SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#145749 - 11/16/01 09:09 AM wireless headsets and PSRs
Anonymous
Unregistered

As a gigging performer, I currently use a wired headset, but would love to unteather myself from the PA. Any suggestions for a good wireless headset that works well with the PSR's harmonizers?

#145750 - 11/16/01 11:43 PM Re: wireless headsets and PSRs
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Bsharp & others: Interesting to hear that you perform with a headset mic. I too have considered going the headset route myself but never could figure out how (if it's at all possible) to replicate (soundwise) the kind traditional mic techniques (efx) you can get with a traditional hand held mic. This is commonly called "working the mic" pulling away from the mic, eating the mic, etc.

Are there special techniques/secrets for using headset type mics? Are they suitable for vocal work which require a variety of sounds? crescendo, fades, etc... Can you utilize the mics volume control in some way to emulate the traditional hand held mic efx?

- Scott

#145751 - 11/17/01 03:41 AM Re: wireless headsets and PSRs
BossX Offline

Loc: Chitown, USA
Hello, I use both on my gigs. I prefer the mic on the holder (EV ND757) when doing ... well almost anything.. but when using the wireless headset you simply have to provide most of the dynamics with your ..voice! If you need to get real close for a low note or some thing like that you can push the mic closer to your mouth for that part of the song (it's a real quick push) or pull it away if you need to shout or are pushing your limits. Most of the time time I use them both on and will just push the headset away from my mouth for a particular song, use the mic in the holder, and then go back to the headset. I'm primarily a guitar player and will use the headset to do a stroll or interact with the audience better. I have a friend who plays keys and uses his along with his (Ithink it's a Roland Axe) keyboard on a guitar strap and does the same thing. They are different animals and though I always sound better using the wired mic I get more fun out of the cordless headset. I use an AKG C410. It's agood one but now the model discontinued in favor of the C420. If I could afford it I'd get the one Garth Brooks had made for himself. Hmmmmm... maybe he'll give me his.... yeah... maybe they'll make me the King of Siam!

#145752 - 11/17/01 04:06 AM Re: wireless headsets and PSRs
BossX Offline

Loc: Chitown, USA
P.S. Guy's helpme out ... I'm trying to narrow down which arranger to add to my stage show. I DO NOT have unlimited funds as I make my sole living playing out. I'm a solo and I'm now using Minidiscs and CD's with my backing tracks on them. I play and sing along with those.. and presto I'm a band...sort of. I've been at it for 23 years (only 13 as a solo) I started out using a 4 track cassette recorder and made all my own tracks. I've tried using MIDI sequences exclusively but I missed the background vocals I put in many of my songs. I want to add an arranger to my stage to just have more options and to add more spontaneity to the act. I'll use the arranger at first mainly to play back sequences but will work in the auto accompaniment as I go along. I'm leaning towards the following. I give just one little plus for each:
Korg PA80 (I can see some potential for the Lyrics/video out feature when competing with DJ's and those evil Karaoke guy's for the weddings and parties)
GEM SK760, NO built in SPEAKERS to lug around ... good piano
Yam PSR2000 .. read your review
Let me reiterate I'm a guitar player and a slow clod on keyboards (good enough for sequencing) but I'm a quick learn when I apply myself.
P.S.P.S. The PS was longer than the original note!

#145753 - 11/17/01 08:38 AM Re: wireless headsets and PSRs
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
You might check the weight on the SK76. Even without speakers, it is MUCH heavier than PSR2000 or Korg PA80.
DonM

#145754 - 11/17/01 01:21 PM Re: wireless headsets and PSRs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Scottyee
I know exactly what you mean by "working the mic" but I have found it is impossible to have the best of everything. I had to make a decision between the freedom that a headset gave me and being able to work a stationary mic. I chose the headset and use voice dynamics as much as possible.

Another advantage of the headset: no mic that would be singers can grab to sing along. LOL Although, I do keep one out of sight in the event I decide to to an audience participation bit or announcements have to be made by the people that hire me.

#145755 - 11/17/01 08:36 PM Re: wireless headsets and PSRs
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Guest singers--the thorn in the side of performers! My guest mic has no on/off switch. I mute it on the mixer. I've actually had people come onstage, pick it up and sing along the entire song without it being on. Only invited guests get to hear it in the p.a.! If someone tries to grab my personal mic, I will stop in the middle of a song if necessary. I told a guy one time, over the mic, that I didn't share my mic with anyone. He asked why, and I told him I was afraid that one of us might have a disease.
I've found that since (K-word) has gotten so popular that this is a bigger problem that ever. They sometimes don't even ask--just come up, even pick up a book off my music rack as if they own the place.
This reinforces my decision to concentrate on Nursing Homes.
Fact is, the customers don't mean any harm. They just wish they could do what we do, and I suppose we should be flattered. One of my most loyal "fans" owns a t.v. repair shop and, although he would like to be a singer, really can't carry a tune. I told him once that if he tried to sing with me again, I would get drunk the next morning, come to his shop and help him work on t.v.s. Fortunately, he laughed, but never tried to sing with me again.
DonM

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online