SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#14556 - 01/16/03 10:47 AM Re: What are your thoughts about Genesys?
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
the hanging note happened on Sk880 also. But not that often.

Leon, I know.

[This message has been edited by sk880user (edited 01-17-2003).]

#14557 - 01/22/03 03:03 PM Re: What are your thoughts about Genesys?
kevind Offline

Loc: Manchester UK
I have said this b4 but on a different thread, after using a WX2 with megafloppy for well over 1250 gigs I felt the need for a new keyboard if only for the worry of a breakdown, I like Gem but the Genesis for me was far too heavy and an awkward shape to case, my money went on the WK8 SE in fact two !! one for home one for gigs, I can't help thinking apart form the weight / shape issue there is an amount of recycling of old tech on this, 2 gig is nothing for a HD these days and it still looks like an old 8x3 file system, the sequencer looks the same size as 9yrs ago, not knocking just observing and buying equipment

#14558 - 01/22/03 09:53 PM Re: What are your thoughts about Genesys?
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Kevind I would like to coment on your post
"I like Gem but the Genesis for me was far too heavy and an awkward shape to case"
At the NAMM show this week Generalmusic displayed the new Genesys Pro which is 41 lbs. and has a flat top with a pop up screen. In my opinion, this was a must for this keyboard. I've also been told that on future Genesys keyboards with speakers, the weight will be reduced because of a change in the internal power supply being changed to a lighter one.
"I can't help thinking apart form the weight / shape issue there is an amount of recycling of old tech on this"
Generalmusic chose to keep the best features of the WK series, mainly the sequencer on Genesys. They also kept the original sounds so that the compatability issue would not be an issue and they still added over 300 brand new sounds. They also put mostly new styles with different minor and major intros and endings into Genesys, something the other companies haven't done.
"2 gig is nothing for a HD these days and it still looks like an old 8x3 file system"
I complained originally about only using a 2 GB drive but I was told that because you have a CD/RW drive, you don't need a larger hard drive because you can save everything on a CD/RW.
"the sequencer looks the same size as 9yrs ago, not knocking just observing and buying equipment"
I think the Generalmusic sequencer is the most complete and most professional of all the keyboard companys. I'm glad they left this part alone.
After selling Generalmusic keyboards since 1995 along with Ketron, Yamaha, Roland and others, I just think the Genesys is a very good keyboard and with the new Pro version coming in March I think a lot of potential customers will like the revisions alot.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, california
(Retired 2021)

#14559 - 01/23/03 04:27 PM Re: What are your thoughts about Genesys?
kevind Offline

Loc: Manchester UK
Yes George and everyone else, Funny here in the UK Gem have never reached the respect they deserve, I found them quite by accident in a local shop and was amazed at what seemed to be a secret firm they still don't have a solid UK distribution and in fact my second purchase went to Eire, my comments were as a buyer and live gigger who has bought a house and sent two kids to Uni on earnigs " and talent !?" made possible by Gem keyboards, They have got some things wrong who dosen't but from your post it looks like they are going partly in the right direction, I do though have a few reservations on things like 2 Gig is fine because you can write, who wants a stack of CD's , and if you can afford can you put in a 40+gig? no because it is still using old tech wich is wrong, but still love these products hence buying two WK 8's which will probably see me into retirement
Kevin

#14560 - 01/24/03 08:22 AM Re: What are your thoughts about Genesys?
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
I need to get my act together and go sample a genesys and then write a review.

#14561 - 01/28/03 11:55 PM Re: What are your thoughts about Genesys?
PaulD Offline

Loc: Eugene, OR
Quote:
Originally posted by msutliff:
Hey Joost,

Then, I wanted to see how the playing a midi file directly off a floppy worked. Both the salesman and I sat there pressing buttons after buttons and couldn't make it happen. None of the choices made any sense...So I grabbed the manual. Finally figured it out...You have to do this, then this, THEN this. Oh, I get it now. So I wrote it off as a 'first time user inexperienced' kind of thing. Then, I tried to change an instrument on one of the tracks before the midi started to play....Can't do it. The midi has to be loaded into RAM if you plan on making any changes. Bummer cause thats what takes all the time, loading the songs into RAM, whether from a floppy, CD-ROM, or hard drive. I wonder if other keyboards are the same in that respect.
[This message has been edited by msutliff (edited 01-15-2003).]

The navagation is a bit diffrent the the WK/SK series before (thankfully) They really did try to make it a more user friendly instrument. Which in my opinion have succeeded in doing. Editing a midi file on almost any instrument isn't easy, and some it's impossible. Generalmusic took the approach that most people that just want to play a quick song, are not going to want to edit the song. With this, you just press the select button, choice the song and press play... instantly they song is playing. If you want to change the instruments and mess around with the seaquence, you can just hit the mixer button, and select the track you want to change, you are now changing the insruments. Remember you need to be in single sound mode to change instruments.

Another point about the display, Color screens or touch screens add more cost to the bottom line of the instrument. The display works, and makes it easy to get around on the instrument with easy.

