--need to work on your paragraphs though!; Thought I was gonna' go blind reading it on the screen.

Thanks again,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#146019 - 02/08/04 04:36 PM Re: My review of the Roland EXR 5
Fran Carango Offline

Burkels, was my direction of recording your own drums helpfull?

Gary, I don't type [two fingers], I put down as I think,,no time for Paragraphs...besides I didn't expect you die hard Yammy owners to read it anyway..

John, I emailed you the answers to your questions..

Squeak, no , this is a basic 16 track sequencer that works ..No frills or editing capabilities...

#146020 - 02/08/04 05:26 PM Re: My review of the Roland EXR 5
Fran Carango Offline

Gary is that a little easier to read?

#146021 - 02/09/04 12:01 AM Re: My review of the Roland EXR 5
Burkels Offline

Loc: Alkmaar, The Netherlands, Euro...
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Burkels, was my direction of recording your own drums helpfull?

I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds good, although you mention recording with the accompanien, which I prefer not to do. I just want the metronome to click away while I play the drums, starting from scratch. But I guess I could leave the arranger off, start recording using start/stop, mute the drumtrack and play my drums on channel 16... It's worth the try :-)

Thanks for the pointers, though!

#146022 - 02/09/04 02:16 AM Re: My review of the Roland EXR 5
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.
Thanks Fran for this in-depth review and for your email answer.
The suspense is certainly growing whether Roland will now come out with a new top arranger keyboard at Frankfurt Fair , early April......................
Meanwhile I still have the PA1x (61keys) on order.................

#146023 - 02/09/04 05:32 AM Re: My review of the Roland EXR 5
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Fran,

You're getting better at this writing stuff--another couple tries and you'll have it down pat!

Have pitty on an old man's eyes,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online