SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#145631 - 06/15/06 01:08 PM Why do they continue to torture us
RobertG Offline

Loc: Southeastern PA, USA
Can someone explain this to me. Roland has come out with three new arrangers 50/60/80

50 = Lower price/features of the three

I understand that

50 = More bells and 76 keys.

That makes sense.

80 = Best features and 60 keys.

Huh?

I understand that the 80 is to go up against the T2. Please, no Yamaha vs. Roland banter needed. Some have written that the manufactures, particularly Yamaha, do not see the value of a 76 key arranger for the prosumer market because the typical buyer is the consumer who is happy with 60 keys. I would bow to their wisdom but continue to complain in the hopes of there being a 76 key T3.

So here comes Roland with three new models and it puts the 76 key unit in the middle. I don't get it. If the E80 was 76 keys I would have considered waiting for it. Instead, I bought a T2. I am very happy with it. I just long for more keys.

My uninformed opinion is that people would willing pay for a high-end 76 key arranger and 60 keys is a frustrating compromise.

I hope someone on Synthzone, smarter than me, can give some new insight into what the manufactures are thinking.

[This message has been edited by RobertG (edited 06-15-2006).]

#145632 - 06/15/06 01:55 PM Re: Why do they continue to torture us
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
There is a rumor that the 3k replacement will have 76 keys.

Only a rumor, but you never can tell...

Ian

#145633 - 06/15/06 02:10 PM Re: Why do they continue to torture us
abacus Online   content

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Over the 15 – 20 years that arrangers have been available, Technics & Yamaha have always marketed there arrangers to the consumer not professional market, (Yamaha keeping there synth/sampling instruments for that market)
Roland and Korg did not enter the consumer market until some considerable time later, and so unlike Technics and Yamaha, did not understand the market.
Korg decided not to make a dedicated consumer line of instruments, but instead modified and simplified their professional keyboards to the consumer market. (Hence the pain in the butt OS)
Technics (Unfortunately no longer made) on the other hand were always made for the consumer market. (Hence the easy to use OS)
Roland however, never made a solid decision, and so swing between consumer and professional for their arrangers. (Hence the E60 has 76 keys and the E80 has 61)
Hope this helps.

Bill

#145634 - 06/15/06 03:11 PM Re: Why do they continue to torture us
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
Robert,

In all fairness, you are overlooking the G70 - it has virtually the same features as the E80 (less one expansion slot and built-in speakers, but is a bit lighter), sliders, touch-screen, and all, AND it has 76 keys of really good quality.

I have been (and will continue) harping at Roland for forcing us to use their atrocious touchscreen - I hate it for playing live and having to change things on the fly - but when it comes to the quality and number of the keys, Roland (and Ketron) have been listening to the professional (and semi-pro) players, who do need the longer keyboards. I wish Yamaha had done the same.

Regards,
Alex

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online