If you don't like a sound, add one you do like, Illio, or Spectrosonics have some incredible sounds you can load into the instrument. The best part about it, is that the whole instrument works on Flash Ram, so when you load the sound in the instrument, you will not have to re-load it, just because you turned off the instrument... the genesys is capible of loading Kurzweil, AIFF, AKAI, WAV samples, all right from the built in floppy or CD ROM, even better, you can store samples that you don't use all the time, onto the hard drive.

#14562 - 01/29/03 03:29 AM Re: What are your thoughts about Genesys?
JoostMerema Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Quote:
Another point about the display, Color screens or touch screens add more cost to the bottom line of the instrument. The display works, and makes it easy to get around on the instrument with easy.

Yeah, you are right. But I have to conclude that other manifacturers succeed in producing a workstation for the same price as a Genesys, with colour / touchscreen. And I don't believe that GEM eg has very expensive buttons or something.

Quote:
If you don't like a sound, add one you do like, Illio, or Spectrosonics have some incredible sounds you can load into the instrument. The best part about it, is that the whole instrument works on Flash Ram, so when you load the sound in the instrument, you will not have to re-load it, just because you turned off the instrument...

I presume that you mix two different functions. On one hand you have battery backed RAM, which stores the samples you load into it. The WK4 had it also; it is a great function, I use the 8MB backed in my Equinox for the PRO piano samples; but it is far from new. On the other hand you have Flash memory, which allows you to load a new version of the OS. For example, the last update for the Equinox, which is still the GEM synthesizer flagship dates 11/10/2000 (> 2 years ago). Flame intended GEM!!!!!!! The WK8 also has the function which allows GEM updates to modify/add styles and sounds in the Flash part.

So, the user can only load samples in the RAM part; GEM also has acces to the Flash memory. These are two different things.

Oh, one more thing about the MIDI file loading thing. You are right about the avarage user not editing a MIDI file alot. But is editing the MIDI file in the sequencer much harder than in the WKx? Hope not.

Who in this group wants to buy the thing? I hear alot of critics, and no really enthousiastic reactions. Why not?

#14563 - 01/29/03 10:53 AM Re: What are your thoughts about Genesys?
PaulD Offline

Loc: Eugene, OR
Quote:
Originally posted by JoostMerema:

Yeah, you are right. But I have to conclude that other manifacturers succeed in producing a workstation for the same price as a Genesys, with colour / touchscreen. And I don't believe that GEM eg has very expensive buttons or something.

HardDisk recording, CDRW, Vocal Processor, Video outputs, Best sounding speaker system, high quality keybed, 200+ preloaded songs with lyrics, MP3 player. These all cost money, as well as the R&D cost that go into the instrument.

Quote:

I presume that you mix two different functions. On one hand you have battery backed RAM, which stores the samples you load into it.

So, the user can only load samples in the RAM part; GEM also has acces to the Flash memory. These are two different things.

There is no RAM in the Genesys. Everything is flash.
Quote:

Oh, one more thing about the MIDI file loading thing. You are right about the avarage user not editing a MIDI file alot. But is editing the MIDI file in the sequencer much harder than in the WKx? Hope not.

Honestly, I have never tried to edit a midi file using the WK/SK series instrument. I have on the genesys, is it is very stright forward (for an onboard seaquencer, it is the easiest to use out of every instrument I have worked with)
Quote:

Who in this group wants to buy the thing? I hear alot of critics, and no really enthousiastic reactions. Why not?[/B]

I am as puzzled as you are. I know there are a lot of people that own genesys instruments, and love them. I personal love the instrument. My biggest complaint about the instrument is it's weight, which is being worked on. I think once the genesys PRO61 starts shipping you will hear more people in this forum talking about it. If you sit down with the instrument for sometime, and read the owners manual that was written in great detail and easy to understand (Thanks Chris!) you will be amazed at the power, and ease of use. This instrument is not a pretty WK or SK, sure, they took the parts of those instruments people loved, such as the seaquencer, but this is a new instrument, with expandiblity that no one knows about.

#14564 - 01/29/03 12:09 PM Re: What are your thoughts about Genesys?
Dazza Offline

Loc: Great Britain

This instrument is not a pretty WK or SK, sure, they took the parts of those instruments people loved, such as the seaquencer, but this is a new instrument, with expandiblity that no one knows about

Perhaps someone should tell us abut this then and convince us!!!!

I have a WK8 and have played Genysis. Firstly it has the WK8 gubbins in it. This i like. The rest is new sounds and some new styles.

I dont need a CD Writer - have this on a PC most likely better quality as well.

I can load sampled sounds into wk8 so all i need is the new sounds on the genysis.......... i wonder if i search the software site of Gem if i would find them and save myself some dosh

Dazza

#14565 - 01/29/03 03:20 PM Re: What are your thoughts about Genesys?
JoostMerema Offline

Loc: Netherlands
PaulD,

Thanx for clearing out that memory thing. Interesting that the G only has Flash...

I am wondering: If GEM would make a G-lite version... no hard-disk recording, no vocal proc, no CD-RW, no speakers, no video output, no mp3 playback... Just the new keyboard, new sounds, new styles, new lay-out; all the other things you mentioned in a 66/76 key version; I think it would sell better. I say WK6<>WK8; the same principle

Who would agree? I would go for it for a lower price (hey, I'm still student )

Greetings,
Joost

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online