SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#145276 - 02/11/04 08:13 PM terry others how to
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Terry,

Questions about a stand-alone. All I need is a tint of reverb on some slow ballads. I don't want to change my sound very much. If it records a bit high or too low I may want to put a tint of bass or treble.

I won't want to do anything to the sequences from the i30 or some of the midi files I want to use. They sound very good to me. I assume I can record the sequence for the i30 in Audio in a stand-alone and then come back on another track and record the Sax audio and everything should be synchronized perfect?

To me this should be simple on the computer also but I can't even get the sound together.

So, say with a Fostex or any brand stand-alone, the recording is good enough for me:

1. How do I get it into the computer?
2. Can I go straight to EZ CD recorder to burn a CD?
3. Or, do I need another $200 piece of software and another nightmare?

You sound like you know all of this by heart.

My wife started all of this. She wants me to do some sax stuff on a CD for the family. I did some vocal things with my Mini Disk that sounds great to the family right? But I'm a sax man I'm not gonna send out stuff with mistakes that I can fix with punch in.

[This message has been edited by brickboo (edited 02-11-2004).]

#145277 - 02/12/04 05:47 AM Re: terry others how to
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
There are many ways to master your projects. The best I have found is to use a program called Sony Sound Forge, which can not only add the touches of reverb and EQ to the overall project you want but it can compress your music to get the maximum sound on CD without clipping.

The sound is input to the computer via whatever inputs you have on your computer soundcard. From there, Sound Forge can do whatever is needed including burning the songs to CD. It's an expensive program but for me it's a must-have to get that polished finish. Similar programs include Cool Edit Pro (now called Apple Audition).

#145278 - 02/12/04 07:29 AM Re: terry others how to
Tomcat Offline

Loc: Ft Collins Colorado, USA
OOOOOps! Cool Edit Pro is now called ADOBE Audition. Apple bought Emagic so it became Apple Logic, LOL

I agree that Sound Forge is a wonderful program and it is what I also use for editing/mastering after I record on my Korg D1600, but it is $300 (and worth it). There is, however, an inexpensive program you can try called Goldwave which is shareware and is $40 that will do an amazing amount of work for that price. You can download a demo version and use it to see if you want to buy; it is fully functional for several weeks and then it starts doing something to incourage you to buy it but I don't remember what.

Also, you can download a fully functional demo of Adobe Audition that works for 30 days before it quits. Some people like to use it as an editor as well as audio only recorder, however, it too is $300. Using Sound Forge you can burn directly to CD whereas using Audition you will have to take the wave files to EZ CD Creator (or other program) in order to burn to CD. I personally take it from Sound Forge to EZ CD Creator because I like that burner program best.

The way I get things into Sound Forge is that I take the songs out of the D1600 (a digital multitrack hard drive recorder) as a wave file on a data CD and then simply put the CD into my laptop and load the wave file into Sound Forge, which, btw, comes with a very good selection of DirectX plugins for making your song sound the way YOU want it to.

Tom

------------------
Bigger is not always better

#145279 - 02/12/04 07:59 AM Re: terry others how to
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Ooops is right - I knew it was Adobe that bought Cool Edit Pro but I was thinking about Logic. Lots to keep up with these days...

#145280 - 02/12/04 09:31 AM Re: terry others how to
trtjazz Offline

brick
Sounds like you have the answers here already. Like Tomcat (sort of) if I am going from h/d to pc, I burn to a cd and then just put the cd in my pc or laptop.

I actually have a step in between and that is I mix down from my Tascam to an Alesis Masterlink, then I burn to a cd. I have also burned to cd right on my Tascam.

Another way you can go about this is to do all your recording on a h/d recorder, then hook up the outputs to your pc or laptop, either through the soundcard or an interface and just rerecord it into and sequencing program. This is essentially what I am doing mixing to the Alesis.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#145281 - 02/12/04 01:04 PM Re: terry others how to
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
I will settle for recording to maybe the Fostex MR8 experiment with a little reverb and that's it. I've had it with software.

Isn't there some way to connect the Fostex to the computer push a button and some piece of simple software will do what ever it has to do get the format (whatever that means) converted to whatever format it needs to be, so I can tell EZ CD Creator to make a CD of out of these songs from the Fostex?

I really am not interested in editing anything on a computer other than in word processing. I don't want to look at console screens and effects screens to ad reverb and raise the volume here and there for balance. I just want to add a little reverb on a few ballads to my Sax (I don’t need reverb on up tempo Jazz charts and such that I play).

I’d just as soon do all of the little editing I’m going to do in a stand-alone recorder by just turning a knob or pushing a button before I dump it into the computer to burn a CD. That is all I’m interested in when I get it into the computer, is burn the CD.

I'm sure I could fool with all the little things in software and really screw up and take years to figure out the software and years to make a CD. I don’t have time to figure all of this out. I’m too dang old. If there's not an easier way, I'm going to have to give up.

I put my extra time in building songs (sequences to accompany my sax playing) and practicing my ax (Sax). I don't want to get heavy into the techie stuff of software. If absolutely necessary I will record to my mini disk and leave the mistakes in.

Other than the mistakes, to me, the mini disk sounds a million times better than any thing I’ve tried in the olden (not necessarily the golden) days with tape deck of friends of mine. I really want to be able to record easily and punch in and out to fix a few bad notes or whatever. That’s it!

I can play all night live and after I warm up you can count the mistakes on one hand for the rest of the night When I turn the recorder on, you’d need two hands or more to count the mistakes in every tune.

Squeak the Fostex is looking better all the time. I just don’t want to have to spend $300 on software to get the tunes into my computer to burn a CD.

If I'm gonna spend $300 on the Fostex and $300 on software I'd just as soon spend $600 on the one that comes with a hard drive and a CD burner al together. I can't spend that much now.

[This message has been edited by brickboo (edited 02-12-2004).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online